Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you decline family fundraisers?

I say no because I don't support using children's cuteness to sell a product...even for charity or a school.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused

Last edited by waterisntsomething; 09-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
I say no because I don't support using children's cuteness to sell a product...even for charity or a school.
Great point!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just say no. We also don't try to sell anything either. We will sometimes ask Grandma if she is interested in anything, but we don't expect her to buy anything. And if its something I know she has no interest in or is no good for her we don't even ask. Ours this month was an entertainment coupon book. Most of the locations for the coupons are local- an hour a way from Grandma. So we didn't even ask her. But I feel like I have to buy it thought- blah. $20 and we will get the money out of it, but most of it is restaurant coupons and we're trying to stop eating out so much. But the send a book home with the child and say you have to return it or pay for it. I feel bad returning it. I really wish the school would just ask for donations rather than selling stuff. We did already use $18 worth of haircut coupons out of it, but I just wish we didn't feel like we HAD to buy it.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just say sorry but I can't.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

When we hit up family for fundraisers they typically just don't respond to the email. I only send emails about fundraisers and I will only send 1 email. I figure if they want to order they will. They typically don't respond and it doesn't bother me at all.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank goodness we don't have a bunch of family asking us! They all know we don't buy that stuff plus we have a son in school that brings home plenty of fundraisers. We do participate in some of them...the ones we feel are a good cause. Right now we are collecting the can tops to send to his school so they can be donated for veterans to get dialysis. But we don't participate in most of them.
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
I agree. Especially considering, with all the money they on taxes to fund the schools, they should have more than everything they need. They budget poorly and wastefully, and then send this stuff home with the kids offering them prizes for sales. What a load.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl View Post
Thank goodness we don't have a bunch of family asking us! They all know we don't buy that stuff plus we have a son in school that brings home plenty of fundraisers. We do participate in some of them...the ones we feel are a good cause. Right now we are collecting the can tops to send to his school so they can be donated for veterans to get dialysis. But we don't participate in most of them.
Those kind most people don't mind. I would ask for people to save stuff like that. I have before- when I was a preschool teacher and we needed used dryer sheets for crafts- not exactly a charity, but most people don't mind saving stuff they would be throwing away anyway. Its all the stuff they want you to buy- candy, wrapping paper, books- that annoy me, even as a parent who is expected to sell them. Thats the main reason we don't participate in them.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter just did one for her school, and as a parent it is annoying, but it can't hurt to ask, and I don't think twice when someone declines. Not a big deal to me at all. Just say, " aw I wish I could but we just don't have the funds right now" no biggie, schools have to get funds somehow.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just finished my sons, I take it to work with me an leave it in the break room. If people want to order they do, whether they see something they want or they see its my kid and want to support them.