Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

I'm gonna do a cpl size comps here:
Our light brahma now, same size as others. She's a May baby.

When we first got her, she's trippled in size! I think 5 mts here, perhaps just under? She was the size of a 2 month old.:

Our br's from him. Same age as my 6-7 month olds.

One month later, still TINEY!

Tinker, our Cochin. From the same shipment as the brahma, May. So 5 month? Size of a 7 week old.

One month later, doubled in size!

These are just some of the chickens I traded that idiot for. They were the ones in pens the size of bird cages and some larger but overcrouded. Piled skyhigh, 3++++" of poo. Never touched grass, never stretched their winds, and never tasted anything but muddy/poopy water and crack corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
I also don't do much winterizing, I've read the same thing about the heat light and also that chickens put out enough. Anyway my girls did well last year.

We butchered three roosters a few weeks ago, at their prime. They didn't have much meat and it was tough. Makes u wonder what they do to the ones that end up in the grocery store?

Attachment 121198

So there's my new gardening shed/coop. Ill take more pics then of the inside. It's divided in there, also it's not quite finished, I have to paint the door, fix the top and put the windows in.

Looks AWSOME!

Attachment 121199

Here are some of the girls and of course sparky our buff brahma roo who doesn't crow?!?!?
The br's are georgious! You have a lovely flock!!!
We do wood chips and straw, w/o any odor issues. I def don't clean it twice a day either. I did send the hubs that waterer link!

But now my girls aren't laying in there boxes, I can't even find any eggs!! What the heck!! Just moved them last w/e I did have a few eggs since then so I don't know what's going on. Ill have to make sure they're not hiding them, that does happen sometimes!
Could something be getting them?
Oh btw I'm Chloe, we leave in north eastern pa, we've had our oldest girls almost two years now. And a total of 18 all together, our others are from this march and the summer. Our barred rocks from march are just starting to lay.
Quote:
I've always been worried about our outside water as well. Luckily we put our efm coal furnace in the third bay of our garage/barn and that heats that room. Then my hubs installed a utility sink w hot/cold water so I just fill from there.

Last yr we didn't have a Warner I just gave them fresh water everyday.
That's a great setup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
DH ends up doing most of the processing for us right now, as he worked a chicken farm when he was younger. He is just more efficient. I had zero experience. I don't mind it, I just am very slow.... And I am thrilled we have the chickens, but everyone teases us because they were his thing when we moved out to the farm. And now, they are all my babies.

I'm slow! Just me though. Now give me a rabbit and it's a diff story, haha.

We trek it down. We have a big trough at the barn for rainwater, and if it is not a crazy cold winter, we chop the top of it with an ax and use that water. Otherwise, I fill at the house and bring it to the barn. When FIL ran the farm, he kept horses in the barn and he used the water to the barn all winter long. Well, the first winter we were here, one of the lines burst from freezing, so we shut it down in the late fall now. I suppose if we had more livestock down there, other than chickens, we might figure out a solution.
I like the trough idea. Your fil prob was steadily useing the water for the livestock and it kept it from freezing. Busted lines really stink in the winter. Lord know we have had our share as well.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Holy heck this thread is hot this morning! To answer some questions, Fodie we have been working with the Roo and he does not attack me or dh.. he doesn't BLATANTLY attack the boys, he sides up to them slowly and raises his hackles and then chases them. To which they kick at him and then he tries to flog. I would say it's 1/2 the boys being little brats to him and doing things intentionally to irritate him and 1/2 him being a butthead. So I'd feel completely irresponsible if I culled him based on that. he is a good protector and he's gentle with the girls. He saw three turkey vultures in the neighbor's pines this am and shooed all the girls under our patio set and stood guard.

Sarah I guess the beak trimming is the same? I didn't even think about it, maybe I should have. I just trimmed it the same way I would do my Cockatiel's years ago.

I guess my coop could be described as barn-style. It's a stall with a wide door over most of the front. We did do the 2x4's on side so that they could warm their little feet and so far they really like that. While we do not see much snow we do get frost most every morning from Nov-Dec so the heat lamp is something I'm going to have to think hard about. I wasn't planning on using it all the time, just maybe if we were due for a really cold windy night or a snow.

Here's the coop, new boxes. That's Greta there, she's acting funny this am. This is the most interested she's been in the nest boxes so FX for a egg this am! The white stuff on the wall is Sevin I haven't brushed off btw.

See how the roosts run the entire length of the coop though? It's great, but that means everything under gets pooped on. So if I put straw under there wouldn't it get nasty and stinky in there fast? I generally rake out all the poo daily.

I'm having the same hesitant thoughts about power, our coop isn't far from the garage but that means I have to run a extension cord out the garage window. I hope when we move we can do a permanent set up with power. I'd like to have somewhere to brood chicks outside too.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I also don't do much winterizing, I've read the same thing about the heat light and also that chickens put out enough. Anyway my girls did well last year.

We butchered three roosters a few weeks ago, at their prime. They didn't have much meat and it was tough. Makes u wonder what they do to the ones that end up in the grocery store?

You really don't want to know. I watched a video and now I really want to get some of my own to raise this spring.

Attachment 121198

So there's my new gardening shed/coop. Ill take more pics then of the inside. It's divided in there, also it's not quite finished, I have to paint the door, fix the top and put the windows in.

Attachment 121199

Here are some of the girls and of course sparky our buff brahma roo who doesn't crow?!?!?

We do wood chips and straw, w/o any odor issues. I def don't clean it twice a day either. I did send the hubs that waterer link!

But now my girls aren't laying in there boxes, I can't even find any eggs!! What the heck!! Just moved them last w/e I did have a few eggs since then so I don't know what's going on. Ill have to make sure they're not hiding them, that does happen sometimes!

Oh btw I'm Chloe, we leave in north eastern pa, we've had our oldest girls almost two years now. And a total of 18 all together, our others are from this march and the summer. Our barred rocks from march are just starting to lay.
It all looks great! I'd love to see the inside too, and you reminded me I haven't finished painting mine and I need to do that before winter moisture warps the bead board. Might be the move that caused the girls to stop laying or it could just be winter.. are they moulting?

And since we were all talking waterers, this is the one I want to get if I can figure out how to split my hose bib between the garden and the chickens!

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/auto...ter_bowls.html
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE the boxes! To prevent poo on them, could you slide them to the left? Then use something like cinderblocks to hold the roosts up? If not enough room, could you do 2 on one side and 2 on the other, stacked? If they get on them, you could cut small pieces of plywood or metal roofing and prop it slanted on top. It would be a simple solution to keep them off. To be honest, I've never seen such a spotless coop! Wow. My girls splatter the walls, it's been flooding here for 2 days now so they have drug mud up there too. Yuck. I deff couldn't put hay under them. You have a good system working there with the dry sand. I have got to dig a sort of water diversion around ours. The rain has been sooooooo bad it actually has puddles under the coop and the run is 2" of slick mud!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Lol, thanks. I'm sort of a freak about keeping it clean. Unfortunately, the roosts are screwed down and they aren't going anywhere. The nests are as far left as they can go and I can't put any on the opposite side because that's the stationary corner with the girl's ramp and door and I wouldn't be able to get back there to retrieve eggs. It's hard to tell in the photo but the corner post and door hinge is right there, maybe 8" from the nestbox and dh made a big heavy framed reinforced door that's 4" wide so.. yeah. That's the other problem and the reason that we had the nests up higher before. #1 I didn't want to have to contort myself to collect eggs, and #2 I really didn't want my heavy girls jumping down to get to the nests and risking foot problems. I do like the sand, maybe I'll pick up some soft play sand to fill the coop floor with and a board across the door entrance so it's kinda like a kitty litter box. That might be softer on their feet when they drop down from the roost.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh wow, so sorry about the mud. I wish I wouldve seen those boxes! It would've saved my DH some work!

Yes I have to do some "investigation" but it's just hard, it's miserable here w the rain and my youngest is ill. My DH works 14+ hours. I wish I had some more time to spend.

Our straw gets dirty, I just clean it out every now n then.

Ill have to get some better pics, we have a lonely speckled Sussex, three salmon falvorelles, one white mystery chicken! Also a black/brown mystery chicken, a black jersey giant, three americaunas, our buff brahma roo, three buff orphingtons oh and our four barred rocks
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Chloe, I need to find a "before" pic, I really liked it the way dh set it up. I love seeing everyone's girls! Keep the pics coming! Sarah yours are improving so much, poor sweet things.

ETA: I went out to collect eggs and miss Greta is still on the nest she was climbing into when I took those pics! Panting now, so it should be very soon. I can't wait to see what color she lays!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 girls that take hours. The others hop in and out so darn fast thta I can't tell "who done what", haha!!!!

Chloe- I want some buffs something bad! A cp other breeds too. I'm gonna have to double the coop for that though. My plan really is to keep the main group of momas and the roo. I'd like to raise chicks for meat and perhaps keep a cpl here and there for replacement layers or just to add. I'd also like to sell some chicks. I love the idea of offering a healthy organic fed chick selection. Eggs too. It could really end up where the chickens are purchaseing their own feed and bedding, ect. I know, I have too many plans and dreams for one moma. Especially with such a bad back/neck. I'll be bust hs'ing the boys, need a greenhouse, expanding the garden, and making TONS of changes next year. Plus the basic needs, crossfenceing, fence the main garden from the flock, add on to the run, rabbits/cageing, more trees, and so on and so on. Still havn't finished the boys rooms and built beds. I need an outdoor brooder and chick or chick/moma pen. Yada...........

Well, it's about time to go get Cayden. Won't have to worry about that after thursday! Yipee!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Jesus for answered prayers!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I have NO doubt you could pull that off!

Came back from running errands...she did it! My last "big girl" laid her first pullet egg. Annnddd.... it's green just like I predicted! Shown below Tilly's blue egg:

How ironic that I caught the whole thing in photos. You guys got to be along for the ride. I can't tell the two RIR's eggs apart nor the two Bsl's but the BSL eggs are pinker, so I can tell them apart from the RIR girls. Does that make any sense? When all the baby girls start laying all bets are off though, LOL!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay! Off to upload some pics I wanna share!

And.... I have another double. Have to see ifit's fertile.