Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Testing my Preparedness

getting ready for this "frankenstorm" and all my neighbors are freaking out. hoarding gas, stealing food. that kind of freaking out. okay not really that bad, but close!!

i really didn't have to do that much and feel almost lazy and like i should be doing more to get ready but i don't need to!!

i put the deck furniture away, covered and secured the trash and recycling. and latched the barn door! whoopie i'm done!!

we don't need any food. we don't need water, we don't need gas, we don't need fuel

i have it all already and lanterns/propane if the lights go out. back up gas for fourwheelers to take us to the mountain if we need more drinking water. we live 5 mins from a mountain spring so we can fill up if we need to.

my pantry is already stocked with easy meals and we have a woodstove for cooking and an outside grill too.

is there something i'm missing and how are you preparing!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

If you are talking about sandy...whenever we have a "small" hurricane in Florida, we don't do that much...no shutters up or getting overly stocked. I think you are fine. You sound prepared in your way! Way to go!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Yup. We put potted plants and patio furniture in the shed, turned the table upside down, wedged the trash can up against the fence and that's all we did outside. I made sure to turn the freezer temp down a little bit, and double checked that we still have iodine and bleach. Oh, and bought storm cookie supplies that's pretty much it!

I laughed out loud at the store at a man who had six... Yes, SIX, five gallon water cooler jugs of water. Over prepared much? Haha. We are about 70+ miles inland as the crow flies, and the hurricane is actually predicted to hit about 90 miles NORTH of us... So we're just going to get a little rain. I'm a little disappointed since I always enjoy going outside during the eye of the storm.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Testing my Preparedness

we live in central pa. so we are expecting both storms converging on top of us. massive winds and rain and wide spread power outages
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Chloecat- Sounds like you are ready! I know when I get ready, nothing happens. Hoping this is true this time as well!
I did pick up a few gallons of water (we have well water... I could go down to spring and boil water, but this is easier). We are blessed to have gas/oil wells on our land and as long as maintain the lines we get free gas. SO we have heat (gas vents in each room) and stovetop to cook on even when power is out. Pantry is stocked. Generator is out and ready to go when needed.
I figure I'd wash dishes/do laundry each night. Then finish the rest of the week's baking today.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might want to put up some drinking water just in case. The last storm I lived through the fresh water wasn't safe to drink right away. The rain contaminated the water- as in can't even be boiled to drink contaminated. We were pretty close to the coast though, if your not close then it shouldn't be a big deal. So glad I don't live in a hurricane zone any more.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we're not close to the coast. we have well water and the well doesn't work when the power is out. so we'd have to take a drive to the spring to get fresh water. it's an underground spring that runs year round. we'd just bring our buckets/barrels with us. it's what we use when we go camping so i have no worries about the water. and if it looks iffy, i'll just boil it
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just stay safe Meagan, prayers comin your way sweetie!

We lived in Fl for a really long time. All storms from 92-05 effected in one way or another. many hit us head on. Our main issue was drinking water because when the ground is saturated, the septics would contaminate the drinking water as well as standing water. Just use caution if you are useing the well after the storm. I just wouldn't trust it if you had power.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
getting ready for this "frankenstorm" and all my neighbors are freaking out. hoarding gas, stealing food. that kind of freaking out. okay not really that bad, but close!!

i really didn't have to do that much and feel almost lazy and like i should be doing more to get ready but i don't need to!!

i put the deck furniture away, covered and secured the trash and recycling. and latched the barn door! whoopie i'm done!!

we don't need any food. we don't need water, we don't need gas, we don't need fuel

i have it all already and lanterns/propane if the lights go out. back up gas for fourwheelers to take us to the mountain if we need more drinking water. we live 5 mins from a mountain spring so we can fill up if we need to.

my pantry is already stocked with easy meals and we have a woodstove for cooking and an outside grill too.

is there something i'm missing and how are you preparing!

I think you've done what you need... just more calmly than your neighbors!

This is the first storm I've ever worried about since its so huge (I know its only a tropical storm at times, but it covers a lot of land) and going to converge with 2 other systems over saturated ground and the full moon just passed. (my brother was evacuated 350 miles north of me-- low area) I'm hopeful the trees will fall away from the houses. We didn't fair well around the 4th of july so I'm more cautious now... at least we won't be without power for a week in 100 degree heat.

we're cooking and baking as the winds are now starting to whip and we've got the generator ready to go if needed... no need to panic along with the news
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i made it through! my furnace was not so lucky! my dad came up yesterday to hook a generator up for us since he felt we couldn't possibly live without power for a few days. anyways, the amperage/voltage was not working properly and it blew my transformer box in the furnace the converts the voltage. so $500 down the drain for furnace parts and the generator didnt' work anyways!!

but we all survived. i took my freezer stuff to a friend last night who had power cause i didn't think my freezers would make it another day without thawing. and wouldn't ya know middle of the night i wake up and the lights are all on!!