Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: in-laws visiting, vent

That's exactly what my DH did!

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another option instead of having your DH move the extra big bed is to rent one. Those furniture rental places will rent beds and deliver them, set them up, and pick them up. We rented one last Thanksgiving for a week and I think it was $30 or something really cheap.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I would make it clear to them beforehand that things at your house are chaotic, and while they are more than welcome to stay, you would like for them to know that your main priority right now is relaxing, spending time with the baby and healing up. Tell them you will likely not be the best hostess of all time. They know in advance, you don't have to feel pressured. If they have a problem with imperfection, well, they knew ahead of time what thigns were going to be like at your house.

Don't stress. 6 weeks PP is not the time to be worrying about making your house perfect or "good enough". Make a list of what HAS to be done and give it to your hubby. Other then that, relax
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update:
Hubby can get moving expenses reimbursed but he has to use a specific company. If they are available Friday, great, if not, the future guest bed stays in hubby's old apartment for now and the in-laws get the air mattress in the living room. One problem solved.

Still worried about feeding all of us (4 adults + toddler) for a week. I've only had to meal-plan for the toddler + me as long as hubby has had this job out of state and my usual staples (e.g., grilled cheese + tomato soup) aren't going to cut it.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly i would just tell them no. you have a NB baby and you are in no shape playing hostess to them.it's fine if they come visit during the day but they really need to stay somewhere else. when DH and i stay with family while visiting we always go to the store and buy our own food.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
honestly i would just tell them no. you have a NB baby and you are in no shape playing hostess to them.it's fine if they come visit during the day but they really need to stay somewhere else. when DH and i stay with family while visiting we always go to the store and buy our own food.
This!

I think it's incredibly bold of them to invite themselves into your home at 6 weeks pp! I understand visiting and wanting to get to know the baby, but it is not an ideal time to expect you to host guests! Especially with the chaos of your DH moving back in and switching up your routine that way already.
I understand that you says they can't afford to stay in a hotel,.. I don't understand why that's your problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
As I mentioned upthread, they really have nowhere else to stay. People with better financial choices don't take a bus from across two states to meet their second grandkid. The only reason I had assumed they were staying elsewhere is because my MIL's sister worked for a hotel chain and used to get them free nights. But she has a job with a different chain now and I guess they don't have any locations here.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would let them know that really "grilled cheese and soup" are going to have to be good enough.

Really give yourself the release to let them be at your house, meet and enjoy the baby... and that's it. If they know about all the conditions you've described and they STILL want to be there, then just let it happen. Don't let them push you into being a "hostess" and don't put yourself there either.

I think a clean bathroom, fresh towel and an air mattress in the living room are all that I would expect when visiting during the conditions you've described. It may be (I hope) that they want to come during this time not to be a burden, but to help you guys unpack, make some dinners, let you get some rest and take care of the toddler/NB.

I suggest communicating with your MIL that you want her to visit and met NB but you're getting really stressed out because you WANT her to have a nice visit, blah-blah-blah and see if you get a positive response. At best, she'll tell you she understands and will help out when she arrives and at worst, you've prepared her for the "accommedations."

ps - spaghetti and meat sauce is an easy crowd pleaser!
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

And those family size lasagna things from the frozen section are easy to heat and serve with salad.

There was a gal in the thrift families board who had an idea to use chili in three different meals. Chili the first night. Add noodles and cheese for a "tex mex macaroni" for a second night, then put the leftovers down in a pyrex and layer cornbread on top and call it chili pie. (I think she said chili pie?)

I thought it sounded simple and genius.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJLD View Post
Another option instead of having your DH move the extra big bed is to rent one. Those furniture rental places will rent beds and deliver them, set them up, and pick them up. We rented one last Thanksgiving for a week and I think it was $30 or something really cheap.
I'd be afraid of bedbugs!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote