Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
lil Roos mama Bear
Registered Users
seller

Did you 2 different types of birth?

I had a epidural at the hospital for my son. However my experience at the hospital was the worst. My son is now 2 and we are talking about having another baby however I know I can't even think about going back to the hospital after the experience I had. So I am thinking about doing a natural birth at a birthing center. The idea of a water birth appeals to me but I'm only in the beginning phase of looking into a natural birth. I had Partial placenta previa with my son that finally moved during my 8th month so there was the concern of having to do a c-section if the placenta didn't move. So I never even considered a natural birth with my son. I'm having a hard time finding people who have had a hospital birth with doctors and then had a natural birth with midwives and doulas. My side of the family is all hospital/epidural. My husband's side is all home births so getting advice and hearing birth stories that are not one sided would be a nice thing. If you had both I was wondering which you preferred and why. What was the difference in your experiences? Were you able to handle the birth pains if you've already had a epidural?
If it isn't too personal your birth stories.
Thank You!

Advertisement

ISO: Board and fabric books, fitted diapers, and table cloth wraps/ring slings.
lil Roos mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had two hospital births but they were both csections. I labored for 24 hours with my first in pit without pain meds. I also went thru a drug free natural 7hour home birth with my 3rd. The pain from labor/delivery/recovery doesn't even begin to compare to the recovery pain from a c section.

My contractions were never bad enough to want to go to the hospital. I was in a little bit of denial that my baby was coming soon and waited until the last minute to do everything. My doulas arrived at 2:15, got in the tub at 3, midwifes arrived at 4 and baby was born at 4:47! The water was awesome. The only thing I didn't like was it was too hot and it smelled like chemicals(our water is just that way). I wish I filled it up sooner!
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you 2 different types of birth?

I have six children, and each birth has been extremely different. 1st birth = hospital birth with epidural. I never even considered anything different, really had no idea what I was doing. The birth wasn't terrible but wasn't wonderful either. 2nd birth was a waterbirth at home. Wonderful!! The experience of going through pregnancy and birth with a midwife whom I had gotten to know extremely well (since the appointments were lengthy and she was concerned with every aspect of me, emotionally, etc.) was fantastic! I love using the water in labor and found it to be very relieving. The natural high and emotions of giving birth naturally was fantastic!!
3rd baby was a homebirth again, difficult labor and delivery because baby was posterior, but I did it, and know that most likely the hospital would have given me a c-section. The support of midwife and her assistants was fantastic, and I can't imagine going through that experience without them.
4th baby--back to a hospital birth with this one since I had marginal placenta previa and had a big bleeding episode in the third trimester that put me on hospital bedrest for a few weeks. Since I now knew what I was doing and what birth could be like, this was actually a wonderful experience (compared to my first hospital birth). My much-loved midwife was still there as a doula even though I had to have an OB, and her support was crucial. So was a detailed birth plan and an OB who was pretty flexible about my wishes. It was a great birth, but I really missed being able to be with my family and letting them get to know baby right away. It felt really weird being separated from them, and I didn't care for the feeling of being a patient. (I won't complain about the good food, though!)
5th baby--Back to homebirth. Marvelous, easy (relatively speaking) waterbirth!
6th baby--Another homebirth, though scariest experience of my life because of shoulder dystocia. It was truly a medical emergency and I realize now just how close we were to losing ds or at least having a baby with birth injuries. However, this is where I learned just how skilled my midwife is. She knew exactly what to do to get baby out, was able to resuscitate him, etc. I would have another homebirth with her in a heartbeat in the rare event that we'd have another baby.

I learned that it is possible to have a really nice natural birth in the hospital if you're forthright about your wishes and you have the right dr. A doula is key too!! However, to me, nothing compares with being in the comfort of my own home, surrounded by family, and feeling the love and support of a qualified midwife. Also, for my pregnancies where I've used a dr., I felt like the appointments were an "in and out" sort of thing. My homebirth midwife became a dear friend, involved my children in the appointments, and obviously truly cared about me as a person.

As far as the pain, for me, the water is a huge pain reliever. Also, when I've had specific types of pain such as back labor or hip pain, my midwives knew what to do to relieve the pain such as squeezing my hips with each contraction, applying pressure in certain places, etc. To me, that was all super helpful! Also, I think my pain is less just being in my own home and being free to move about where I want and feeling less inhibited. I was thankful that even when I had my second hospital birth, the hospital had tubs in each room that could be used for labor (but not birth). It helped so much!

I highly suggest watching the documentaries "The Business of Being Born" and "More Business of Being Born" if you can get your hands on them! They're wonderful!

Blessings on your decision! You're at such an exciting time in life and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your family!
Kristin

Last edited by dolphingirl; 09-24-2012 at 11:21 PM.
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
lil Roos mama Bear
Registered Users
seller

Thank You for sharing your stories. We haven't gotten Pregnant yet. Our first hospital visit almost ended with me in an emergency C-section because they didn't realize my son was coming down facing my hip. The on call dr.s were so rude and cold. And the nurses wouldn't tell me what they were doing to my IV. It was a huge mess that ended with me having to stay for an extra 4 days due to their mistake. I haven't been able to think about getting pregnant again until recently a friend pointed out that the complications were not due to my inability to give birth or a huge complication with my son. They were caused by the dr that was on call and the nurses. She pointed out that there are other ways I can give birth and I could find one I was comfortable with. Now I am thinking about doing our second with a midwife and doula at the local water birthing center. Hearing your stories make me feel better about it. I like hearing the differences and how much more enjoyable they are. Please continue to share your stories.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I had my first in a hospital, and the next 2 at home - one unassisted, one w/a MW.

My first that I had in the hospital was without pain meds. But I suffered quite a bit of abuse from the nurses and the "midwife" (she was really just an OB trying to cater to natural birthing people - she was a sorry excuse for a midwife). I did not enjoy the way I was treated. I was handled roughly, spoken to condescendingly, I was discouraged from asking questions about anything, or suggesting anything. I felt very out of control. I was surprised when I delivered my baby naturally, b/c I was pretty sure that with the way things had been progressing I'd wind up w/a c/s or an epidural (actually, I'd asked for one but never got it). Baby was 7lbs 4oz, labor was 11.5 hrs long, with the "hard part" being about 4 hrs or so.

My second birth was 1.5 hrs start to finish. Woke up to a "popping" feeling, and had a baby. LOL It was fast and hard and intense, but it was amazing. I remember being surprised that even though the birth pangs were intense, they weren't as painful as I remember them being in the hospital. I attribute that to the fact that in the hospital I was not comfortable, and I think it made my pain worse, and my labor longer. That baby was 9lbs3oz. My DH delivered him b/c the midwife didn't make it to our house in time. I had some moderate bleeding and was almost transferred, but my midwife was wonderful and gave me herbs and used massage to get the bleeding under control just before we had to call for an ambulance. It was not scary at all to me at the time. Looking back, it is a little scary. But considering the super fast labor and the big baby, it's not unusual that I bled more than normal.

My next baby was also born at home. That was a long, boring labor. I labored all day, being just uncomfortable, I walked around and paced nervously. Then everyone finally convinced me to lay down and rest for a while. I woke up about 1 hr later and told DH "I think I'm going to have the baby now" We filled the tub, called the midwife back over, and had the baby in about an hour. I actually remember saying, during the 2-mins-apart contractions, "I don't feel like these contractions are painful enough... why are they so far apart?" My midwife smiled and said, "You're doing great. Your body is working hard, and you are working right along with it. It might seem to be going slow, but your contractions are still 2 mins apart. You're going to have a baby soon!" And I felt this overwhelming sense of pride and happiness and calm - I was having my baby on my terms, and it was okay. I had baby in the tub soon after. 7lbs 6oz.

What I remember vividly about my hospital birth is feeling out of control. I remember being poked and prodded and checked and re-checked. I remember being talked down to, being made to feel stupid, not allowed to ask questions. But most of all I remember the pain. The pain I had in my hospital birth was at least 10 times worse than any pain I had in my 2 homebirths. Being comfortable in my skin and comfortable with my caregivers, and comfortable with my surroundings made a BIG difference in my pain level for me.

What I DO miss about the hospital - the ONLY thing I miss about the hospital - is being taken care of after the birth. They bring you meals. You lay in bed and watch TV. You nurse the baby. You get up to go to the bathroom. You don't have to cook or clean up after anyone. You don't have to worry about laundry or dishes. THAT is the part I miss. LOL. I do sometimes think "man, I wish I could have that!" But you can't have your cake and eat it too... right? Unless I could hire an after-birth helper or something.... hmmm....

Best wishes on your choice mama.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
lil Roos mama Bear
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I had my first in a hospital, and the next 2 at home - one unassisted, one w/a MW.

My first that I had in the hospital was without pain meds. But I suffered quite a bit of abuse from the nurses and the "midwife" (she was really just an OB trying to cater to natural birthing people - she was a sorry excuse for a midwife). I did not enjoy the way I was treated. I was handled roughly, spoken to condescendingly, I was discouraged from asking questions about anything, or suggesting anything. I felt very out of control. I was surprised when I delivered my baby naturally, b/c I was pretty sure that with the way things had been progressing I'd wind up w/a c/s or an epidural (actually, I'd asked for one but never got it). Baby was 7lbs 4oz, labor was 11.5 hrs long, with the "hard part" being about 4 hrs or so.
This sounds a lot like my experience. After the abuse, lack of interest, and mistakes I never wanted to give birth again. I thought if this is the way it's going to be I'm done. One was enough. I had an epidural but it didn't seem to help with anything but the contraction pain. I still had a terrible experience and felt a lot of emotional pain that has last much longer then the contraction and birth pain. I feel like the support and care of a midwife would out weigh the pain free birth at the hospital. My family is going to think I'm crazy for even considering this but the more I think about it the more the care and support of a natural birth is what I feel I would need to have another baby. Hearing the same opinion from others that have done both is helping me. Thank You!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have high-risk pregnancies, so when my water broke with my first but labor didn't progress, they wanted to induce because they wanted to make sure the baby wasn't under stress (ironic, because inducement causes more stress!). I didn't have medication or anything and it was very painful due to very little time between double contractions.

The second time around I went into labor naturally 3 wks early, two days before my scheduled induction! No meds or anything, and it was extremely easy - except for the pushing part! My hospital doesn't do water births, that I know of, and I don't think I would qualify for homebirth because of my condition, but I love my midwives.

I did NOT feel out-of-control or mistreated at the hospital during labor and delivery, but perhaps that's because I enjoy my team of midwives. The part I didn't like was being made to take care of my baby a certain way - I couldn't hold him in bed and fall asleep (safety concerns), I had to chart when I fed or changed him, I felt like I was under the inquisition for not being a perfect nurser (both babies didn't latch on well at first), etc. I did enjoy being served meals, hehe, but I wanted to mother on my own terms.

Visit my Etsy shop, Gwendylicious!
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I think you will find many people like yourself, who have been disillusioned about hospital birth and turn to natural (and vice versa I'm sure).

I think I was pretty well educated with my first.....just by the wrong sources. I was of the mind set of, "well why should I be uncomfortable if the pain meds are available". I was induced a few days early, had an epidural and luckily did just fine and so did baby. We did however have a horrible time nursing due to a lack of knowledge on my part and terrible support on the hospitals.

For my second baby I had an epidural planned. Got to the hospital with plenty of time to go but they didn't get their acts together, kept ignoring me and pushing me to the side and I didn't get my epidural. I pushed dd out just fine without the doctor being there (he showed up after dd's shoulders had been delivered so she basically fell out after that lol). The actual delivery went great and was empowering. But then the doctor lied to me to get me to okay what I later found out to be a manual removal of the placenta WITHOUT pain meds. I kicked and screamed the whole time and was held down. It was very much like being raped. I ended up with PTSD, had a terrible time bonding and shook at the thought of having another child.

It made me mad that our idea of a family (3-4 kids) was ruined because of some doctor/hospital that assaulted me. I came to the realization that I had to research other birthing options. My area has only 1 birthing hospital so that left homebirth as my only other option. I found a MW for #3 and went that route. My third delivery was hard. I was in and out of labor for 1 week, spent an hour pushing (very different from the 15 min's or so with #1 and the two pushes with #2) DD was just not descending, which the MW attributed to a short cord that was wrapped several times around dd. I'm positive this would have resulted in a c-section at the hospital. I did have a harder time healing from this delivery due to some sort of a tail bone injury.

Of my births, (not including my assault with #2) my homebirth was by far my favorite, despite it being my hardest delivery. I felt safe and secure, something I don't think I could ever feel in the hospital again. I definitely think this helped with my L&D. My labor with #3 was very surreal. I was using hypnosis to relax but even then my contractions were not nearly as painful as my non-induced hospital birth. I think part of it was because I was more relaxed. Even during transition and pushing I was still talking and moving about just fine, even when I wasn't in deep hypnosis.

I was also much more in tune with 3rd baby, something that carried over even until now at 6 months post partum. I attribute this to the MW experience. When things aren't so medical, with numbers, testing, 3 min doctors appointments, etc...you get more in tune with baby. I also think when more decisions are given to Mom, like they are with a homebirth, it helps you get into that mommy mentality. My head was just in a better place with my third child.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
#1 was a hospital birth with pitocin and an epidural with an OB. #2 was a natural delivery in a hospital with midwives. for #3 we have a natural delivery with midwives at a birth center planned.

My natural delivery in the hospital was awesome, but I hated that I had to stay there for 24 hrs. She was born at 9a and I was ready to leave that afternoon. I'm looking forward to going home the same day with this one.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I had a natural hospital birth with an ob and a doula for #1, for #2 I had a homebirth with a midwife - it was WAY better!