Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #141
motherofeden
Registered Users

Re: Who's ready for Fuzzibunz on Shark Tank!??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
If you ever want to sell those Mothering mags lemme know
The patent office has been disclosed long ago everything that they need to know. We abide by the rules of the legal process and the patent office and I know them well. Since 2003 we have disclosed any prior art found either by lay person or patent attorney and have proved my patent valid and continue to fight for it. I will not stop fighting. And to everyone who has fought for what they believe in and for what they fought for was right, I encourage them to continue to do so. I hope for my children's sake it is worth it.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #142
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher0105 View Post
Plus there are better designs out there. She is not the first innovator to have someone take an idea and improve upon it. Isn't that the beauty of a free market system? FuzziBunz aren't all bad but I like most other pocket diapers better.
I agree and I love competition, but pay the IP holder for what they contribute. Make it better, market that quality and compete on that. I have paid others for their contributions, I will continue to pay. It is the right thing. It is a smart business thing to do. I do it and others should too. Period. Just do the right thing. If you have a better more marketable stay dry pocket design pay the money to patent and defend that. Don't profit off of someone else and pay them nothing. We are all work at home moms. I am too. I have three children. I am single. This community needs to start promoting doing the right thing in this industry. Great ideas are not free license. Find a polyester stay dry lining of a pocket diaper prior to FuzziBunz and feel free to disclose it to my patent examiner. It's the law. If I don't deserve that patent, then I don't. That is fine. But until the USPTO decides that it is THEIR decision.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #143
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
An explanation is one thing but she sounded SO bitter and angry. I would be, too. But I think with better marketing and customer service, she could be doing quite well (better) despite everyone stealing from her.

Did she say what it cost her to make a diaper? If she did, I didn't catch it. I'm curious, though.
Sure, if we had the money to promote how much better we are we would, but we don't. It's really sad. We are the better diaper, we are the one with more innovation and despite what some bitter people say on this list we are the ones who go far beyond what others do for our customers because we believe in our product. But it is sad to say the one "kid with the most toys wins" at the end of the day. The company with the most money at the end of the day wins, venture capital, private investments, luck who knows. But FuzziBunz has the best luck at the end of the day because we do not sell out, we believe in what we believe in and we sell and continue to innovate in an industry we believe in. Period. It is what it is.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #144
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
No, she didn't--I'm sure it was discussed ahead of time. In general the industry seems to have agreed that that information isn't divulged; I can't imagine she would go so far as to break that trust.

I agree. The tone made me wince repeatedly. If you aren't familiar with New Orleans (where she is from) mannerisms, it sounds even worse. I thought she came out looking fierce and sounding polished, but I was disappointed in the way the questions led to shrill ranting. But even without the shrill ranting, the numbers spoke for themselves and she would not have gotten an investor. 20k profits from a year of 3.9 million in sales? Who wants to pay $500,000 for 15% of 20,000 each year? I mean, obviously the goal would be to raise that bottom line exponentially, but that projected course probably has a looooong, slow curve even with a $500k cash infusion.

I think she knew, given what she knew her numbers were, that she wasn't going to hook an investor and decided to use the screen time as a national platform for raising awareness about IP squatting in this industry and in boutique baby retail, period. Remember, she did not pursue Shark Tank. Every business featured last night was courted by ABC/the Shark Tank producers. If she's ever watched the show, she knew going in that her profit margin was going to make her too much of a risk, but why turn down the platform?
I do read this. And loved it! How accurate and insightful! 45 minutes in front of the sharks - 5 minutes aired. Bigger picture indeed. And Modern cloth diapering deserved it. Drama or not. It got there.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #145
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Diapers View Post
Fuzzi Bunz is on notice from my company and our lawyers,
she did not get permission from us to use our design AT ALL! We have been making and selling our design since 2006 several years before her and our patent covers adjustable elastic to make a diaper one size. If the elastic adjusts it violates my patent. Legally it make no difference if she was aware of me or not.

This pisses me off, I'm a mom of 7, she stole me design and nearly put me out of business and now she's whining on TV? All I can say is Karma!

Oh and march I sure do own the patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7914507.html

And I have a second one that will be issued in December
Dangerous lingo. Period. I will not fight this battle in public. Do it the right way. Legally.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #146
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
I feel like a mama bear! GRRRRRR! Hahahaah .
My business is how I support my family.

Funny though we were selected to be on Shark Tank 2 years ago, so they had already seen my diapers and both patents, so they knew that she didn't own the patent for the adjustable elastic design before she walked in LOL!
Products are slated to pitch if they do not violate other patents. They will not air the pitch if you do. I had to do due diligence up to the last minute. My patents cleared. You did not air. Why? Jolene Powell maybe? Your attorney is well aware of that. If you want to air this crap in public I will do it, but I do not like to. It's just unprofessional. Contact me in private or my patent attorney who is very well aware of your situation, your patent, and the prior art that renders it invalid. You were not the first modern cloth diaper to pitch the sharks. But I was the one with the IP to actually get on. Those who feel I am arrogant and butt hurt, that is fine. Walk in my shoes with your kids for one day. You will feel differently.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #147
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Fuzzi Buns owns the patent for the leading edge pocket design, so it's just on the opening. My patent was filed in 2007 on a provisional with invention priority to 2005, then an actually application in 2008. My patent covers one size diapers using adjustable elastic.
Adjustable, but not completely replaceable. Adjustable is nothing new, as were pockets. I improved. Made them stay dry. Made them "one size" without elastic that would not wear out. Patent office agrees. Someone had adjustable before you. You did not make your application public, that hurt you. Many mistakes. As did I. Let it go. Make your product better and "out-compete" as I have to do do or take legal action.

Many missed a lot on Shark Tank that was not aired. Why my margins are so low? Lifetime warranty on bad product from Turkey! $5 products from China etc etc. But I will out compete and out innovate. What you see on TV is not ALWAYS reality.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #148
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not going to into it, but they were put on notice, any design with adjustable elastic violates my patents, what they think or say is immaterial to the facts. My diaper was on the market 2 years before they even announced their OS diaper. Terreson used to be a wham herself and was very active on this forum and other forums in years back.
Still on this forum, still active, still a wahm believe it or not. Still believes in what it right. Period. Read my blog if you want to know what patent law says about what is valid and not. www.teresondupuy.com/blog I address these very concerns. I am not into the drama. I support the wahm business as I grew from that and still bring my kids to school and pick them up and am a single income household. If you believe in your patent, do what I am doing and fight for it. Everyone should.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #149
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
I'm not trying to fight so much as gain a more in-depth understanding of a few things: 1) the timeline and history of the intellectual property problems within the industry, 2) the consumer response when they do learn the truth about some of these intellectual property problems. And for no real reason other than I'm a geek who loves the industry and wants to know more about it for the sake of knowing more about it. I don't think cloth-curious consumers are worried about this thread. They're more worried about what the heck they're going to do with the poop.

I'm losing track of what I've posted in which Shark Tank thread, haha, but I've said a few times throughout these Shark Tank conversations floating around DS--this industry, both manufacturers and retailers, really seems to share a spirit of camaraderie and professional respect. I would really love to see the CEOs and "faces" of leading manufacturers getting together to raise consumer awareness of the potential for the integrity of the industry as a whole to be placed in jeopardy by the shady overseas manufacturers who HAVE stolen intellectual property from EVERY one of them, whether they were protected by international patents or not (and I'm aware that most aren't and this is a huge risk of outsourcing--but 'legal' never necessitates 'ethical'). Consumers might get behind their favorite manufacturers, especially highly respected and well liked ones like Jen Labit. Not that she seems to have time to put any more on her plate! Ha.
Laura - I can not agree with your post more! Unfortunately I think I would be stoned to death if ever showing up at a "cloth diaper manufacturing meeting" which is unfortunate. And I do say that with some humor. If people want the overseas manufacturing stopped the only person who can stop it is the patent holder which is me. That renders me financially responsible. I hope that the majority of people making pocket diapers (leading edge has nothing to do with it, read my blog) feel paying a royalty to help me defend this industry is worth it. I am not a selfish person. I respect this industry and the people making it happen. I just want what is right to happen for the industry and not see the demise to Chinese factories that will wind up profiting from it. Is it worth it? No.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #150
motherofeden
Registered Users

Quote:
Nope.
Well then please call them out too, and everyone else you feel is infringing. Stop singling out FuzziBunz because we are the bigger company. Equal rights.
Closed Thread