Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #181
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

it's normal becky give then a few weeks fo figure things out!

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #182
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Have I ever shared my furry "chicken" LOL! He's such a sissy pants but what a handsome boy. Ghost:

Ok so here's my project, a home made incubator. Got most of my supplies here so I took a "start" pic:

Here's mid progress. I wanted to have my bator interior set up the way I wanted it to be before I decided placement on the lamp and fan, wired it in and then was stuck with it. I've marked it but you can't see it in the photo due to the lid being on but the lamp will be on the left above my heat sink (water filled tupperware) and the fan a little higher on the right above the water pan. I'm so excited! Dh watched in fascination. I'm thinking he's going to want to hatch babies just to see if it works. LOL I sure hope not, I don't really want any till spring.

The slip mat will be across the whole grate when in use, I just moved it so you could see the stuff under. I took two long pieces of foam that I had cut from the lid to put the window in to make supports on the bottom for the grate and a heavy load of eggs. There's a aquarium tube in the side that runs into the water dish to add water without opening the bator. I'd love feeback on anything you'd change! Oh and the baggie is a DIY "water wiggler" that you insert the temp probe into to get better reads on temp.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #183
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMGosh! Love it hun! Great work. First though, I have to say how much I adore Ghost. One tip, they are kinda a pain to properly sanitise and scrub clean. ots of dried up remnants of the leftover yolk sac and tiny chips of shell. Be sure you make it easy on yourself to clean. Looks to cool girl! How many do you think it will hold. To be honest, I don't know what a styrafoam packing creat is? Lke a cooler, only more rectangle or square? And if it's ok to ask, how much doea a dig humidity/temp reader cost? A cheap one. What dept has them?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #184
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's awesome, Liz!! Go, you!!! Let us know how the project goes... I am sure my DH will be thrilled when I say, "One of the girls on the site is making an incubator and it looks so cool!!!!"

I would agree with chickens working through a laying cycle. Around here, we get eggs from crack of dawn until about 3 pm.... Silly chickens. We recently found a clutch of eggs hidden in a back corner of the barn. We were a bit lower in numbers, but I figured fall, a few coming back from moult, loss of Roo, etc... Nope, found about 11 eggs hidden away in a secret nest. Naughty girls don't have open access to the barn anymore.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #185
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
My SO is the total opposite. The chickens are his babies! I try to be helpful to but he does most of the work for them. I'm glad it's finally not chick season anymore b/c I swear he would get some new chicks every time we went to the feed store if he could.
This was us. Chickens were HIS dream. We live in his childhood home/farm and he was always pestering his parents for chickens. They bred horses and rabbits, but no chickens. He worked on a chicken farm. From the time we planned on moving here, he started with the chickens. All I heard about was chickens. His mother and I even had a running joke about chickens. So, finally, he built a fabulous coop and we got chickens. Great, right?

Well, guess whose babies they are now? Who do they come running to see when she steps outside? Not DH.... They are all MINE now.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #186
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well now I'm positive she's laying, miss carmen laid her first gorgeous little egg this am! It's literally the size of a quail egg or a bantam egg. It's sooo small! I can't remember the other girl's eggs being this small. It is a perfect Tiffany blue too! I hope her sister's is just as pretty. Love my EE's!

so teensy! But look at that color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
OMGosh! Love it hun! Great work. First though, I have to say how much I adore Ghost. One tip, they are kinda a pain to properly sanitise and scrub clean. ots of dried up remnants of the leftover yolk sac and tiny chips of shell. Be sure you make it easy on yourself to clean. Looks to cool girl! How many do you think it will hold. To be honest, I don't know what a styrafoam packing creat is? Lke a cooler, only more rectangle or square? And if it's ok to ask, how much doea a dig humidity/temp reader cost? A cheap one. What dept has them?
Thank you, he's such a sweetie but if you move too fast he flips out and hides. LOL I read that about cleaning but I'm not sure what I could put in there that would be safe. Everything comes out of the bottom completely, is that what you mean? The tubs, the tray, all of it comes out. I was thinking that maybe a piece of the press and seal wrap on the very bottom underneath the tray and all to cover the styrofoam would be good? This box is a food shipping grade styrofoam box. It's a good 2" thick in the wall. I got it from a friend that's doing weight watchers and has frozen food shipped to her but I read a few places that you can ask a pet store for the styrofoam boxes they ship fish and nightcrawlers in, same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
That's awesome, Liz!! Go, you!!! Let us know how the project goes... I am sure my DH will be thrilled when I say, "One of the girls on the site is making an incubator and it looks so cool!!!!"

I would agree with chickens working through a laying cycle. Around here, we get eggs from crack of dawn until about 3 pm.... Silly chickens. We recently found a clutch of eggs hidden in a back corner of the barn. We were a bit lower in numbers, but I figured fall, a few coming back from moult, loss of Roo, etc... Nope, found about 11 eggs hidden away in a secret nest. Naughty girls don't have open access to the barn anymore.
Thanks! I actually found it on pinterest and was like... shoot... $20 in supplies I'm THERE! If it works, I just saved myself $100 on the incubator I was going to buy and I made it more to my liking. That's $100 I have toward those swedish flower hen hatching eggs I want. LOL

I agree, after I took that video yesterday (scroll up a few posts if you missed it) I collected an egg from Sadie who was sitting but nobody else after. 3 pm is really the magic number...bizzare! oooh bad girls hiding their nest! Sounds like you have a few secretive hens like I do. Those ones in particular like the storage tub nests, you should try one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
This was us. Chickens were HIS dream. We live in his childhood home/farm and he was always pestering his parents for chickens. They bred horses and rabbits, but no chickens. He worked on a chicken farm. From the time we planned on moving here, he started with the chickens. All I heard about was chickens. His mother and I even had a running joke about chickens. So, finally, he built a fabulous coop and we got chickens. Great, right?

Well, guess whose babies they are now? Who do they come running to see when she steps outside? Not DH.... They are all MINE now.
I can't blame dh, it was all me. I have been wistfully dreaming of chickens for years and dh has been like noooes... just wait and when we move you can have them it will be better that way! You can get them if you want to... but it would be better to wait. I've always said ok. This year I said look, we haven't moved, we can't afford to move any time soon so I'm going down to the feed store and buying myself some chicks, capiche? He just says ok honey. LOL
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #187
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Here's some links to the info I used to make the incubator -

building the incubator, supplies, tut and somewhere in the thread a wiring diagram and lots of ideas for modifications and troubleshooting:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/85...-bator-updated

A video on making the $8 thermostat more effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsbV...U3DO9T4FjJyjfA

How to make the two different types of thermostats you may find most effective by type:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4gU...U3DO9T4FjJyjfA
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #188
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Well now I'm positive she's laying, miss carmen laid her first gorgeous little egg this am! It's literally the size of a quail egg or a bantam egg. It's sooo small! I can't remember the other girl's eggs being this small. It is a perfect Tiffany blue too! I hope her sister's is just as pretty. Love my EE's!

so teensy! But look at that color!

Thank you, he's such a sweetie but if you move too fast he flips out and hides. LOL I read that about cleaning but I'm not sure what I could put in there that would be safe. Everything comes out of the bottom completely, is that what you mean? The tubs, the tray, all of it comes out. I was thinking that maybe a piece of the press and seal wrap on the very bottom underneath the tray and all to cover the styrofoam would be good? This box is a food shipping grade styrofoam box. It's a good 2" thick in the wall. I got it from a friend that's doing weight watchers and has frozen food shipped to her but I read a few places that you can ask a pet store for the styrofoam boxes they ship fish and nightcrawlers in, same thing.

Thanks! I actually found it on pinterest and was like... shoot... $20 in supplies I'm THERE! If it works, I just saved myself $100 on the incubator I was going to buy and I made it more to my liking. That's $100 I have toward those swedish flower hen hatching eggs I want. LOL

I agree, after I took that video yesterday (scroll up a few posts if you missed it) I collected an egg from Sadie who was sitting but nobody else after. 3 pm is really the magic number...bizzare! oooh bad girls hiding their nest! Sounds like you have a few secretive hens like I do. Those ones in particular like the storage tub nests, you should try one!

I can't blame dh, it was all me. I have been wistfully dreaming of chickens for years and dh has been like noooes... just wait and when we move you can have them it will be better that way! You can get them if you want to... but it would be better to wait. I've always said ok. This year I said look, we haven't moved, we can't afford to move any time soon so I'm going down to the feed store and buying myself some chicks, capiche? He just says ok honey. LOL
I'm jealous! I so wanted my EE to lay pretty colors! Ours is just a pale tan or something.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #189
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Off to pinterest to find where you pinned it Liz lol.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #190
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want an EE!!!!! Ahhhhh. Congrats.

As for cleaning, I just meant that you can get to all the parts to sanitise. I use a spray bottle with bleach and a bit of dawn in it. Then rinse and dry well. I cleaned it out after the first batch hatched, warmed it back up and replaced the eggs. I didn't want the water in the pan under the grate to get germy. I put the eggs in a little cooler with a warmer meanwhile.

I'd love to make one like yours. Again, great work.

Kat-glad you found those eggs!

AFM-I got 90% of the work done yesterday. Hope to finish today. Got Daisy May from the vet's and headed straight out to work. Didn't come in till dark. Boy my back payed for it, so bad I woke at 2 and couldn't sleep. I think a muscle relaxer and an 800 ibroprofrin. My ambition get's the better of me.

I can't wait to finish! I'm headed out there as soon as I can today. Ready to get it done.

OH GOT 8 eggs yesterday! Yipeeeee!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote