Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unhappy Allergies issue, help.

I've been combo feeding my daughter for some time. She has silent reflux and for awhile was flat out refusing both me and her formula (nutramigen) or would only eat just enough to curb her hunger. She had eczema on her face and was not a very happy baby.

Recently I switched to Alimentum Ready to Feed, which is supposed to be the hypoallergenic formula of hypoallergenic formulas since it has only 2% broken down milk protein and no corn. Her rash has cleared up and her congestion is pretty much gone. Even her reflux is doing much better and she eats again and sleeps much better.

However, she is still reacting to me and for the most part won't nurse. I have no idea what is causing the issue since I am, and have been for quite some time Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Peanut, and Egg white free. I do eat some other nuts and occasionally some corn, but not a lot. I also cut out coffee and seriously cut down on my dairy free dark chocolate.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I'm really hesitant to do a really big elimination type diet since I already have such a strict diet. Could it be the nuts? I eat a handful now and again and they are usually cashews and almonds in a mix I get from Trader Joe's.

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
oma to 9
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Allergies issue, help.

Hi. I'm not totally sure, but if you look up nut allergies, cashews will often cause a more severe reaction than peanuts. You might want to try cutting them out and see what happens. Just my opinion....please do not mistake my advice for a medical conclusion.

Trisha
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly if I were you, for the health of both of you I would probably try making the WAPF homemade formula instead of breastfeeding. Of course I'm super "into" breastfeeding, but I don't think that it's healthy to have a super restrictive diet for you or your milk, and if she's still reacting to something that you're eating, then you're risking your health for very little benefit on her part.

I'm sure to some people that sounds crazy, but I think that there are special circumstances under which it's a better idea to go with a high-quality formula. But I don't like commercial formulas at all. If I were you I also would probably try the full GAPS diet to see if that helped her reaction to the breastmilk if I was going to keep breastfeeding.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Honestly if I were you, for the health of both of you I would probably try making the WAPF homemade formula instead of breastfeeding. Of course I'm super "into" breastfeeding, but I don't think that it's healthy to have a super restrictive diet for you or your milk, and if she's still reacting to something that you're eating, then you're risking your health for very little benefit on her part.

I'm sure to some people that sounds crazy, but I think that there are special circumstances under which it's a better idea to go with a high-quality formula. But I don't like commercial formulas at all. If I were you I also would probably try the full GAPS diet to see if that helped her reaction to the breastmilk if I was going to keep breastfeeding.
Thanks, that does help. She is actually doing really well on Alimentum and I hate to mess with a good thing. She's one happy baby now! My diet is that strict due to my own allergies. I can cheat a bit on peanuts and eggwhites. But I'm incredibly allergic to soy and dairy and a celiac.

Thanks again, I think part of me just needed to hear that.