Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Rheumatoid Arthritis

Was wondering if anyone here has rheumatoid arthritis? Did it get better during your pregnancy? If so, when did you notice the improvement? I'm 13 weeks and I was feeling ok, then my mom passed away and I started to flare up. That was about 3 weeks ago. The flares come & go and usually it's at night when I wake up (mainly in knees & hands). Tonight my whole body started feeling like a huge flare was on the way. I was really looking forward to feeling better! Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Anyone have any experience?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis

I haven't been diagnosed with it very long (and I didn't tell my MFM ). It seems like in early pregnancy it was much better. It was like heaven, lol. My hands and shoulders didn't hurt at all! I have a skin rash that erupts over the affected joints, too, and that went away completely. But, then it came back by the second trimester. Only now I can't take my anti-inflammatory, so it is quite uncomfortable. It's still not as bad as it was pre-preg, though.

I've had symptoms for a long time now, like almost 10 years, and it has never affected my pregnancies, so I am not doing anything about it ATM. Since I can live with it for a while longer, and it has never had a negative impact on my pregnancies, I feel better not taking the drugs for it than taking the drugs, but that is a very personal choice. I think mine is mild overall, too. Despite having trouble for several years my finger joints are just now starting look funky, and I have full mobility still, too. If it was more severe, I would probably make a different choice, KWIM?

I had a really nasty flare when my dad was staying with us, and I am making a huge effort to try to be as stress free as possible, and my family has been absolutely wonderful. I'm very sorry about your mom. My dad has stage 4 cancer, and when he was staying with us, I was under huge amounts of stress, and I started having more problems. I know it's hard not to stress in a situation like you are going through. Its funny how much it affects it, isn't it? I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis

Thought i would chime in here, even though I am not positive I have RA, the dr. I saw 8 yrs ago thought it was prob. that, test was borderline...but I have been either preggo/nursing almost constantly since then so haven't been retested....anyway, my symptoms are usually much better during pregnancy and as far as I can recollect my symptoms are pretty much gone the whole preg. (though I don't remember exactly how soon I noticed that), but my biggest prob. is that symptoms come back w. a vengeance after birth My youngest is 4 1/2 mos. and I am really having quite a lot of joint pain/stiffness, esp. in my hands/fingers. Don't know if that helps you at all to know, but it is something that for me it is helpful for me to be prepared for, hope your symptoms improve soon!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247mom
Thought i would chime in here, even though I am not positive I have RA, the dr. I saw 8 yrs ago thought it was prob. that, test was borderline...but I have been either preggo/nursing almost constantly since then so haven't been retested....anyway, my symptoms are usually much better during pregnancy and as far as I can recollect my symptoms are pretty much gone the whole preg. (though I don't remember exactly how soon I noticed that), but my biggest prob. is that symptoms come back w. a vengeance after birth My youngest is 4 1/2 mos. and I am really having quite a lot of joint pain/stiffness, esp. in my hands/fingers. Don't know if that helps you at all to know, but it is something that for me it is helpful for me to be prepared for, hope your symptoms improve soon!
It does sound like RA I'm glad you warned me that your youngest is 4 1/2 months old and that you are still having a good bit of stiffness/pain. I had in my mind that I'd flare sometime after I give birth but that flare would only last for a week or so. At least now I can prepare for a longer flare than I was initially thinking it would be. I do hope my symptoms get better soon. I felt really bad that night I posted this but the next day I felt better & actually had the most productive day since I got pregnant. It really can change day by day! Thanks for your advise/experience!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
I haven't been diagnosed with it very long (and I didn't tell my MFM ). It seems like in early pregnancy it was much better. It was like heaven, lol. My hands and shoulders didn't hurt at all! I have a skin rash that erupts over the affected joints, too, and that went away completely. But, then it came back by the second trimester. Only now I can't take my anti-inflammatory, so it is quite uncomfortable. It's still not as bad as it was pre-preg, though.

I've had symptoms for a long time now, like almost 10 years, and it has never affected my pregnancies, so I am not doing anything about it ATM. Since I can live with it for a while longer, and it has never had a negative impact on my pregnancies, I feel better not taking the drugs for it than taking the drugs, but that is a very personal choice. I think mine is mild overall, too. Despite having trouble for several years my finger joints are just now starting look funky, and I have full mobility still, too. If it was more severe, I would probably make a different choice, KWIM?

I had a really nasty flare when my dad was staying with us, and I am making a huge effort to try to be as stress free as possible, and my family has been absolutely wonderful. I'm very sorry about your mom. My dad has stage 4 cancer, and when he was staying with us, I was under huge amounts of stress, and I started having more problems. I know it's hard not to stress in a situation like you are going through. Its funny how much it affects it, isn't it? I hope you feel better soon.
I've been diagnosed for about 5 years. However, I had it for several years before that. I just didn't put it all together that my symptoms were linked. Mine is moderate/severe and I had been on injections (humira) and methotrexate. Stress really does affect it! I thought I was handling everything really well with my mom until I had my 12 week apt & my blood pressure was high. The week before my mom passed and we (my dad and I) had to get everything planned and then we buried her Friday and my alt was that Monday. I follow up this Monday but I do think I got it down again.
As far as meds I don't want to take anything while I'm pregnant. I feel like 5 years from now they will realize it isn't actually safe. I used to respond well to prednisone but then that started dropping my potassium horribly so that's out of the question for good. My rheumatologist said we could do injections in the joint that's bothering me most, but I'm only going to use that as a last resort. Thanks for sharing your experience with me!