Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???

You need a diagnosis as she needs to have an epi pen available at all times. From what I have read from others who deal with this is that her reaction(level) this time does not indicate what her reaction could be another time.

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???

Yup, you need further testing and, if she tests positive, make sure to find a GOOD allergist. We had a pretty crappy allergist for the first few years after diagnosis, and I think it set us back quite a bit.

Your dd won't have to live in a bubble, but you will have to make adjustments. The Kids With Food Allergies message board (linked above) has a great "starter pack" with lots of info on adjusting to a new diagnosis.

Peanut allergy is scary, but it is also the allergy that has the most awareness surrounding it, which can be helpful. Many schools/kids' activities are nut free. (Among her many food allergies, my dd is anaphylactic to wheat--and she reacts through contact and airway. People often don't get how serious it is, because they think of nuts as the only severe allergy. And, yes, she reacted as an infant, both through contact and through breastmilk, to many, many foods.)
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you go to church? I would also alert your pastor. Our church has a peanut free room (the nursery right now) for kids that need it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a thought- she might have actually had something blown on her rather then just air. Agree with the testing and yo definitely need an epi. As a pp said previous reactions are not an indicator of severity of future reactions- particularly with peanuts. Unless the reaction is ana then you can almost guarantee that all reactions will be. Sorry to say only about 20% of kids outgrown peanut allergies. And those are usually kids with very mild allergies.

We are peanut free in our house. No food is brought into our house unless it is approved before time. We haven't had any non-family member babysitters, but when we do we will buy snacks for the babysitter so that no outside food is brought into our house. We don't have people wash hands when coming in, but everyone that comes in our house knows that they are to wash if they have had anything peanut before coming over. Or if we are at someone else's house we ask that kids don't eat any peanut stuff while we're there. And adults who do all know that they need to wash mouths and hands before touching dd or any of her stuff. Obviously we don't go to the homes of people we don't know well. And we make sure before we go that the people won't feel put out by our requests. Sad to say my sil does not allow dd at her house because she doesn't want to deny her kids peanut butter for the hour we're there. She's a real gem. For playgroups and stuff like that (you might want to consider shopping carts as well when she is older) use Clorox wipes before touching anything- you included. Just pull out a wipe and pick up the toy or grab the cart with it and start cleaning. For playgroups the easiest would be just to pick a few toys you think she will like and wipe those for her to play with.

Just a heads up for labels- US companies are only required to clearly label that an item has a top 8 allergen, they are not required to label if the product is processed in the same facility or on the same equipment. Those that do, do so voluntarily. And processed in the same facility could still mean that it was processed on the same equipment- they are not required to differentiate. You have to call companies about their labeling practices to see if they put facility warnings on packages or not. If it turns out that she does have an allergy, you will learn really quickly who labels well and who doesn't. And if it is not produced in the US- not required to label at all to be sold in the US. So you have to read ingredients and decide whether you are comfortable with processed in the same facility or not.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does she get any probiotics? If she's reacting so strongly at such a young age, I'd be worried about her immune system. Have you ever looked into a raw milk formula instead of commercial formula? You might also start giving her some high-quality yogurt or kefir. Seven Stars organic is a good yogurt brand.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would also take her in. It could have been the peanuts or something else random. My kids all got rashes around their mouths from various foods at various times in their lives when they started solids. Sometimes it was just sensitive baby skin as opposed to a true food allergy. DD still has issues with pineapple around her mouth but can eat it just fine as long as she keeps it IN her mouth. DS2 had odd poops when *I* ate PB and nursed him, broke out when he came into contact with things fried in peanut oil, yet was able to have actual peanut butter by the time he got to age 2.5

All this just to say to not totally freak out quite yet.

Oh, and I just heard about the birch and peanut link:
http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/09/2...y-test-peanuts

Quote:
According to researchers at Stanford, five to 12 percent of kids test positive for allergies to milk, shrimp, peanuts or eggs, but less than three percent actually have allergic reactions to those foods.
Just to furthur confuse us all!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Yes, the allergy tests are fairly unreliable in and of themselves--roughly 50% false positive rate and 10% false negative rate--but a positive allergy test COMBINED with a known reaction is fairly accurate.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

So I went to the Dr and I am more worried now then I was before. He sent an urgent referral in to the allergist in the area. HIs receptoinist told me it will be about a MONTH! WORSE he flat out REFUSED to write a script for an epipen! I found out I can buy one without a script but then I don't think our insurance will cover it. IT is going to be $100 PER pen and I live a min of 25 minutes ... driving like mad with no traffic ... to the nearest hospital. I would have liked to have four pens ideally but AT LEAST two until we find out if it is a true allergy or just a random baby rash.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
So I went to the Dr and I am more worried now then I was before. He sent an urgent referral in to the allergist in the area. HIs receptoinist told me it will be about a MONTH! WORSE he flat out REFUSED to write a script for an epipen! I found out I can buy one without a script but then I don't think our insurance will cover it. IT is going to be $100 PER pen and I live a min of 25 minutes ... driving like mad with no traffic ... to the nearest hospital. I would have liked to have four pens ideally but AT LEAST two until we find out if it is a true allergy or just a random baby rash.
The pedi refused to give you a prescription for an epipen, or the allergist did? For just one instance of a rash, I don't know that I would push hard for an epipen without testing. FWIW, DS did have testing at 10 months old after bouts of nasty hives andhave an epipen for peanuts as well as several other allergens, had some nasty reactions and now at 3 doesn't react to anything anymore! He outgrew them around 2.5-3.

ETA: if your baby has a anaphylactic reaction you need to call 911 anyway, and they can administer epipens on the way even if you don't have any on hand.

Last edited by an_aurora; 10-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
katerbug415
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Not to add more negative... But our epi pens are 100 WITH ins...so it depends on your ins anyway. Also... I'd never buy one without a doctors advice/prescription. I'm really surprised they didn't have you seen when it happened. My son had hives and developed swelling well after the incident, luckily we were in the office. It had been over 3 hours though...
katerbug415 is offline   Reply With Quote