Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #201
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Oh sheesh, 27 weeks!? Holy cow I am so impatient. I just bought 5 dozen eggs, we go through them so fast in this house. Between baking bread, cakes, etc. The kids can't get enough scrambled eggs or broccoli quiche. Thus the reason to have more than a few laying hens. I checked on the chickens today and noticed there are 2 chicks missing I am pretty sure it is the cat that has been hanging around. Going to have to take care of that. But of the 20 left there are at least 6 cockerals I think. I hope thats it. I wonder how easy it will be to sell the roos? I have the 2 now and they don't get along that well. Was going to finish the coop this weekend but hubby has to work tomorrow, I am really wishing he had more time. Alright, bed time. I will post pictures as soon as I can. There are some on my FB page.

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #202
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz-Congrats on the second egg! Yay!!!!!
Ray now wants a bator like yours, lol.
It's already freezing every night, so te pumpkin should stay good. Little, hehe. I could put William in the thing. I only got a handfull of seeds though. We were all really surprised.

Yea righ, about the mob. I'd break my neck if I didn't take out something. Ray sat out back for a few last nigh before darn and darn Elley may came beggin. Ray made me find her something, then everyone chicken bombed him. Ha! She followed me around ALL day yesterday. Even sat with me by the back of the house the whole time I painted the brooder coop. Guess she does like me. What a weird chicken.

Fodie-Sweetie, I'm soooo very sorry about you looseing the chickens! Dang cats. We have to put Daisy May out today and I'm worried. She'll be gone in a heart beat. My boys go through a lot of eggs too. They ate 6 fried eggs each a cpl mornings ago! 3 and 7 yos! It does stink not haveing the hubby around when there are things needed to be done. Hope you guys get the time soon. I'll say some chicken wishes you don't have more than the 6 cockerals. I have a hard time selling mine unless they are the "it" breed. You could always let them fill out enough to put in the freezer?

And do remember to share those pics!

AFM- got another 8 eggs yesterday. When I was collecting, one of the australorps was looking for a nest box, lol. Yay. I think they are happier being out all day.

I'm giveing shreded newspaper a try in the boxes. So far its mixed feeling. I like how it stays fluffy for them, BUT collecting is hard. The eggs sink under the paer and I have to lift it all out to see if there is any.

Getting nervious about the weather, suppost to be down in the 20s before halloween. Ill never get my fall crop!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #203
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah! I understand it happens, the reason behind the coop was to have a even safer place for the babies, right now they are in a rabbit hutch with the big chickens, and it's crowded. We also have a door opener, I am not sure who is doing it, but someone has figured out how to unlatch it.

Just got off the phone with my DH, he probably won't be home till 8 or 9. It's really nice out today, 72 and sunny. It is not likely we will have another nice day to build the coop. I am thinking about just doing most of it myself. It's not exactly a "one-man" job but I know how to build, my dad is a contractor and I've gotten a few lesson's on using powertools, measuring, and planning a build. Somedays I wish my hubby had more time, he usually works a lot this time of year, he has been picking beans and corn for the past 3 weeks. Now he is stalk chopping and driving semi to load/unload. He wasn't supposed to work today, but I guess time is money and we will be seeing a nice healthy check this week. I do appreciate all the work he does.

Anyway, I think I will start doing some building on the coop, cleaning and whatnot too. I was trying to come up with some ideas for decorating the coop in and out, anyone have any fun and cheap ideas? I live on a farm and have a lot of crap to recycle. And I am still impatiently waiting for eggs, HAHA!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #204
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Fodie did you have a plan for your coop or were you going to wing it? What have you got started already. For your escapees, just put a bungee cord across the door to secure it. Love rabbit hutches for the little ones, that's what we use ours for.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #205
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Partly planned and partly winged. I do my best thinking when I'm out of time so to speak. We built a mini-deck (4x8) and are building the walls now. I have a door and windows too. Tin siding and insulation. Most of the wood/siding/insulation was free except for the 2x4's, they were about $70. Otherwise we pretty much have everything we need. So far I think we have spent $82 WITH nails and glue....LOL!

Last edited by Nielsen6; 10-21-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #206
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, NICE! I think we spent about $200 building ours. Lumber is so expensive!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #207
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Wow, NICE! I think we spent about $200 building ours. Lumber is so expensive!
We are lucky, Adam works part-time for a construction company. His friend works for another, so they both just brought a bunch a leftover's home and we made it work! : )

Next project is a pallet wood floor.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #208
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We spent somewhere around $600. The brooder coop was free though. Much of the cost was the roofing, screws, and the pressure treated lumber. Mainly the 4X4's.

I'll update with new pics asap. They grow so darn fast!!!!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #209
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fodie-You could upcycle gutters for window box type flower beds. I want to do a painted white star or barn quilt.
Hah, list your scraps/junk and we can all brainstorm for a cool project. I LOVE to upcycle!

I forgot to mention. I saved some training weels a very long time ago thinking i could find a good use. I did. I put them on the brooder pen!

Here is a cpl of them:

Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #210
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could it be that our new to us hens that we just got on Saturday, are laying already? We have gotten 2 different looking eggs already.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote