Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nurse however you feel most comfortable. The only way to make BF ing more socially acceptable is to expose people to it. Pun intended haha!

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Annoyed at church member regarding her statement to me on BFing....Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Nurse however you feel most comfortable. The only way to make BF ing more socially acceptable is to expose people to it. Pun intended haha!
Haha!

One of the ladies on my Facebook September group said that she was nursing in the Verizon store and a guy said something like "Wow, if you're going to feed your baby like a cave woman you should have stayed home."

So she flashed him (on purpose) while de-latching her baby. LOL

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I don't breastfeed in the main hall even though I would like to. But, we have a designated nursing area in the kingdom hall that has sound so I can hear the program.

Have you nursed in a ring sling? I would maybe stand in the back with her in a ring sling. Most people will assume that she's sleeping. I used to do that with my first, before we got a nicer nursing area.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Well I don't breastfeed in the main hall even though I would like to. But, we have a designated nursing area in the kingdom hall that has sound so I can hear the program.

Have you nursed in a ring sling? I would maybe stand in the back with her in a ring sling. Most people will assume that she's sleeping. I used to do that with my first, before we got a nicer nursing area.
I have actually nursed in a ring sling. I probably would have used it, but it was in the diaper bag, which was in the nursery with my toddler. I'll have to remember to keep it with me.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My plan of action would depend on the size of the church and how directly involved my husband was with ministry. My DH has always been a worship pastor, so me "rocking the boat" to make a point (even a valid one) would jeopardize our family's source of income. Still, I knew public nursing was a potential hot button issue so I made a point to sit in the back row. I didn't use a nursing cover bc it actually cause more issues and drew more attention. I just used our Moby and had nursing tank tops for easy access.

For this particular sort of person, I would go directly to the pastor (maybe even ask DH to do it) and ask if there is an official church policy regarding nursing in the sanctuary. If there is then ask that there be an official stance made (yeah or nay) so that you don't have to put up with harassment.

I think if this lady had come up and said, "look, my husband has a raging ****ography addiction and can't focus on the service anyway because there are boobs in the room, let alone listen to the sound of a nursing baby because it sounds like ****, is there any way you'd mind nursing in another room because my freak of a husband has no other options either." that's one thing. But to pin it back on you as a modesty issue is dumb.

If they want to ban infant feeding from the sanctuary (breast and bottle) then they can create an infant feeding room and equip it with audio for the service. Our church didn't ban nursing, but they did offer a feeding room with audio. Some women used it. Some went to the nursery. Some went to the bathroom lounge, some nursed with and without covers in service.

Last edited by BeccaSueCongdon; 09-30-2012 at 04:28 PM.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I wouldn't bring it up with the pastor. You're not doing anything wrong, so why bother to bring him into it, IMO. Of she approaches you again tell her that you do not want to miss the sermon, that your baby needs to eat, so the best option is for anyone who is bothered by your baby nursing to just exercise their self control and not look at you.

To me she sounds like the type to have a problem with something no matter what the circumstances. If that's the case hopefully the pastor realizes that and won't let it become a big issue if she brings it up w him.

I wouldn't buy a cover, unless you have the $ to spend and you want to

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I nursed in church this morning (with a nursing cover). Then I nursed in a restaurant (without a cover). Sometimes I feel like the cover is worse, almost like, "No one look under this blanket! Nothing to see here!" but I wear it at church so I don't accidentally flash someone in the sanctuary.

For now, I would ignore her comments. If it comes up again, I'd thank her for her opinion but let her know that the bathroom is an unsanitary place to eat, and Jesus was breastfed. You were not being immodest, and no one was forced to look at your breasts. They wouldn't make milk if God didn't want us to nurse our babies.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I wouldn't bring it up with the pastor. You're not doing anything wrong, so why bother to bring him into it, IMO. Of she approaches you again tell her that you do not want to miss the sermon, that your baby needs to eat, so the best option is for anyone who is bothered by your baby nursing to just exercise their self control and not look at you.

To me she sounds like the type to have a problem with something no matter what the circumstances. If that's the case hopefully the pastor realizes that and won't let it become a big issue if she brings it up w him.

I wouldn't buy a cover, unless you have the $ to spend and you want to

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I can use a coupon code at Udder Covers. I'd only need to pay the (ridiculously over priced) shipping, but the cover itself would be "free." So it would end up just costing me about $12.00.

And yeah, I'm not taking it to the pastor. I've decided that she just has to deal with it, and if she says something agian, I'll just reiterate that I am doing nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of, and if people don't like me nursing, even WITH a cover, then they don't have to look. Then if SHE wants to make a huge deal out of it, SHE can take it to the pastor.

We sit in the 3rd row, so Pastor can see everything I do, and if it bothers him or if there is a problem, I figure HE would have said something to me about it.

God bless!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
mama2myangels09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I can use a coupon code at Udder Covers. I'd only need to pay the (ridiculously over priced) shipping, but the cover itself would be "free." So it would end up just costing me about $12.00.

And yeah, I'm not taking it to the pastor. I've decided that she just has to deal with it, and if she says something agian, I'll just reiterate that I am doing nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of, and if people don't like me nursing, even WITH a cover, then they don't have to look. Then if SHE wants to make a huge deal out of it, SHE can take it to the pastor.

We sit in the 3rd row, so Pastor can see everything I do, and if it bothers him or if there is a problem, I figure HE would have said something to me about it.

God bless!
Watch using Udder Covers, they have had credit card information stolen before and bogus charges were made on the cards.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2myangels09 View Post
Watch using Udder Covers, they have had credit card information stolen before and bogus charges were made on the cards.
I had heard that a few years back. Is that still a problem?

Thanks.
God bless!