Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #291
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maybe one of those grain block things.

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #292
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Oh my girls love heads of cabbage! That's also why I planted so many, lol. They can handle the cold and I just hang one every now and then.

Well animal controll has been called and informed that if they don't handle it then I will. I sure hope they do. They were great on the phone but we will see.

A treat block would be great but they are costly here. I also hand huge brocc plants. They LOVE that! I'm out of them but when mine were dond produceing the small shoots, I kept them and just pulled one at a time to hang for the girls. I tried to plant things I could also feet to the chickens. They do LOVE boiled warm potatoes. I toss a pot in the run and it keeps them busy for hours! A pumpkin would be fun for them too. I'm going to hang an old fish line through the coop. The kind of stringer with the clip hooks. You can hand within reach and clip treats all over it!

Ah, you have to be kidding! Another one! Another one! It's one of the same dang dogs too. There are a cpl yes! My ears are still ringing. I didn't shoot at it so don't panick!!!!! I shot the ground, but that gun is beyond loud. I know better to not wear ear protection. Oh well, it's my girls we're talking about, and Daisy May. What bull crap!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #293
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our garden has been done for weeks here now.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #294
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is cabbage on clearance at any grocers? I know during peak harvest most things are SUPER cheap. Like corn. Could you check online adds for what's advertised at a clearance. I may sound silly here? I bake huge casserole dishes of things for them. It keeps them busy too. It's also a warm treat. Here are some examples:

I also bake cake mix, cookies, plain bread, other things we arn't useing. They love rice too.

Climb to get the cabbage. I also hang brocc here.

Grain/nut bread mixed with yogurt and topped with maters.

Boiled potatoes and boilled pears.

Baked bread with creamed corn.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #295
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

OK Sarah there's no way I can catch up to ya this morning. Love all the pics and stories!

Becky I'm so sorry. It sounds like your RIR's have earned themselves a place on the dinner table and that's exactly what I personally would do with them. Not laying until 30+ weeks and then being cannibalistic to the other hens? Nope, wouldn't keep them. I'd get rid of them and find a couple new hens. For the injured ones, get blu-kote spray, it works great. If there's any back or tail damage hen aprons can cover and protect. That's how I kept our brahma safe from being pecked until she recovered. There's a pattern here: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/liv...n-pattern.html
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #296
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Now I do know once a hen starts pecking to death, she'll even start killing younger ones and eating eggs. It can get bad. That's IF one in particular or heck all 3, actually kept on untill the intent was to kill her. I just watched something where this was happening and the hen started killing the pullets and eating them, partially. You actually may be better off either way replaceing them? I don't know if anyone woulf take them this way unless they could be brought down a cpl notches. This really stinks. I'm so sorry you are going through so much with them. Is ther ea more docile breed you could replace them with. RIR and kinda bossy gals to begin with. that's why they do so well just tossed out to 100% free range. They are flighty, swift/fast, harty, just wild childs. A good breed for free ranging and never worrying about.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #297
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a blue!!!!!!! Finally. 25% chance out of 100 eggs while mateing blk male. I had like no chance!!! Isn't he/she heaven sent! What a little keeper! <3

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #298
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just weighed Grace and it's around 8 lbs. Had a hard time keeping her still.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #299
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That sounds about right Sarah, I read 9-12lbs is average brahma weight. I think cochins are in the same range, your JJ's for sure. Your birds are just going to be big. If the feed bill is getting ahead of you, you might want to consider keeping fewer of those girls.

The baby is too cute btw!!

ETA - have one more baby laying! Norah, one of the speckled sussexes just laid her first egg. It's fairly large for a "first" and is pale brown with almost purple-ish speckles.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #300
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the new layer!

I read that's average too. I couldn't catch lard butt, lol. So, I just weighed Grace. I was concerned with her fighting with the food. She wouldn't allow anyone near the feeder. And the 2 of them are this way, also eating when the other sleep at night.

It's ok now. They free range all day, tons to eat out there. I still supliment by hand feeding hand pellets. Thery are doing very well with the new routine. Even laying much more eggs. We were down to 3 a day, up to 10 now. I also leave the light on all day. That way they can go warm up if needed and lay in warmth. They seem much happier out all day. I let them out from sun up-" down. They actually appear healthier. Color of feather is lustery and they're nice and fed in the face. I'm so happy with how they have all filled out and colored up. the rocks were so grey and muted. Now fat, fluffy, and bright. The legs are looking much better too! Much better! They were going through 3-3.5, sometimes 4 50 lb bags of feed a month. Didn't wanna go graze. Now they are runnin around, playing even. So happy. If overfills my heart with joy to see them so happy.

I just installed the new lamp out there and the new 250 bulb Ray got. Plan on another next month. It's actually warm in there now. I put the low watt one in here for the new chicks in their own box I tossed together. Too small to go with the others. In a cpl day I'll put them with my itty alone one.