Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #231
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Yes run a light out to the coop, you can bury an extension cord and that will solve any tripping problems.

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #232
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's how we get power out there.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #233
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I have just an out door extension cord out to the coop that we ran from the garage. The timer will work, just put it indoors on the outlet and then you can plug the extension cord into it. Just remember anything that you plug into that extension cord will be on the timer.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #234
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No word. Guess they can't contact me? Hope they will.

Not much new here. I have been getting 8 eggs each day now. I should be getting more, but no idea who's laying or not. It's driveing me batty. Looks like the star is still laying daily, and then I have been getting the long tan speckled ones daily (except yesterday), a buckeye or australorp egg, then rest cochin. They were all starting to lay daily, now it's on and off, a new one laying the long eggs (think it's the rsl), and the cochins are picking it up. I try to catch them, but it's impossible. One cochin was in a box for an hour and when I came out again it was empty?

Their new thing is going out front! They never wandered that far from the coop before now, lol. messin with the pumpkin. Wherever I'm at, there they are. I'm gonna fall and break my neck, lol. The back door even cracks open and it's a mad dash. It's just crazy. They even do it to the kids! beg like pups. I know it's because i started 100% hand feeding and took away the free choice. they free range all day. I take treats out and feed once a day too. I had to start this because of the cochins that were becomeing so obese. I'm still getting doubles from one of them. I don't want anyone eggbound. I feel bad not keeping the food out there. They are just so used to that guy starving them that they just won't stop. So my nice huge feeded is just hanging there. It's a good think, it's made them friendlier. The splash frizzle girl hung with me while I sat and pulled plants. eating all the worms we found. What a good girl, till the kids came trampeling over like mad cows.

Oh shoot, Liz, I forgot to comment on the girls getting into the garden and your mishap. How'd i forget with all that multiquote? Well, about the jeep. We did something simular. Actually more than once. We cleared a fam members back 10 for him. The back is a 35-40 deg slope. Straight up and down with no raod. Ray fell into a rut and the tractor was almost tipped on it's side just titering. Thank the good Lord he is good with that bucket. I was so scared to jump off because I thought the weight loss would send him down to the bottom. And it was a long drop. It didn't and we had to winch it level and pull it out. Do you guys rock climb? I just assumed that what we were talking about?

And bad girls! That lettuce was looking great. And the poor garlic. You did such a good job. Chickens will be chickens when the head hens away. Seriously, sorry that happened. That really stinks. I'd have been so upset. Ray was teasing me the other day about me hollering at the girl something like they would go to the frying pan if they didn't get out of the garden. He said, oh, youll never get rid of soinso, untill it comes to that garden, hehehe. He laughed his butt off at me.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #235
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
No word. Guess they can't contact me? Hope they will.

Not much new here. I have been getting 8 eggs each day now. I should be getting more, but no idea who's laying or not. It's driveing me batty. Looks like the star is still laying daily, and then I have been getting the long tan speckled ones daily (except yesterday), a buckeye or australorp egg, then rest cochin. They were all starting to lay daily, now it's on and off, a new one laying the long eggs (think it's the rsl), and the cochins are picking it up. I try to catch them, but it's impossible. One cochin was in a box for an hour and when I came out again it was empty?

Their new thing is going out front! They never wandered that far from the coop before now, lol. messin with the pumpkin. Wherever I'm at, there they are. I'm gonna fall and break my neck, lol. The back door even cracks open and it's a mad dash. It's just crazy. They even do it to the kids! beg like pups. I know it's because i started 100% hand feeding and took away the free choice. they free range all day. I take treats out and feed once a day too. I had to start this because of the cochins that were becomeing so obese. I'm still getting doubles from one of them. I don't want anyone eggbound. I feel bad not keeping the food out there. They are just so used to that guy starving them that they just won't stop. So my nice huge feeded is just hanging there. It's a good think, it's made them friendlier. The splash frizzle girl hung with me while I sat and pulled plants. eating all the worms we found. What a good girl, till the kids came trampeling over like mad cows.

Oh shoot, Liz, I forgot to comment on the girls getting into the garden and your mishap. How'd i forget with all that multiquote? Well, about the jeep. We did something simular. Actually more than once. We cleared a fam members back 10 for him. The back is a 35-40 deg slope. Straight up and down with no raod. Ray fell into a rut and the tractor was almost tipped on it's side just titering. Thank the good Lord he is good with that bucket. I was so scared to jump off because I thought the weight loss would send him down to the bottom. And it was a long drop. It didn't and we had to winch it level and pull it out. Do you guys rock climb? I just assumed that what we were talking about?

And bad girls! That lettuce was looking great. And the poor garlic. You did such a good job. Chickens will be chickens when the head hens away. Seriously, sorry that happened. That really stinks. I'd have been so upset. Ray was teasing me the other day about me hollering at the girl something like they would go to the frying pan if they didn't get out of the garden. He said, oh, youll never get rid of soinso, untill it comes to that garden, hehehe. He laughed his butt off at me.
Sarah what makes you think they're overweight if you don't mind my asking. Mine really stuff their crop as well, flopping around like crazy when they run the little piggies but they're all normal weight.

Yep, we do some rock crawling. We put rock rails on it but we need a rollcage and a skidplate before we do any crazy stuff. If he'd had a winch he probably could have gotten out ok. We got a hi-lift yesterday and we're looking into the winch accessories.

I know, I love them even if they're little brats now and again. I was reading the garden thread a while ago and just heard a ... ODD noise. So I looked out and lo and behold Rosie my red partridge rock is perched atop the 6 foot fence and the neighbors dogs are whining/baying at her. OMG!!!! I opened the door and started calling them for treats and you'd better believe flubber butt hopped right down for goodies. I shooed them all back inside, they're all getting their wings re clipped today! OY. Trying to give me a heart attack these girls!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #236
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just witnessed a cat grab a baby chick and run off, I sent the dogs after it. They are not back but I expect it escaped with my baby!

I can't wait till the coop and run are all done. I feel like I am risking way too much letting them out and hoping they will stay in the fencing. Ugh.

The worst part is that Dh saw it in the hog building yesterday, he didn't think that maybe that dang cat was the culprit. He said he'd find it and "take care of it". I feel bad, but I just cant lose my chickens to a cat, they are not exactly free. And that is like a free meal for them, horrible jerky cats...I am so sad.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #237
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Do you have anything you can put over the little corral? It's the same set up right? Can you get some bird netting or a tarp? The cat will just keep coming back till they're all gone.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #238
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I had it wall enclosed but took it down temporarily to build the new coop. Did not forsee any problems with leaving it down at the time. I feel like a total failure protecting my babies, I am going to have hubby come home early tonight and we are going to finish the coop tonight. I am so glad that the Farm Fleet will be offering baby chicks the first week in April. I am going to go buy a crapload whether my hubs like it or not. Haha!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #239
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aw mama, you do the best you can and hope for the best. Don't beat yourself up. Just sit out there with the garden hose on jet and blast that SOB cat when it come back! Good luck finishing the coop!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #240
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders...ks/chooks.html

found this chart awesome.

Fodie I am so sorry about your babies!!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote