Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #131
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Oh my.. I hope the babies live!

Sarah it sounds to me (rose comb) as though you have buckeyes. NHR and RIR both have single comb. The personality matches up to what I have read too. Also, if she's between 20-30weeks old Meyer hatchery was running a super cheap sale price on them around 5 mos ago for a layer pack. If she is, I think she's better suited to your climate anyhow. My RIR's combs are so big that Sadie's flops over.

Ok are you ready for this? I have..

Roo - blue/red EE
Hens-
2 RIR
2 black sex link
4 EE
1 silver laced wyandotte
1 gold laced wyandotte
2 speckled sussex
1 red partridge rock
1 buff brahma

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #132
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, I had a "why didn't I think of that" moment while reading on BYC and since you're currently brooding I thought it would help you. I have one of those 250w red heat bulbs and the first time I brooded the chicks in the spring when it was still cold it was tough to get the temp right for them, I was constantly moving the lamp, changing from one wattage bulb to the next. This person on BYC said to another member, go get a lamp dimmer switch! This:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...2#.UH3OMfWVwdU

brilliant!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #133
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I beat you Liz, LOL!

I have:
Roos: Cocky Balboa/RSL
George/BLRW
Hens: Winnie/SLW
Ginny/BLRW
Gabby/BLRW
And 22 unamed 5 weeks old babies. Adam almost fainted when I told him next spring I plan on getting some cochins, bramas and marans. He calls me the "crazy chicken lady". Although he didn't say no either.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #134
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow girl, had no idea you had that many, lol. I am so jellious you have wyandotes! They are on my wish list too. I have a big list I know! PICS!!!!

I think you may be right about the breed! The rir can actually have a single or rose comb. Throws me off. However, the buckeye has a pea comb. My girls comb has changed quite a bit. It's kinda a rose pea, lol. I just don't know. I contacted the American buckeye club with pics and info. I hope to get some help from them. They do really look just like them!

I love the dimmer idea! may have to con Ray into one, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #135
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh duh I mis-read that. Forgive me, I was still working on a cup of coffee when I was reading. Well, my guess then would be that she's a sexlink of some kind. Possibly a SLW roo x RIR cross. If I'm right that would split the characteristics for comb but leave the males light with lacing and the hens red with some neck lacing and possibly some black here and there. Chicken genetics is fascinating!

Fodie You win. RFLOL!! You're gonna let me buy BLRW hatching eggs from you right? LOL How did your chicks turn out for color, I haven't seen them since they were weee little bitties!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #136
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this will shock you both when it's typed out in front of you!

7 cochins, 1 is our roo
5 br
1 rsl
1 star bsl
1 light brahma
3 reds-trying to find out if they are rir, buckeye, or nhr?
2 blk australorps
total-20 (thought I only had 19? Gotta figure out what's up and do a head count!)

16 peeps in the bin

22 eggs in the bator-1 pipping now.

36 total, 58 if all hatch, whitch I dought.

I think I have lost it. Don't know if Ray has even noticed how many there are yet? AHHHHH! I'll be the crazy chicken lady to him now. He already calls be the chcicken whisperer because i sit and talk to them. He doesn't know i sing to tinker, the tiney under weight cochin baby outside when I hold her to keep her calm.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #137
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh my gosh can you imagine 58 babies.. RFLOL! But I think you said you're going to cull some of the flock that isn't laying next spring?

My poor girls, it's getting dark about 6pm lately and I got a lamp and a timer tonight and set up one of my plant-sunlight bulbs to come on for a hour and 1/2 in the evening and then again at around 430am to 7am to get them more daylight. The EE girls (7mos) are laying only 2-3eggs a week and with what it costs to feed them, I need them laying. They're so confused. It was pretty dark when that light came on and a few of them went to the door and looked out like WTH?! LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #138
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah look at it this week even if you don't KEEP all of them you could definently do some bartering with them (at least that would be my excuse! LOL)
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #139
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ROTFL!!!! Too funny! I can just picture them and their faces.

No Liz, I can't immagine that many! Good grief! I guess I won't have time to miss the garden hun. :/ I'm gonna be crazy alright! Yea, as soon as spring rolls around I'll process the roos. I'll prob replace some of the blk cochins if I get some nice colors out of the batch of younging. Not too sure yet. I think since I'm letting them gorge themselves all day free rangeing, I'mm gonna cut back on the feed? They are still going through so much. Some of the cochins, Grace mainly, have become overweight. I don't want to deal with hand feeding, but it may just resort to that. They don't understant to stop. They arn't used to eating well. They have put on soooo much weight. The colors on the rocks are bold and bright! They were so dull and muted. So much healthier. They don't need to be such gluttens though. I don't want them sick. Grace is just awefull. Like a spayed dog with the swinging tummy pouch. She actually jiggles when she walks. Lard bums.

So I culled the lame chick that was so bad. the hocks were becomeing raw from it trying to shuffle without extending the lags. The legs stayed straight out as it crawled. it wouldn't eat/drink. I didn't see any improvement at all. Just couldn't watch it in pain with the hocks like that. The other is like new and in with the others. I have the newly hatched one in a bowl with a washcloth of the hospital side. It's not springing to life like most chicks. It seems just week. The other is almost unzipped atm. i'll prob wake up tonight to it running all around the bator. The 3 rd egg was a dud. Stopped developing at like 15 days? All black still. I keep getting just little black ones. they all look alike. Minus the tan, the yellow, and the 2 hairy little ones. I did a second wing sexing today, boy they grow fast! Here is the count of the first 15.
2 unsure yet
3 cockeral
Not bad. The feathers are pretty clearly either same length or stagered. kinda hard to tell with some of the major poofy cochins. We'll see.
The one in the little bol looks to be another cockeral.
I'll compare again tomorrow. Today was more clear than yesterday. I know you can only really tell the first 3 days really. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #140
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

haha! Yea, I can do that! I'll also remind him what a good ready to lay pullet sells for here! Good one! waite till he see me go get another bin when the others hatch!!! Thud! There he goes. Oh my word!