Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #221
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Becky-What's the time period and their age again? Like 2 eggs in a week or? Do you have a pic of them. I thought you had posted one? I'm thinking it a was a rsl in the pic is why I ask. I have a 7mo and I'm just now getting this long odd cream egg with speckles and was thinking it was her?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #222
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Becky I'd give them till spring at least. This time of the year even new layers slow down. That really stinks though! Kudos to all you mamas adopting these poor hens! I hope they're seized. Did you talk to anyone at the sherrif's Sarah?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #223
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Becky I'd give them till spring at least. This time of the year even new layers slow down. That really stinks though! Kudos to all you mamas adopting these poor hens! I hope they're seized. Did you talk to anyone at the sheriff's Sarah?

Aww and your babies are so sweeet! I miss that.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #224
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, the sherrif is really nice. I asked if it was possible, to keeep me updated. He was going to send an officer asap.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #225
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Becky-What's the time period and their age again? Like 2 eggs in a week or? Do you have a pic of them. I thought you had posted one? I'm thinking it a was a rsl in the pic is why I ask. I have a 7mo and I'm just now getting this long odd cream egg with speckles and was thinking it was her?
They are 31 weeks now, and 2 eggs in the course of a week from 3 hens. They are laying huge brown eggs. Our othe chicken lays skinny little light ones, but she is only 22 weeks old.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #226
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW! What a bummer. If it's only been the span of a week, you may want to consider waiting till spring? I just don't know. The cold comeing on, the lack of more daylight/long days, it all controlls their internal laying clocks. Also, if any moulting, other changes have happened, they could be temp disturbed. I have a few girls that still havn't layed and they are 7+ months, i think that's right. Now it's getting colder with shorter days they may not till spring. It stinks you'll be feeding them all winter, plus the 8 months, for free.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #227
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thought I'd share this link for those interested in chicken genetics and colors:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...=group_comment

Hope the link works. The man that put up the page helps with questions about what colors your chickens are called and particularly what you get with diff colors. Just found out my splash and black will give 100% blues.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #228
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some great info he shared:

If you cross black with blue ,you will /should get 50% blue and 50% black ,cross one of the blue off spring cocks back over it's mum (preferable to bro yo sis) and you will eventually get splash bro to sis (blues) will yield the same but mum to son is a better/safer genetic cross

splash x splash = 100% splash (always)... (just like black x black.... always black )........or blue x blue =25% splash , 25% black and 50% blue ...or splash x blue =50% splash and 50% blue ...based on a 1000 chick hatch except ....black x black or splash x splash these will always be of the same colour of parents ...; UNLESS... recessive white is involved (both parents need to have this to get a percentage of white ).......it is possible to get an all blue hatch from 2 blues or all blacks or all splash ..rare but all the same possible ...with splash x blue you" COULD" get all blue or all splash but eventually the numbers will come to prove the above percentages ...please be aware that sometimes blues are SO black that they look black ...but they aren't black

Black over splash will give 100% blue chicks ,frizzle ( from memory) when crossed with non frizzle will yield 50% of each ,frizzle x frizzle is not a good match as you will get birds with very bad feathering and bald spots as the feathers age

Basic ColorsBlue/Black/Splash (BBS)
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% SplashBlue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black x Splash = 100% BlueBlack x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
NOTES - - Black can NEVER parent a Splash Bird, and
Splash can NEVER parent a Black Bird.

LavenderLavender (Self Blue) x Lavender (Self Blue) = 100% Lavender (Self Blue)
Lavender (Self Blue) x Black = 100% Split (Visually Black, with Lavender gene hidden)
Split x Split = 25% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split, 25% Black
Lavender (Self Blue) x Split = 50% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split
Split x Black = 50% Split, 50% Black
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #229
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Good, I'd love to hear an update about the abused chickens when you hear anything. Interesting about the genetics! I don't have a pair of any type except my EE's and I'm told my EE's are a "wild card" basically. Even though my rooster looks blue, he could be carrying or hiding things like white so I'll just have to hatch some in the spring to find out.

Becky, it would be super easy to find out if lighting is causing the poor laying issues with your girls. Put a 60wt or higher light in their coop to come on a few hours before normal sunrise (here it's been about 645am so I set my girl's light to come on at 4am which is when they were up and about during the summer. If after about a week (usually sooner) you don't see a dramatic increase in laying then it's something else not daylight hours. I use a plant light bulb for more natural lighting but it doesn't matter really.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #230
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Good, I'd love to hear an update about the abused chickens when you hear anything. Interesting about the genetics! I don't have a pair of any type except my EE's and I'm told my EE's are a "wild card" basically. Even though my rooster looks blue, he could be carrying or hiding things like white so I'll just have to hatch some in the spring to find out.

Becky, it would be super easy to find out if lighting is causing the poor laying issues with your girls. Put a 60wt or higher light in their coop to come on a few hours before normal sunrise (here it's been about 645am so I set my girl's light to come on at 4am which is when they were up and about during the summer. If after about a week (usually sooner) you don't see a dramatic increase in laying then it's something else not daylight hours. I use a plant light bulb for more natural lighting but it doesn't matter really.
We need to go that, but electricity out there. I hope that an extension cord woukd run a timer and a light.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote