Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
End of the year testing?

We are in VA and you have to submit your proof of academic achievement in by August. This is our first year homeschooling we are registered as doing K but we are also incorporating 1st grade. We are not using a curriculum just lots of workbooks and such. Anywho, how do you do your standardized testing? Do you administer it yourself? Where do you purchase it? Do you have a "professional" evaluate your child? I am nervous that im not going to submit the correct test or what not.

Advertisement

Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: End of the year testing?

First off, you only have to test beginning the year your child is 6 by Sept 30th. So, for most kids that is technically the end of 1st grade. It sounds like you are not there yet for this year.

Secondly, I haven't had to do any of it yet because this is the year mine was 6 by Sept 30. But, I'm hoping and praying to meet someone who can eval his work rather than have him tested. I don't know anyone yet. If I can't find someone to do that, I'm planning to test him at home and probably using the CA tests, can't remember what they are called.

Also, we may take the religious exemption at some point which would eliminate the need for it. To be honest, I am very nervous. I'm trying not to teach to the tests and just do our own thing at our own pace. But, I am nervous he wouldn't "pass." However, the requirement for passing is VERY low. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's low.

Sorry I don't have any more good insight than that, but I hope it helps a little.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there Ariel!

Glad to hear homeschooling is going well.

PA is also a state requiring standardized testing. We only need it in grades 3, 5 and 8 but there is a specific requirement that the parent may NOT administer the test. Anyone else in the family can : )

When I looked at the VA homeschooling laws it says you have to do one of a few options. Maybe testing is what might work best for your family or maybe getting an evaluator might work. Remember the testing requirement is only IF your child was 6 yrs old by Sept 30th. If she was 5 you can skip it. In case she was 6 yrs old on or before Sept 30th you can easily get testing taken care of. VA homeschooling law doesn't specify who has to give the test so you can certainly administer it yourself.

There is a website where you can order the standardized test rather inexpensively and send it back to get it graded. Then you are done. The website is:
http://www.setontesting.com/
There are other standardized tests as well. Some have more requirements (i.e. only a certified teacher can administer it).

Don't worry about this. You and your child will just fine. It might be helpful to speak w/ some other homeschooling families in your area to see what their experience is like.

I would suggest you give your child the kindy test rather than the 1st grade test this academic yr.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there Ariel!

PA is also a state requiring standardized testing. We only need it in grades 3, 5 and 8 but there is a specific requirement that the parent may NOT administer the test. Anyone else in the family can : )

When I looked at the VA homeschooling laws it says you have to do one of a few options. Maybe testing is what might work best for your family or maybe getting an evaluator might work. Remember the testing requirement is only IF your child was 6 yrs old by Sept 30th. If she was 5 you can skip it. In case she was 6 yrs old on or before Sept 30th you can easily get testing taken care of. VA homeschooling law doesn't specify who has to give the test so you can certainly administer it yourself.

There is a website where you can order the standardized test rather inexpensively and send it back to get it graded. Then you are done. The website is:
There are other standardized tests as well. Some have more requirements (i.e. only a certified teacher can administer it).

Don't worry about this. You and your child will just fine. It might be helpful to speak w/ some other homeschooling families in your area to see what their experience is like.

I would suggest you give your child the kindy test rather than the 1st grade test this academic yr.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
First off, you only have to test beginning the year your child is 6 by Sept 30th. So, for most kids that is technically the end of 1st grade. It sounds like you are not there yet for this year.

Secondly, I haven't had to do any of it yet because this is the year mine was 6 by Sept 30. But, I'm hoping and praying to meet someone who can eval his work rather than have him tested. I don't know anyone yet. If I can't find someone to do that, I'm planning to test him at home and probably using the CA tests, can't remember what they are called.

Also, we may take the religious exemption at some point which would eliminate the need for it. To be honest, I am very nervous. I'm trying not to teach to the tests and just do our own thing at our own pace. But, I am nervous he wouldn't "pass." However, the requirement for passing is VERY low. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's low.

Sorry I don't have any more good insight than that, but I hope it helps a little.
He turned 6 september 17th of this year. We held him back for kindy because he was finishing his last year of chemo, which is why we are doing both kindy and 1st now. I dont want him to be behind others his age.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hi there Ariel!

Best wishes!
Thank you for the link! we are going to test using kindy rather than first just so I have the extra cushion. I am just so nervous that I am not teaching him enough and he won't pass and what not. He is so smart so I really should not worry but alas...I still do. All of our homeschooling friends are starting their kids this year as well so we all are kinda like fish out of water atm.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
He turned 6 september 17th of this year. We held him back for kindy because he was finishing his last year of chemo, which is why we are doing both kindy and 1st now. I dont want him to be behind others his age.
What a bummer he misses it by just a couple weeks. Mine is the opposite. His b-day is Oct 19th. So, we didn't start K till he was almost 6, but since his missed the age cut off, it was perfect for us. I'm pregnant now and due any day now. I kept saying as long as he is born after Sept 30th, I'd be happy because of the cut off. We made it since he is still in utero.

I think testing is a good option. I'm glad she had the link for you.

Anyway, sorry if my post came off harsh or abrupt. Looking at it now, I think it may have, but that wasn't my intention at all. Sorry about that.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
What a bummer he misses it by just a couple weeks. Mine is the opposite. His b-day is Oct 19th. So, we didn't start K till he was almost 6, but since his missed the age cut off, it was perfect for us. I'm pregnant now and due any day now. I kept saying as long as he is born after Sept 30th, I'd be happy because of the cut off. We made it since he is still in utero.

I think testing is a good option. I'm glad she had the link for you.

Anyway, sorry if my post came off harsh or abrupt. Looking at it now, I think it may have, but that wasn't my intention at all. Sorry about that.
Not at all! I did not think it was harsh You were just giving me information, which I asked for. I really wish he was a few weeks later so I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I guess eventually I have to so I might as well be prepared.

ETA: we are looking into religious exemption but im too nervous about meeting infront of the school board. PLus you have to have your religious leader or others vouch for your reasoning which I think is odd, but if you go through with it I would love to hear how your experience is. You can pm me if you dont want to post here. Thanks again!

Last edited by Antebellum; 10-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
Not at all! I did not think it was harsh You were just giving me information, which I asked for. I really wish he was a few weeks later so I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I guess eventually I have to so I might as well be prepared.

ETA: we are looking into religious exemption but im too nervous about meeting infront of the school board. PLus you have to have your religious leader or others vouch for your reasoning which I think is odd, but if you go through with it I would love to hear how your experience is. You can pm me if you dont want to post here. Thanks again!
My understanding from HSLDA was that they rarely have you appear before the board. They pretty much only do it if they feel they have any reason to doubt your letter. Technically, you don't HAVE to have anyone vouch for you. The law doesn't actually require it even though some counties try to ask for it. But, it is helpful to establish that your belief is sincere. We are members of HSLDA and they will actually review our letter prior to us submitting it. You could consider joining, even just for a year, to get help on it. My concern isn't about the other letters (our pastor homeschools his children and I'm sure I can come up with other people to write letters too), but rather the ramifications of the exemption. Once you are religiously exempt, you can no longer use any services the school system might otherwise provide, like speech therapy or the like. My sister has some major disabilities and needed some major services when she was homeschooled. I'm not sure how we would pay for some things if they came up. So, I'm kind of trying to wait till I'm fairly certain we won't need any. But, after that, we will probably go for it. I'm thinking that probably won't be for a few more years. But, who knows? We might feel called to do it sooner.