Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #121
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Aww Sarah,

Hun you have to remember that this is your first time hatching, you're not going to have a 100% success rate. Even those who have been hatching for 20 years have bad batches. You are doing everything you can. Hatching 16 out of 20 eggs is very good for your first run, I know it's sad and probably wish you had done things differently. But it's a learn curve and the next hatch you will have new knowledge of things you didn't have before. I am praying for baby to be OK, don't beat yourself up about it too much. It's easy to get attached to these babies, but there will be more in the future. sweet mama.

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #122
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

sarah did you read the chicken chick's blog post on it? She was pretty sure those first few days that a couple of hers weren't going to make it but after a week or so they were ok.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #123
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much odie!
did read some great educational blogs on it. It happens to be 2 cochins and I do notice my big girls keep their legs wide to support the massive weight. I thought these were doing the same at first. All the cochin littles stand diff. These two , just don't know. The big one with the worst leg isn't even wanting to get up now. Just hope they do better tomorrow. I read the leg splints can normally be removed and have a good success rate after 3 days. Worst cases sometimes another 3-4 days.

Thankd for the support momas!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #124
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, yesterday I got 2 eggs and today 6. Guess everyones clocks reser for this am, lol. Oh someone laid a new first. It's a teeny tiny dark brown.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #125
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think the one I got yesterday may have been a first of carmens? Time will tell! It was too green to be tilly's and too light to be greta's. My girls have been skipping sunday's. I told dh they're proper southern ladies. LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #126
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Not chickens, but this is so sweet, made me smile.. I needed that today!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #127
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Made me teart up! How sweet!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #128
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

After today, all my meaties will be gone! I just had to share because I'm so excited to get them butchered. October is not the time to raise these birds (we were in a crunch and had to) and I am thrilled to not have to worry about the frost, cold rains, damp, pneumonia, etc.

Because I have to take DS#1 to therapy today, DH is taking them to the butchers so I won't be much of a help. It will be nice to get home this evening and have birds in my freezer though!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #129
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OOOOOOh, congrats of the freezer full! Oh yum!

Oh my gosh, you won't believe my crappy luck! I had a clutch of 3 eggs that I thought were fails. They sank in the water test. Retested today and still sank. I put them in a bowl to head to compost, cam eback a hour later and went out the door. I heard a peep and my heart stopped! How the heck could it sink and still be alive? They were due yesterday. I have them back in the bator after being rinsed and dries. I just feel like crap now. But, how could i have really known? I'll be doing eggtopsys from NOW ON! No matter what. I sure hope they are ok. Must be my girls age that has made every egg a slow hatcher. I read that has a lot to do with it. But, the cochins are older? Oh well. Just hope at least the one fella makes it to peep. Oh.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #130
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh has started to zip, one has sounds, but no pip yet. The other is very quiet. Go chickeys go!

Add:

What breeds do you have liz? 2 ee, an ee roo aka-Fred, a rir, and ??

So I think I have 1 rir and 2 nhreds? Not 3 rirs. This dude totally ripped me. Told him the last guy gave me all roos so he gives me half roos and all the wrong breed. Grrrr for lieing scammers.

The reasion I think this is 2 of those 3 are lighter red and have single little rose combs. blk in the hackle and bigger blk tail feathers. The 1 is very, very dark brown with a little single comb. We call her little red her she's so dark. The 2 are always trouble, one seems to love/hate me. She's the one who kindly tackles me if she see's anything that can pass for a snack in my hands/arms. Ray LOVES her because she's like an exploreing baby, so inquisitive. Get's all up in your face to take a good look, ect. I actually have to shove her out of the way when entering the pen because she refuses to get out of my way. Dominant? I seriously try to show he I'm lead, but she id HARD headed. Ray doesn't have much interest in them, but her. Say's she has persionality and that's what we need. I swear I have been attempted to boot her. She won't take the snack from my hand, want's the fingers. Starts fights, ect. Just a real barn yeard bully. I don't even know if I hate her or she just intreagues me. It's like a human mind in her head. She's theone with the eagal eyes of the 2.

When she was young, always on me. This is meany Elly Mae.

Old evil eyes!

Curious, sweet Anna Belle, nhr?
See the comb?

On right, real rir. SOOO dark, no blk on hackle, single comb.

2 upper left, I believe are the new hampshire

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 10-16-2012 at 10:08 AM.