Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
omgcupcake
Registered Users
seller

Would you re-steal something?

A few weeks ago, I left my laundry basket in my complex's laundry room while I was washing and drying stuff. I did it all the time, and other people do too, and never had any problems but that time someone stole my basket. It was the only basket that I had, so I had to get a new one. It wasn't the biggest disaster in the history of the world or anything, but still annoying. Ever since then, I always look around the laundry room whenever I'm in there to see if maybe I'll see my basket. Today, it was there! I know for a fact that it's mine because that day I was washing poopy baby blankets, and I had noticed as I was loading stuff into the machine that one of the blankets had left poop inside of the basket, and the poop was still there! Also, my ds had colored all over the outside of it with purple crayon. I'm 1000000% positive that it's my basket, and no one was in the laundry room with me, so I took it back up to my apartment. Sooo I stole it, but it was stolen from me to begin with, so does that make it ok? I kind of feel bad, because maybe whoever took it is in a really tough spot that they can't afford to buy a laundry basket of their own, but at the same time... it was mine!

Advertisement

Maine-ly Cloth Blog
omgcupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Would you re-steal something?

If they are in a tough spot that does not give excuse to steal. Laundry baskets are nit even essential to a goo quality of life. And no I don't think you stole your basket. You retrieved or recovered it.

I wonder what they would have thought if they new about the baby poop. But then I have had my not fully washed dirty underwear stolen from inside my still running top load washer at the laundermat so who knows.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Um yes!I don't consider it "stealing" back. If it was your car you wouldn't consider it stealing.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

you're not stealing, IMO.

Stealing would be taking something that ISN'T yours.

Now, if you'd broken into their apartment or car and took it, uh, yea. That's way over the top.

Or if you said it "looked" like yours I'd have said something like, "You know they sold more than one of those, right?"

But being that it had distinguishing characteristics, I don't see anything wrong with taking it back.

I mean, if you filed a police report (not like you would but follow me here...) and you told them all the details and they found a basket matching those characteristics to a tee, they'd likely give it back to you. What's the difference?

I don't feel bad for thieves, ever. If the loser would have ASKED you honestly "Hey I'm really hard up for cash and I NEED a laundry basket, could I please have your purple crayoned, poop-stained basket? I really NEED it." You may have said yes. Instead they stole it. Sorry. No sympathy from me for thieves.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd take it back! It's not stealing if it belongs to you .
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
you're not stealing, IMO.

Stealing would be taking something that ISN'T yours.

Now, if you'd broken into their apartment or car and took it, uh, yea. That's way over the top.

Or if you said it "looked" like yours I'd have said something like, "You know they sold more than one of those, right?"

But being that it had distinguishing characteristics, I don't see anything wrong with taking it back.

I mean, if you filed a police report (not like you would but follow me here...) and you told them all the details and they found a basket matching those characteristics to a tee, they'd likely give it back to you. What's the difference?

I don't feel bad for thieves, ever. If the loser would have ASKED you honestly "Hey I'm really hard up for cash and I NEED a laundry basket, could I please have your purple crayoned, poop-stained basket? I really NEED it." You may have said yes. Instead they stole it. Sorry. No sympathy from me for thieves.
Love this post!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
omgcupcake
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
If they are in a tough spot that does not give excuse to steal. Laundry baskets are nit even essential to a goo quality of life. And no I don't think you stole your basket. You retrieved or recovered it.

I wonder what they would have thought if they new about the baby poop. But then I have had my not fully washed dirty underwear stolen from inside my still running top load washer at the laundermat so who knows.
Exactly... they could have just used trash bags like I had to until I was able to find a ride to Wal Mart to buy my new one. The baby poop part grosses me out a lot. I used a bleach wipe all over the whole thing once I got it back up here

Maine-ly Cloth Blog
omgcupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's not stealing when it's yours! It's called retreiving it back. LOL! You didn't steal it, they did. If they give u issues about it, tell them they stole it from u, and show them the poop inside. I'm sure they won't want it back after that! LOL!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont consider that stealing
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

take it!