Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #191
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Becky you stalker.

Sarah, you will have EE's! I will make sure of that! I think everything in there will be ok to clean, maybe I'll put a paper towel on the bottom to be sure. I really just don't know what to expect.

Dh did the wiring last night (truthfully I think he was just showing off his electrician skills ) and it's finished! I turned it on last night and have been calibrating the thermostat. For the last couple hrs since I added an extra bottle of water (heat sink) it has been holding steady air/probe temp at 99/98 and 48-50% humidity. I am going to try a first hatch at 45-50% humidity for the first 18 days and then up to 60-65% humidity for lockdown so those are my goal temps. I may need to bump it up a 1/2 degree to get closer to 99-100 degrees but I want to give it a few hours to be sure. This is SOOOOO much fun! Everyone wants to put eggs in it except me. LOL

Inside brooder, sorry hard to see with reflection.

How funny, dh's chihuaha is "daisy mae". How is she recovering? Can't wait to see what you did with the boxspring! Be careful! I did that that other day, moved too much stuff and then my sciatica was hooorrrible. Wish my 33 yr old body could keep up with my 20 yr old brain.

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #192
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

And I am talking to myself today but I tried this diy waterer I pinned:

http://homesteadrules.com/homemade-chicken-waterer/

And I got to "turn it upside down in the dish" and all hell broke loose. Can you imagine what happened? Can you see it? Are you roaring with laughter at my expense? I sure hope so. Let me give you a visual. I'd set the tray in it's new location, paraded my full bucket in there and all my hens followed me expectantly. I raised that bucket, flipped it over and that lid popped off like a rocket. Wet pissed off hens went screaming.. mud splashed everywhere, all up my legs and down into my garden shoes. It was windy and cold and now I was dripping wet from the thigh down. The girls scuttled up under the patio chair and cussed me softly, glaring out from under the seat in disgust. I said a few choice words myself LOL. So now I don't know what to do. Try another bucket or? I'm sure the girls will appreciate it.... right?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #193
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So a friend has offered to give us golden comets, he says that 10 eggs a day is too many for him.

In researching goldens, I realized that what my little pullet is. No wonder I get no blue eggs rofl.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #194
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
So a friend has offered to give us golden comets, he says that 10 eggs a day is too many for him.

In researching goldens, I realized that what my little pullet is. No wonder I get no blue eggs rofl.
oh no... ha ha! Poor Becky. In the spring when my hens are more fertile I'd be happy to send hatching eggs to anyone who can cover the shipping!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #195
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs

oh no... ha ha! Poor Becky. In the spring when my hens are more fertile I'd be happy to send hatching eggs to anyone who can cover the shipping!
I'm going to get a couple from him, and then I might see if we expand the space somehow to add a couple more.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #196
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies,

Liz- I would be glad to send you some hatching eggs when I get them. And love the incubator!

We have had a busy last couple days, Macy (our GSP/mix) gave birth to 5 little puppies last night. 1 little girl passed away, I think she may have been the first. Seemed like it took a long time for her to get her out. It's sad, but it happens. We have 4 beautiful healthy pups, 3 boys and 1 girl. They are so sweet.

Still waiting on eggs here, been seaching the usual places they hang out. I don't know if it is possible that they are laying and I don't know it. Will they hide the eggs? My SLW is 24 weeks and the BLRW girls are 21weeks. I have not seen her squatting much though. Guess time will tell for sure. I will post pictures when I get a new mini usb transfer cord.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #197
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
And I am talking to myself today but I tried this diy waterer I pinned:

http://homesteadrules.com/homemade-chicken-waterer/

And I got to "turn it upside down in the dish" and all hell broke loose. Can you imagine what happened? Can you see it? Are you roaring with laughter at my expense? I sure hope so. Let me give you a visual. I'd set the tray in it's new location, paraded my full bucket in there and all my hens followed me expectantly. I raised that bucket, flipped it over and that lid popped off like a rocket. Wet pissed off hens went screaming.. mud splashed everywhere, all up my legs and down into my garden shoes. It was windy and cold and now I was dripping wet from the thigh down. The girls scuttled up under the patio chair and cussed me softly, glaring out from under the seat in disgust. I said a few choice words myself LOL. So now I don't know what to do. Try another bucket or? I'm sure the girls will appreciate it.... right?
I have had that happen with store bought waterers, so don't feel too bad. Our feeder is that style, though, and it works a charm.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #198
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Hi ladies,

Liz- I would be glad to send you some hatching eggs when I get them. And love the incubator!

We have had a busy last couple days, Macy (our GSP/mix) gave birth to 5 little puppies last night. 1 little girl passed away, I think she may have been the first. Seemed like it took a long time for her to get her out. It's sad, but it happens. We have 4 beautiful healthy pups, 3 boys and 1 girl. They are so sweet.

Still waiting on eggs here, been seaching the usual places they hang out. I don't know if it is possible that they are laying and I don't know it. Will they hide the eggs? My SLW is 24 weeks and the BLRW girls are 21weeks. I have not seen her squatting much though. Guess time will tell for sure. I will post pictures when I get a new mini usb transfer cord.
Congrats on the pups! Sorry about the poor little girl pup, though. We have recently lost our dog of 13 years and I miss dogs, so much.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #199
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have time to cAatch up, sorry. I just wanted to share how the brooder came out. Here it is. Much nicer in person. Still have to add the perch.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...der/?start=all

I'm exausted. Feels good to have had it turn out so well.

Also, have some quick pics. heck out this long egg someone keeps laying.

I get a stampede every time I walk out the door now. Even Ray or the kids. We're avoiding the back door, lol. Have to even get them to not follow us as we leave. Thank goodness for gates!

Our sweetie Tinker Bell.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #200
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
How long before I can count on them being regular layers?

And will they always lay in the afternoon evening if that's what they are doing now?
I'm sorry I must have missed your question. It takes a good 3 weeks I'd say before you'll be getting one normal egg from each girl daily. Don't be surprised if you get some soft eggs for a while or eggs that have been dropped from the roost while sleeping or laying in the yard. They get the hang of it eventually. Most of my girls lay in the morning, like sarah said if they haven't laid by the time I go pick up the boys from school (3:30pm) then they aren't going to but the very next morning that hen is the first in the box.

Quote:
I'm going to get a couple from him, and then I might see if we expand the space somehow to add a couple more.
What kind, more comets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Hi ladies,

I will buy them from you! Congrats on the puppies... PICS!! My wyandottes have been maturing pretty slow, I asked my friend Jamie about it and she said hers didn't lay till 27w but laid nice big eggs from the start and a lot of double yolkers too. So we have that to look forward to. Also this is the time of yr that there isn't enough light to keep the egg-factory going so I added supplemental light in my coop on a timer for my hens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I don't have time to cAatch up, sorry. I just wanted to share how the brooder came out. Here it is. Much nicer in person. Still have to add the perch.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...der/?start=all

I'm exausted. Feels good to have had it turn out so well.

Also, have some quick pics. heck out this long egg someone keeps laying.

I get a stampede every time I walk out the door now. Even Ray or the kids. We're avoiding the back door, lol. Have to even get them to not follow us as we leave. Thank goodness for gates!
my girls have started doing the same thing. It's like a MOB! LOL I have to go out there with bread or something to give them or they will trip me to find out if I have anything in my hands.

That turned out fantastic Sarah, Great job, very impressive!! Makes me wish I hadn't put mine out for dump pickup! I have some of that metal sheeting left over too, oh well!

I love your little pumpkin, will it stay fresh till halloween? Every time we carve ours early they curl all up.

Look at all your looooong eggs! That's crazy! Got another little blue button egg from my Carmen today.