Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: 12 hour release

I only had one in the hosp and I demanded to be let out at, like 18 hrs. I had a healthy, uncomplicated delivery, with no tearing or stitches, normal bleeding, no issues at all. Baby was *slightly* jaundiced. Not enough for her to need anything or for them to do anything other than suggest that we keep her by a window.

I hated the hospital food. It was awful. They didn't have cable. They had one channel and it was a movie of all these movies from the early 80s with women talking about how much they loved breastfeeding. It played like 3 times throughout the day. The rest of the time the screen was black. I love BFing and it was just weird.

Also the nurses kept MASHING my poor uterus. And they all acted like I was the worst mom ever b/c I didn't let them run some tests on my baby that they couldn't explain to me (they wanted to do a full blood panel on my newborn, but couldn't say why?) I also had an awful birth experience.

And it seemed 95% of the nurses were rude and really bothered by my presence and the fact that they had to come in and check me. I didn't appreciate them coming and pulling down my mesh panties to "check my bleeding", sometimes they would move my girly bits around looking for tears and such, even though I didn't tear.... gosh dang... I just had NO privacy. They kept asking if I'd pooped yet. They wanted to know how often I nursed the baby and I HAD to write it down (when I nursed her and for how long - which was REALLY annoying b/c I was trying to figure out her latch so we were trying like every 20 mins round the clock - and they would NOT send the LC to me) or they would have, like, a melt down and give me this lecture.... They didn't want me eating anything other than the hospital food and would check how much I'd eaten. If there was ANYTHING still on the plate, they complained I wasn't eating enough, but wouldn't bring me anything other than what they offered, and I could only have one helping of each thing... They complained I needed to be up and moving around more, but then if I got up to walk they would ask if I had been given the "all clear" to be up and walking... apparently I had to have some special signature to be allowed to walk the hallway - which was literally about 20 ft. I could walk one direction and back to my room. That was all I was allowed. They required me to shower in their nasty shower. A REQUIREMENT for me to be released. Oh, and they had to come check on you while you were in there and physically SEE you showering so they knew you weren't just running the water and pretending. I'm not kidding. I felt like I was in prison.

I flipping hated it. Never again. I don't even know if I just had a crappy hospital with horrible staff or if all hospitals are like this. It felt like I had no control over ANYTHING.

We left somewhere around 18-24 hrs - and had to FIGHT for that and have extra consults and sign documents and crap. I was so happy get home and be back in my own space.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm another who likes to stay. I have 5 kids who are 6 and under (very soon to be 7 and under) at home. Last time I had 3 who were 4 and under. Both times including 2 year old twins. I like the alone time with baby.

BUT, we have a $200 per day co-pay. Last time, I didn't care about that because one of my babies was in the NICU and I had some complications too. But, assuming all is well, I'm just not sure I can justify the cost if they will let me go early. But my co-pay will be $200 whether it's 12 or 24hrs. So, I'll probably stay the full 24, but I'm just not sure about 48. I'd like to, but I don't want to pay for it. I think the hospital I'm delivering in is very likely to let me leave after 24, but I'm not even sure.

But, I know a lot of moms who would like to go home sooner. So, if you want to take advantage of going home early, even after 12 hrs, go for it! Do what works for you.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

We had to stay for the full 48 with DD and I wish we could have gone home earlier (they wouldn't discharge me until 48 due to blood pressure issues). This time we're hoping for the 24 hour release assuming all goes well. I had a hard time sleeping in the hospital too, and DH only had so much time off work and we didn't want to spend it all in the hospital. But I also really liked having the nurses take care of me for a little bit and I bled a TON in the first day or so with DD so I think I would actually prefer 24hrs to 12hrs just to get myself under control a little before I go home.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
I went home 48 hours after a c section. I have with 2 of my 3... I do NOT like being in the hospital so I'm up and walking and trying to poop like 10 minutes after I come out of the anesthesia, Haha. I had to share a room with my youngest and the roomate had her 75 closest friends in her side of the room and half of my side... Yeah, not a quiet bonding experience!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want to go home as soon as I can, so if I could get out in 12 hours, I totally would! I do not like being in the hospital. I'd rather be in the comfort of my own home, shower, bed and surrounded by people who love me.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

mine were all 48hrs...I actually don't mind it at all
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
With my mds and ydd I left about at 24 hrs. It was hard to get the paperwork all done so I could do so. With ydd I decided to leave at 48. We barely made it out due to bleeding issues. I couldn't imagine staying for only 12 hrs. The paperwork and getting the drs to release both that early would be a hassle.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
We had to stay for the full 48 with DD and I wish we could have gone home earlier (they wouldn't discharge me until 48 due to blood pressure issues). This time we're hoping for the 24 hour release assuming all goes well. I had a hard time sleeping in the hospital too, and DH only had so much time off work and we didn't want to spend it all in the hospital. But I also really liked having the nurses take care of me for a little bit and I bled a TON in the first day or so with DD so I think I would actually prefer 24hrs to 12hrs just to get myself under control a little before I go home.
This is a very good point. It's been a while since I had a single baby. So, we'll see what the difference is from 2 sets of twins to a single baby with bleeding. But, I bled a lot after delivery. I pass large clots sometimes too. I usually wear their stuff. Last time, I had several times I bled through everything and had to have my sheets changed. Once, I got up out of bed and blood just poured out all over the floor. and No one was concerned about the amount of bleeding, but, I can't imagine that happening at home all over my own bed and floor. Gross! I tend to prefer to wear their gowns and use their stuff because I don't want to stain or ruin anything of mine. So, yeah, that's another reason I wouldn't want to leave so fast.

But, again, to each her own. Maybe not everyone bleeds like that. Maybe I won't this time since it's only one baby. Hopefully, I won't.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have often had a 12 hour release, some were more like at 8 hours. However we didn't have insurance and I wasn't about to pay $2,000 for another day unless we NEEDED it. They charge based on the date, so if I have a baby at 10AM and go home at supper time I don't get charged, but if I stayed 24 hours until the next morning I would.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
This is a very good point. It's been a while since I had a single baby. So, we'll see what the difference is from 2 sets of twins to a single baby with bleeding. But, I bled a lot after delivery. I pass large clots sometimes too. I usually wear their stuff. Last time, I had several times I bled through everything and had to have my sheets changed. Once, I got up out of bed and blood just poured out all over the floor. and No one was concerned about the amount of bleeding, but, I can't imagine that happening at home all over my own bed and floor. Gross! I tend to prefer to wear their gowns and use their stuff because I don't want to stain or ruin anything of mine. So, yeah, that's another reason I wouldn't want to leave so fast.

But, again, to each her own. Maybe not everyone bleeds like that. Maybe I won't this time since it's only one baby. Hopefully, I won't.
This is exactly what it was like for me! I felt like I changed gowns and the pad on the bed like 6x a day. The first night I got up in the middle of the night to pee and left a huge blood trail from the bed to the bathroom - DH was horrified and said it was like something out of a horror movie, but the nurses thought it was no big deal. Anyway, I definitely don't want that happening at home, so I'll stay until that part is over