Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #91
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Hilary I'm so sorry. We have cats here and I'm always worried that they'll try to take one but the rooster scares them off.

Sarah, YAY for babies!!!! And poor Ray.. ouch! As for the feed, my girls are going nuts on it too. I have my 8 young ones that aren't laying yet. The cold, and lack of garden/weeds/grass for them to munch is making them extra hungry too. What I've kinda been doing to temper their appetite and give them xtra calcium and greens is alfalfa. You can get a bale and just let them pick at it for entertainment but I got the big sack of compressed cubes and I soak probably about 10 cubes in a bucket and then toss it out for them to peck at. The days I don't do that I notice a huge difference in how much they eat of the pellets. It also makes their eggs taste really good. If you have access to cheap or free pumpkins, get lots of those too! They love the seeds, they'll eat the whole thing to get to them.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #92
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tip on the alfalfa. I'll check into that. I hope as soon as halloween is over to cheaply stock up on pumpkins. It will be a nice winter treat. I has really hoped to grow this stuff myself.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #93
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

meant to add. I peeled back a little more from the double and I can't be sure but it looks like they are not fully developed in the abdominal area.I'm just gonna keep the open areas moist and let the chicks lead the way from here. I'lll be keeping a close eye. I can see another little hole in another egg now. Lots of peeps. We have the bin ready and warm, fresh water with the electrolyte mix. I just have to have Ray bring in the bag of feed when it's time.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #94
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah they may not have absorbed all the yolk yet, I think that happens during the hatching process? As long as they can get air they should be ok for now. Poor little fuzzies, I hope they both make it! Wish my stupid rooster would fertilize all the girls. I want some ee babies! I'm dying to know what they'll "throw". I was thinking of selling them this spring since none of the area feed stores sell EE's. Even if I don't keep any for myself I want to know what their genetic combos will show since I have mostly wheaten, and a lot of blue genes in all of them.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #95
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish this roo would mate more. He's a smidge rougher than our other was. But he doesn't seem to mate as often? I really wanna see some purdy splash and blue cochins! I'm not certian who is laying out there. I also can't be sure of the new cochins age, so I'd like to replace some with colorfull ones we can name next year? I dunno. I also have this itch to see what the mixes will look like. Like for example, I'd love to see our australorp cross with the cochn. They may have the huge eggs of the aust and the big fluffy body of the coch. Oh, what would a barred and coch X look like?, haha!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #96
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I know. I so want some peanut x fred babies! (brahma/EE!) They'd have beards AND furry feet! Possibly be F1 olive eggers too.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #97
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why don't more people like X's? I just love them! Like ee's they are all diff and so fun. I like to get to know them, I know you shouldn't with food. BUT, I wanna see them have the best life possible and that involves being loved.

BTW- I HAVE got to get an ee! I'd love 2-3! Also a cpl buff orp's and blk copper marans!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #98
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.butternutvalleyfarm.com/496/winter-layers

Just found a really cool site.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #99
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, if you can wait I really want to hatch some of mine and if my dumb rooster steps up to the plate I would happily send you hatching eggs. I want some marans too, and swedish flower hens. I've already picked my next flock. lol
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #100
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh heck yea!!!! I'm ALL IN!