Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #261
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Congrast Fodie. Should bewithin a week or so.

Liz, I thought the same thing.

Only remidy I know for a mean roo is rehome of freezer. You could keep the kids away, I would understand if you didn't need the hastle though.

Kat, I know right. breaks my heart!

AFM- Chicks are growing fast! was out with the girls, freezing my rump off when I noticed one of the girls had raw bleeding feet tops. I soaked and washed them and inspected them well. The only other one with anything like it is Solomon. One of his feet looks a bit irritated on the top. I'm just gonna monitor it. I put medication on her feet. She seems fine. it can't be mites as I have ivermectined them. They look clean of traces of mites too. Just a little patch of scaley and raw.The cream stuff should help, and the anticeptic soak. I also cleaned the coop extra well. I'm at a loss, really. I seriously wonder if it's because of the constant wet grass exposure for the first time ever and the cold. Like chapped skin. There were also a cpl feathers pulled from her middle toes.

Any thoughts? Their coop stays dry, warm, and clean.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #262
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's a 5 egg kinda day
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #263
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yay becky!!!

Sarah somebody is pecking her feet, probably at bedtime. Or she's doing it to herself. My brahma was picking out her own feathers when she had lice. I read that some of those meds don't work on scaly leg mite, does she have any pushed up or funny looking leg scales?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #264
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was thrilled. Out of 7 hens, 3 of them are almost 2.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #265
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great news Becky! Horray!

She just has a small scaley patch of each foot. No sign of mites. The scales just looked like an old birds. I'm really wondering her age now. I'll google and see if ivermectin covers leg mites. Thanks.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #266
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, it does treat scaly leg mite. I'm just thinking it's weather because Solomon has a little of this going on upon the top of one foot. Not near as bad. But, it's just the 2. They are 2 from the last months batch from that guy. I checked her over fully while I had her and she looked excelemt otherwise. ????????? Are those 2 picking because their feet are wet and cold out in the yard? Both are cochin.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #267
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I guess anything is possible but I don't think cold would do that unless they could have frostbite. Can you post a pic? If they didn't have a lot of foot feathers when you got them and now they are re-growing they could be irritating them, causing them to pick also.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #268
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I've finally given in, I've decided I *need* some turkeys next year. Dh's all for it. Guess we'll be working on a pen. I'm thinking a trio, one tom and 2 hens would be perfect and then I can save some hatching eggs to start over when we butcher them. Oh dear, if I'd only known a few chickens would send me off the deep end. LOL
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #269
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so jellius Liz!!! I want some turkies, here is the tantrum...... Lol. It would take us forever to build a pen and there are other projects before that so guess if we do, it'll be a while. Congrats girl!!!!! Yum, fresh turkey every year.

BAD news ladies. After carefully inspecting every single foot out there, it IS scaly mites. I though it was just the 2 that has the irritated feet. it was bothering me that 2 could have it and there relly was no other explanation but mites. I replaced all bedding in the coop yesterday, bleached it all today, when it dried I dusted everything with DE. I spent the whole day, till 2:15 anyhow, doing one by one. I'm actually balling my eyes out atm from leaning over and fighting chickens. ALL 19! NO WAY am I doing it again! NOOOOO. How long way that, almost 4 hrs. I soaked and washed everyones feet in bleach mix, mild. Then dried and soaked in cooking oil while scrubbing well under every scale and up to the end of the nuckle. Poor babies! It liioked normal looking from a squatting position while hand feeding, but holding them and looking close. ugh. I should wear my stinkin glasses. The feather legged chickens were the worst. Poor Hope, our light brahma. Her scaled hidden by the feathers were all lifted. Grace was the worst! her feet are all covered in feathers, never knew her poor poor poor feed were so darn swollen. I feel like utter crap! How could I not see. And worst, I ivermectined them a month ago! It's the best known cure. I think when I get next months check, I'm gonna head and get adams flea and tick spray with spray with IRG. It's effective for 3 months sprayed on their feet. Then I can make sure we just nip it in the bud once and for all!
Here it is incase anyone would like to see it.
http://www.kmart.com/farnam-companie...1&blockType=G1

Most of the girls had like 2 scales lifting, some 3-4. Some had a pinkey tip sized irritated spot or two between the toes, some no sign. I would strongly suggest everyone to check their chickens feet! The feathered feet wre covered and BAD. Poor hope appears 100% prime condition. I just never immagined. I keep the coop so clean and even disinfect with soapy bleach water in the garden sprayer.

Ugh. What an eye opener. Could much more happen with these girls? First it was gape worms, then cocci, then cocci, then last week Tink was having digested blood bm's. And for the love of it all, how many times have we had bloody stools? Am I missing anything? Oh, now scaly mited. Thanks for the little nudge in that direction Liz. I would have kept researching other things.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #270
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sorry, Sarah.... Poor chickens and poor you!