Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to pick wardrobe?

So I've gotten rid of everythingi n my closet that I don't or won't wear, anything looks old, worn, stained, missing button 'that I'll fix next time' whatever. I don't honestly need to pare down any more, I don't have an unrealistic amount of clothing and we have plenty of space. But I still feel the need to. How do I go about deciding what to get rid of? I want to have two nice pairs of jeans, and one khaki. I rarely wear shorts, so I'll make do with the one pair of khaki culottes I have. But shirts - I have prints, florals, solids, stripes, every color, long sleeve, short sleeve, tank, etc. Should I try to keep only solids so that things match better? Pick just a small color palette (I lean towards blues) and try to focus on that, with one nice matching jacket and matching pants/shoes, etc? I'm kind of at an impasse.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to pick wardrobe?

This whole blog, but especially;

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com...mon%20Wardrobe

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com...idiculous.html
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I need to work on clothing. The stuff that doesnt fit or was super worn was the easiest for me. But I still want to par down more.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think part of my problem paring down is that I still haven't nailed my style. I have a few graphic tees that I love to wear. In fall I wear them over long sleeve tees. But sometimes I wake up and want to look really put together instead of bohemian, so I go with a collared polo or something. I'm nursing right now, and still in the early stages where I like to wear a nursing tank instead of just a bra underneath regular shirts so I'm not flashing belly so often. That does limit what I wear over top. Maybe I should separate clothes by style instead of color? Woulthat help me see how many tanks/graphic tees vs pullover sweaters vs sweatshirts I have.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh and I did like that first link a lot. I've already gone through jewelry and got rid of LOTS of stuff, and kept just some that have meaning and look really spectacular. I still don't wear them often, but they don't look all junky now. I just need to spend the next 6 months really scrutinizing my wardrobe and jewlery and figuring out where I want to go. It might mean purchasing a few really nice pieces so that I can feel comfortable getting rid of lots of lower-value, less-liked pieces. It'll be a slow process.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I just need to spend the next 6 months really scrutinizing my wardrobe and jewlery and figuring out where I want to go. It might mean purchasing a few really nice pieces so that I can feel comfortable getting rid of lots of lower-value, less-liked pieces. It'll be a slow process.
This is where I'm at, but I don't have the funds to buy right now. Also, I work part time and feel like I need a work wardrobe, a going somewhere w/ my kid wardrobe and bummin' around the house wardrobe (I change clothes after we play outside depending on what we're doing and what the weather's like).
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I figure I'll end up with a fairly complete casual wardrobe, mostly tees, tanks, a few solid long-sleeves to wear underneath, two hoodies, a few sweaters, a few blouses, a few polos. I occasionally feel the need to look really nice, but I don't need lots of blouses and dressy clothes. I had a whole stack of t-shirts that I never wear, I mean i NEVER wear t-shirts, so I picked out all but 3 or 4, and plan to keep those as outside/grungy/sleepwear. I'll keep a few jeans and khakis, and maybe one sweatpants and one yoga pants (both of those double as sleepwear too). I've also been trying to be more conscious of wearing clothes until they are actually dirty.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I like to feel and look put together when I am not in house clothes. I just don't feel very comfortable in jeans so typically I wear skirts and dresses. I also have found that it's easier for me to get tank tops and layer because so many shirts hit me weird ( I must have short arms) though I do have some blouses. And don't get me started on 3/4 sleeves!

Right now I have a long black skirt, a short black skirt, a pair of blank dress pants, a long brown skirt, shirts that go nicely with black and brown equally, and three dresses. I am thinking of making one of those dresses a house dress though since I often feel overexposed in it. I am thinking of getting some leggings or tights, but I am on a spending freeze right now. Oh, and I need some new undies, lol.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was at a total loss for style. I took the free video course here: http://dressingyourtruth.com/
it really helped with that. She is FAR from minimalist, but now that I understand my style better I can adapt it to a more minimal application.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did the 333 project three years ago but had to abandon it part way because i got pregnant. It did really make a difference in how I looked at my wardrobe.

1. It made me look at the items I really did wear. Why did I like them? Why did I reach for them?
2. What stopped me from reaching for other items?

I narrowed down that for me fabric and feel played an important role. The items of fabric I liked the feel of made me to back again.

Rayon/synthetic don't work for me. Natural fibers worked. Some items with a bit of stretch was as much synthetic as I could stand.

It definitely paid off when I invested in a few key pieces. I wear these regularly.

I have to say once I stopped following trend is when I started getting compliments on the way I dress.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote