Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
Updated some stats: What are the safety ratings for the Cosco High back booster?

We are probably going to be buying a cheaper carseat as a spare and upcoming vacation. We needed the narrowest car seats that could fit 3 into a smaller SUV. I have 2 Nautilus and 1 TrueFit Premier. Another mama here recommended the Cosco Scenera and the 2 Nautilus as possibly fitting together in a back seat.

What are the safety ratings for this Cosco High back Booster Seat? These are also 1/2 inch narrower than the Scenera. It looks like it might be easier to install since it doesn't have a high base.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Canteen/16932755?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyV iewedItems

***edited to add that I just weighed and measured my 6 yr old and he's 49" tall and weighs almost 45lbs. My 5yr old is 44" tall and weighs almost 43lbs. Now not too sure what I can get that will keep them safe, not break the bank and is narrow enough to hopefully fit 3 in a row.

Advertisement

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 10-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are the safety ratings for the Cosco High back booster?

Every carseat is just as safe as the next as far as we know. but the cosco hbb will not last long beause it has low top slots. So is your 6 and 5 yo's in nautis? What about getting a booster for the 6yo and passing a nauti down rather than getting another harnessed seat (assuming the 6yo can sit correctly in a booster)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, my 5 and 6 yr olds are in the Nautis. My 6 yr old is tall and skinny but not 40lbs just yet. My youngest is small for his age and weighs 31-32 lbs. I prefer my 6 yr old to be harnessed as long as possible.

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 10-11-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

If they're above the second slots on the Nautilus then they will have outgrown the Cosco seats by height. That seat is pretty much useless because it has a 34" minimum but it's outgrown maybe a year after the child reaches 34". If you are in need of narrow combination seats, you might want to look at the Evenflo Maestro or the Evenflo SecureKid 300/400.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

My 6 year old is harnessed too, but for a vacation where I'm bringing car seats on an airplane, I'd be totally fine with a booster, as long as the time in the car at your destination is unlikely to involve sleeping. (Since the 6 yo is not yet 40 pounds, I'd go with one with a minimum weight rating of 30#.)

Whatever you do, definitely skip the Cosco highback booster!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I agree. The Cosco HBB is safe, but nearly useless. For light-weights, the Maestro is definitely the way to go. The Nauti doesn't like to play nice with others, though, so, depending on what SUV you are talking about, it still may not work.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Updated some stats: What are the safety ratings for the Cosco High back booster?

I updated the first post with the stats for my 6 and 5 yr olds. I just went to Walmart to check out the Scenera and this booster and my 5 yr old's shoulders were right at the top slots for the Cosco High Back Booster but his head was very close to the top. My 6yr old's head was a little over the top of the back. They both were about 17-17.5 inches wide which is 2 inches less wide than my Nautilus.