Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #111
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

I started a thread for all the pics for the momas who don't drop in this thread. I'll keep it updated. I have 8 unzipping now and 6 more to peep. One has the prettiest colors!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #112
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh I could look at them all day, I love the babies! Ok so yesterday I kept getting the EE girls to squat in front of Fred like "look dude, they're ready already!" LOL And this am he "shuffled" for Carmen so fingers crossed he mates them soon! Did I tell y'all that one of our baby EE's is squatting? Can't remember.. but she is (Carmen)! WOOT! Also checking the nests this am so very soon! I think I am going to get a supplemental light for them, our coop/run stays in the shade 90% of the day. We did that on purpose because of our scorching dry summers but I'm thinking that the low light is already causing the girls' slow laying and Fred's lack of interest in mating. I wasn't going to do that, but with only 6 girls laying and it looking like the rest will wait until spring I don't want to have to buy eggs all winter while they stuff their faces with expensive feed. LOL

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #113
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yay. Congrats on the EE's! Fingers crossed. I think the light is a good idea. Our girls really seem to be lovin their new light, insulation, and chips. I can tell the diff in letting them free range all day. I'm back up to around 4 eggs a day. Kinda stinks I have 20? out there and they go through so dang much feed for 4 eggs! By next spring, I'll see more closely who's laying and possibly rejuvinate the cochins if needed. I should have a good batch of pullets ready to lay by that time. Hopeing for some meat too. So much money has gone into these chickens.

We weren't able to have much choice in the location of the coop. Our land is too unlevel. This was the best stop. Wish it wasn't so close to the garden. They don't get direct sunlight till around 11. They needed the light. We're going to up the wattage of the bulb a little. it's only 60 now. I think they need 100. Then when we get the other one it will be plenty by then.

Ido have a problem though. With adding back the flooring for winter, most on the newer members of the flock and roosting on the ledge of the boxes. 2 of them are sleeping in them now.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #114
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used led rope lights in our coop, they are attached to the ceiling. Seem to work ok and don't use much electricity or give off a lot of heat.

I believe our RSL's have started to molt, their feathers look rough and I see some on the ground in the run. We've only been getting an egg from one of them. How long does it usually take? I got some cat food and BOSS for them, so far they love that! We had to buy some eggs from the farm we get milk from, the young EE don't lay enough eggs to keep up with how many we use. Will the RSL not lay as well when they are over their molt? We have a Dom that is the same age as the RSL and dosn't seem to be molting yet, still laying about 3-4 eggs a week. The EE are almost exactly 1 year younger than the RSL's. I know sometime in the future ( years) we will replace the entire flock, this time at the same time. 9 chickens seems to be a good fit for our coop. There are so many other breeds I would love to have!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #115
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just saw the pics! So adorable!! Can't wait to see how things turn out with the twins.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #116
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hilary-Sadly, the twins weren't developed enough and passed.

Moulting can last around 3 months. Depends on nutrition and some other stuff. See the link I posted a few posts back. I think I wrote cool link. She has an excelent article on fall moulting. Most chickens start in fall. Most research I found to be 3 months long. I really enjoyed her articles!!! Egg production should resume as normal after the moult though.She explains their laying cycle in detail. 1 hour shorter each day. so, every 23 hours aprox. All depends on breed too.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #117
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow 3 months or more! I guess we'll be buying eggs from that farm more often. I hope theirs don't all moult at the same time lol!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #118
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read each hen is on their own clock. If they arn't all the same age/breed, they can moult seperately. Although most do it in fall. What wad timeing? I don't get that part. Youd thing a warmer seasion or something? I get the body needs to rest and rejuvinate, but bad timeing with cold weather.

I REALLY don't wanna buy eggs either. I can't stand the though of store bought since I watched the vidio of how they are housed/treated. I don't think we have anyone close enough that sells. That's great you found loacal!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #119
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Hilary-Sadly, the twins weren't developed enough and passed.
oh no...what a bummer!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #120
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, crud. The chick that snoozed that time yesterday did it again this am. I checkd it over well and it has a major case of a splayed leg. It can't walk, flips over, and the others are trampeling it. I splinted the legs and it is doing horribly. I keep offering food/water and it's not interested. Another chick has a moderate leg the same. It's getting around ok splinted. I had to seperate the bin with a piece of cardboard and placed food/water in their side as well. I have been flipping the one back over every few mins though. Ahhh! I just don't have high hopes for tha one. other than that though, it's a very big/healthy chick. This stinks.