Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #161
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope we haven't. I don't like eggs except for hard boiled.

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #162
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
9 chickens and 4 eggs most days . I know for sure 3 RSL's are moulting, It's been 3 green eggs and one or two brown ones lately. I noticed that my dom has a bald spot on her butt! She doesn't seem to be moulting other places, it is nothing but bare skin when she bends over in a roundish area right under her vent. Keeping an eye on it. She has been laying eggs this week, but slowing down. Her and the RSL that is not moulting are 2 weeks younger than the other RSL's. It rained today and the moulting girls looked soo bad and kinda funny when wet!
Two of my girls were picking their tail area when they had lice, I'm sure you probably already did this but did you check for creepy crawlies? I'm dreading next yr when my girls do their first true moult and we don't have eggs. I'll buy them from another farmer.. or maybe I'll break and freeze them. I can't stand store bought eggs now. They taste like a cardboard box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
Nope we haven't. I don't like eggs except for hard boiled.
What! So are the chickens just pets? You know, you might try the eggs from your hens just once. The flavor is so much better!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #163
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Got 6 eggs today, too early to say for sure but it would seem the light/timer in the coop is helping.

I got almost all of my supplies for the incubator too, need a water heater thermostat still. Dh said he'd help and was pretty interested. He's usually very blase about what I'm doing with the chickens. "So long as you're happy with them honey" is his chicken mantra.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #164
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs

Two of my girls were picking their tail area when they had lice, I'm sure you probably already did this but did you check for creepy crawlies? I'm dreading next yr when my girls do their first true moult and we don't have eggs. I'll buy them from another farmer.. or maybe I'll break and freeze them. I can't stand store bought eggs now. They taste like a cardboard box.

What! So are the chickens just pets? You know, you might try the eggs from your hens just once. The flavor is so much better!
No the rest of the family eats eggs like water. We go thru 4-5 dozen a month, just not me lol.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #165
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, i get that "so long as your happy sug (short for sugar)" too.

I woke to a MASSIVE egg shaped warty pumpkin on the couch with a note! Apparently he couldn't resist getting it for me. He thinks it's the coolest ever, hehe. What a sweetie! This thing is MASSIVE!

Oh shoot, gotta go.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #166
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
No the rest of the family eats eggs like water. We go thru 4-5 dozen a month, just not me lol.
I'm not a huge egg fan either...I mainly use them for baking.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #167
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Got 6 eggs today, too early to say for sure but it would seem the light/timer in the coop is helping.

I got almost all of my supplies for the incubator too, need a water heater thermostat still. Dh said he'd help and was pretty interested. He's usually very blase about what I'm doing with the chickens. "So long as you're happy with them honey" is his chicken mantra.
My SO is the total opposite. The chickens are his babies! I try to be helpful to but he does most of the work for them. I'm glad it's finally not chick season anymore b/c I swear he would get some new chicks every time we went to the feed store if he could.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #168
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ok so new problem ladies, since my girlies are getting up earlier with the light they stay in the coop but they jump down and smear around all the poopies. It's on the roosts, on their feet and it's all smooshed up in the sand so it's hard to pick up. I'm thinking of putting the light up out in their run near the food. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #169
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What times exactly are you useing the light. I read an articple about one woman who had her timer set for just before sun up and down to give her flock exactly 13 hrs of daylight. Don't know that it would help with warmth? You adding it to help with eggs, warmth, or both?

Look who came all the way up to the back door. The 3 red hens and Mrs. Purdy saw me step out the door and came running half way. As soon as I said mornin girls (my treat call), most of the flock came righ up to the steps. Crazy girls!

Our pretty shades of browns from the last cpl days:

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #170
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aww how sweet I it when they all come running and follow me. They look so much better sarah!

Here's one of my girls, Carmen. You've gotta love those cheek poofs. She's gorgeous, I hope she doesn't change much with her first moult. Her feathers on her chest are so cool, she looks like she's wearing a tweed vest.

Help I can't see past my cheeks!

Pippin and Sadie (behind her) were all up in my face when I was trying to take onion pics. LOL

My handsome roo trying to feed the girls falling leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrzfq...ature=youtu.be

And crowing here, Wyatt (my 2 yr old ds) has starting doing this singing/screaming high pitched noise and Fred does NOT like it one bit! His crow sure has changed since I shared his baby crow. First baby crows HERE

crow at :27 into video.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.