Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're in that boat here. Had first ppaf when she was 8 months, but didn't have another cycle until 14 months. I've been regular since then, and she's 18 months. We've been NTNP since December and TTC since June. Nothing yet. I think my luteal phase is short or I'm not ovulating. First month using opks, and no positive yet (cd 19! And my avg cycle is 26 days)

Advertisement

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely
No personal experience (just a degree in biomedical anthropology), but it is not uncommon for lactation-induced infertility to last the entire duration of nursing (2, 3, 4 years even). It's an important evolutionary trait, though frustrating in the modern day. If you ever feel down about it, take comfort in being the "fittest"
And thanks, this does make me feel better. There's a book on natural child spacing I'd like to read.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No pregnancy while bf'ing.

Me. AF has returned just before 6mths PP both times so far, despite nursing on demand, delaying solids, bedsharing, no bottles or pacis, etc. Both times, I've had 2 anovulatory cycles, then ovulated, but had ridiculously short LPs that slowly lengthen, but don't get long enough on their own.

We started ttc as soon as AF returned, and it took us 14mths, with a m/c right before conceiving DS2. We weren't in a hurry at first, but eventually I started adding B6 to help my LP, then vitex, and finally NPC, which helped me stay pregnant.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DD is 8.5 months and i have not had a period yet. We have been actively trying anyways We want another pretty bad, but I don't get my flow back until I am bone dry
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

I have gotten pregnant 3 times while nursing. I never got AF back but got pregnant. 2 of the prenancies went to full term but 1 of them was lost at 10 weeks.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did get pg while bfing but I was charting and doing OPKs and it was very clear that my LP was too short. It's very common that with the prolactin produced for breastfeeding your progesterone level will be low (also common as we get older) which means the proper length LP is not supported and you can't get pg. The LP needs to be at least 11 days, usually more, to support a pregnancy. Once I had charted a number of months where my LP was clearly too short I talked to my OB and started progesterone supplements in the 2WW. Over the next 3m my LP lengthened out and I got my bfp. I did continue the progesterone through the 1st tri (which was a PITA but once you're on it you don't want to quit) and all was well.

Interesting b/c I had to stop BFing before we wanted to this time (long story, ) and this is my first cycle off of BC and my LP was a perfect 14d. So I definitely think it was BFing that shortened it.

Do you chart? It might help you to figure out exactly what's going on. HTH.
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
MacMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

This thread is so helpful. Hoping my LP is long enough even with DS still nursing.

"But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me"
MacMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I must have a short LP. I suspected as much. First month using opks and my test just now was near positive (will test this afternoon and tonight). However, I'm on cd 20, which will make my LP only 7 days long. Unless ovulating late isn't normal for me (I usually have ewcm around cd 13), in which case, fx for a longer LP and a BFP in two weeks!

Sunny due in October!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mamas! overwhelmed by the response- I love it here already! its so great to hear from people who know what you're talking about. I have sooo much to learn from you all!!! I hadn't read anything about this topic and I bet I, too, have a short LP right now... I didn't start charting until last cycle because it was my second PP cycle and that's what I found-- used to charting 15 day LPs so I was thinking it was a fluke--- not so much, I see.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
No personal experience (just a degree in biomedical anthropology), but it is not uncommon for lactation-induced infertility to last the entire duration of nursing (2, 3, 4 years even). It's an important evolutionary trait, though frustrating in the modern day. If you ever feel down about it, take comfort in being the "fittest"

love it- words to remember... I have a feeling I'm going to need to refer to this post and thread often over the next year.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote