Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #31
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: What no one tells you about breastfeeding

Even if u think u have a good latch but u hurt probably means latch needs work. Heat & cool pads helped me. Less stress helps ur supply. As a friend found out thrush can happen after a while not just at the start. Herbs & supply meds not always help you just like advice on cding wash routines. Lll group or other groups like through wic help. Most obstacles u have someone else probably had. Bfing is a wonderful thing & go as long as u feel some don't support tandem or longer nursing like my mom was like at yr stop.....

Advertisement

abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Breastfed baby's poo is much nicer .

Oh and the let-down feeling, for me, is like a terribly intense tingle feeling in the pit of my boobs. I'm 6 weeks PP and my nipples are fine, no more uterine contractions, but when it's been a few hours and I'm starting to fill up, that let-down feeling still curls my toes.

It typically delays AF return for most women. Normal is at least 6-8 months, some delay for much longer than that. It's because of the hormones. Downside is hormones usually interfere with libido and sex too, making it difficult or painful for some.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.

Last edited by elizabeth.scalf; 10-24-2012 at 01:06 PM.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #33
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I will reiterate something that has been said...EVERYONE is different. The BFing experience is different for all moms, and often even from one child to the next.

I BF my 4 yr old for 5 months, my 2 yr old for a year and am BFing the newest addition. I completely formula fed my oldest. So this is my personal "for real" advice.

*it's ok if you don't like it. It's ok to cry when if it hurts, either in the nipples or in the uterus (and as a previous poster mentioned, the contractions this time around, for me, hurt as bad as labor the first few days.) It's ok to be upset at 2am and baby is fussing and you are exhausted and your DH is sleeping and you can't wake him up because there is really nothing he can do anyway.

*if there's a problem...the MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is...FEED THE BABY. You can try as hard as you want to make it work, but if you know in your heart that baby is hungry and you can't figure out how to get him the breastmilk...feeding the baby is more important than what kind of food he gets.

*if there's a problem...get help sooner rather than later. And be prepared with that help ahead of time. I personally have never been to a LLL meeting and will never go. My local hospital, a quarter mile from my house offers free BF group, staffed by hospital IBCLCs. AND, they don't require that you have given birth at that hospital to attend. So look around and see what support options you have. That way, if there's a problem, you know where to go.

*when it's easy...it's just easy. There's a learning curve for both mom and baby especially if mom's never BF'd before. But, if you don't seem to be having any problems, and baby is having plenty of wet and dirty dipes and is gaining weight...then there probably isnt' a problem, so don't anticipate one. BFing boards and advice pages are chock full of questions and problems....but not everyone has them. Many people never have problems...and as a result you generally don't see them on BFing boards.

*sometimes, often in the beginning, you can feel let down...and it can feel weird. In my case, I get a tingly tightening sensation in my breasts. Like if your arm falls asleep and squeeze it. Sometimes, I even get nauseous at that initial letdown. The other day, I nursed him and got really nauseous and hot and dizzy and hungry. I don't know why that particular time was so off. Other women have no feelings at all at let down, for even others the hormonal response can trigger some pretty strong emotions and aversions.

*breastmilk is not some magic elixer. There are absolutely benefits. But, it will NOT prevent ANY illness or allergy. It will not make your child a genius. It cannot glue on your kid's nose if it falls off, nor can it make your 3 month old start reciting Shakespeare. The reality is...it's a FOOD. That's all it is, food. It's food that is really really good for baby...but it's still just food.

*The bond others talk about...I haven't ever felt it. Of course I have never been one to "fall in love" with my baby the moment he's out or anything like that. And, I don't feel this overwhelming bond when I nurse the baby. I don't develope a "breastfeeding relationship" with the babies or any of that. I just feed the baby...just like I did when I bottle fed my teenager.

*the biggest advantage for me is that it's free, at least compared to buying formula every week. It can still get expensive when you look at the cost of the pump, nursing pads, a cover if you want it, clothes that allow easy and discreet access if you want them, nursing bras, etc etc. For me, this time around I had to buy new bras because my old ones had had it, and replace all the parts to my pump (tubes, horns, valves, etc) because the whole set up is 4 yrs old. The pump itself still works great though.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
It typically delays AF return for most women.
Oh yeah, one thing no one ever told me until it caused a problem for us...

If BFing DOESN'T delay AF, like it didn't for me with DD2, the hormones of AF can change your milk a bit and cause baby to nurse less (or more) or fuss more (or less) and just generally make baby react a bit different.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pumps are now being covered by insurance
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Pumps are now being covered by insurance
I just found out our insurance covers them & it made my day!!!
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
rvaskies
Registered Users

It took me 3 grueling weeks before breastfeeding became easy and painless. I used nipple shields and large pump flanges until my milk evened out and my baby learned a good latch. I wanted to give up. I wanted to bottle feed because it would give me longer between feedings and my husband could do it - so it wouldn't all be on me. But I'm glad I didn't give up and stuck with it. I now really enjoy our quiet feedings together and get disappointed when I have to miss them for work.
rvaskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just wanted to reiterate what another poster said: decide beforehand that you will try for 3 or 4 weeks before you consider giving up. It really can take a while so that you both know what you're doing and nursing isn't a huge ordeal.

I also loved having an electric breastpump. I have the medela swing and really love that little pump.

And, yes, seeing a lactation consultant is worth your time and money. See them early on!

Finally, nursing is awesome. Babies and moms gain many health benefits. (like lower chances of breast cancer for moms). Also, it forces you to sit and rest and bond with your baby.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #39
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friend kept wanting to quit. Daily. I kept telling her to give it another week. Just 7 more days. Each time she made it that next week, sometimes she's need convincing to go one more week. Lol. And now, her baby is 10 weeks old and they are pros and she thanks me all the time for encouraging (never belittling or pressuring) to go just 7 more days. It really does take support and sometimes it agonizing those first 6 weeks