Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #301
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
OK Sarah there's no way I can catch up to ya this morning. Love all the pics and stories!

Becky I'm so sorry. It sounds like your RIR's have earned themselves a place on the dinner table and that's exactly what I personally would do with them. Not laying until 30+ weeks and then being cannibalistic to the other hens? Nope, wouldn't keep them. I'd get rid of them and find a couple new hens. For the injured ones, get blu-kote spray, it works great. If there's any back or tail damage hen aprons can cover and protect. That's how I kept our brahma safe from being pecked until she recovered. There's a pattern here: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/liv...n-pattern.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Now I do know once a hen starts pecking to death, she'll even start killing younger ones and eating eggs. It can get bad. That's IF one in particular or heck all 3, actually kept on untill the intent was to kill her. I just watched something where this was happening and the hen started killing the pullets and eating them, partially. You actually may be better off either way replaceing them? I don't know if anyone woulf take them this way unless they could be brought down a cpl notches. This really stinks. I'm so sorry you are going through so much with them. Is ther ea more docile breed you could replace them with. RIR and kinda bossy gals to begin with. that's why they do so well just tossed out to 100% free range. They are flighty, swift/fast, harty, just wild childs. A good breed for free ranging and never worrying about.

That is NOT what I wanted to hear. I have grown attached to them...and there is just no way that we can raise babies now. So we would be without again until next spring. The older ones lay only once every 3-4 days, so it doesn't really seem to be worth keeping them.

Maybe could it be that they just didn't get enough to eat yesterday? I don't know.......sometimes when the kids help out, they don't fill up the feeder......

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #302
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry Becky. Usually this stuff is behavioral and not easily dissuaded. So you have 5 total, correct? If you don't feel that this hen is fitting in yes, I'd give her back. Squabbles are normal, blood letting is not. You need to shake the older girls up. They are defending their territory. And you need to outnumber them. If you can give her back and get 2 or 3 more I'd do that. And I'd put all of them in a temporary pen with unfamiliar feed bowls. This puts everyone in a new environment and then there's nothing to defend. While this is going on, change the coop in any way that you can. Change out all the bedding, move the nest boxes, change the perch locations and move the feeders. After a day or two throw them all back in. And if you do need some of the pinless peepers you can get them here, I highly recommend them. I'd put them on everybody till things calm down. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...epers&_sacat=0

ETA: Did you ever add lighting? Laying as late as yours did and as poorly is just not normal for Rir's, they should be laying machines even through winter since they are so young.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #303
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I'm sorry Becky. Usually this stuff is behavioral and not easily dissuaded. So you have 5 total, correct? If you don't feel that this hen is fitting in yes, I'd give her back. Squabbles are normal, blood letting is not. You need to shake the older girls up. They are defending their territory. And you need to outnumber them. If you can give her back and get 2 or 3 more I'd do that. And I'd put all of them in a temporary pen with unfamiliar feed bowls. This puts everyone in a new environment and then there's nothing to defend. While this is going on, change the coop in any way that you can. Change out all the bedding, move the nest boxes, change the perch locations and move the feeders. After a day or two throw them all back in. And if you do need some of the pinless peepers you can get them here, I highly recommend them. I'd put them on everybody till things calm down. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...epers&_sacat=0

ETA: Did you ever add lighting? Laying as late as yours did and as poorly is just not normal for Rir's, they should be laying machines even through winter since they are so young.
We have 7 total now. The older ones are the ones that are getting picked on-silverlaces. The younger ones are the RIR, and then we have a tiny 23 pullet, but they might chase her a bit-but they never bother her.

Yes we have lighting, but no timer yet. We just extend the daylight time. The RIR are all laying every day now, its the older ones that suck
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #304
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh I'm totally confused then. How old are your wyandottes?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #305
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Oh I'm totally confused then. How old are your wyandottes?
Between 2-3 years maybe? We got them 2 weeks ago from a friend, they were laying every other day, but nothing since Saturday now.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #306
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'm a pretty "new" chicken mama, but from what I understand that's pretty normal for the age. Most chicken farmers will cull the entire flock at 2 years old because they do slow down so drastically. It could be stress (sure sounds like it if they're being picked on that heavily), age, or time of year or a really crappy combination of all three. Be aware though, laying 2-3 eggs a week if that, is pretty common for a older hen. I have decided that when mine get to 3 years, the favorites will retire to a big girls pen and the rest will be culled as soon as I have new layers to replace them. I love them, but one of my primary reasons for having them is food for my family. If I'm not getting food from them, they're about as useful as my two old dogs laying on the kitchen floor beside me.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #307
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Note to self: If you run out of chicken feed, be prepared to be bombarded with chickens at your feet, they will trip you till you give them food. Off to the feed store I go.....
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #308
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Note to self: If you run out of chicken feed, be prepared to be bombarded with chickens at your feet, they will trip you till you give them food. Off to the feed store I go.....
and this is why I throw bread as I run away!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #309
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fodie- When we run out of food and have them cooped,I cook cheap scratch meals. In a previous post I gave a list of some very cheap get you by meals for them. They are also great treats and warm up meals.

Well Momas, I have just horrible news. I got back from the trip to the Dr. a bit ago and found my little Baby Blue on her back gasping. I tried to give her fingertip drops of chick water but I was too late. The other chick is fine. She was just perfect healthwise. Rambunxious curious baby girl. She dies in my hands. Just the way Malory dies. This is only my second itty fav. I have no clue what could have happened. WTH!!!??? I'm so livid. I'm not only upset that she was prob the only blue I will ever get lucky enough to hatch, but in the 1.5 days we had her, I fell head over heals. Why when I have a fav, it ends like this? My guess is she had an internal malformation or something you couldn't see from the outside. I know she was only here for a very short time, and she was "just" a chick, but I really loved that baby. She already had her own sweet persionality. And, it was the other chick I was worried about because of it's umbilical wound. I had to put a piece of egg membrain on it to stop the bleeding. She didn't hatch well. Oh well, like goes on. She was just one we would have kept as a pet for sure. Even if she turned out to be a roo, we would have kept her. I wanted another blue so bad. I though because of the almost 0 % odds we were so blessed to have her. She's under the climbing tree with malory.

So, I may be a bit mia for a little bit while Cayden does his online eval/placement for the new hs he just got in. Also, have to do all this work with him and it's more one on one than we normally do. We did sign up in time today to get him in his first field trip on a local farm tomorrow. Loads of fun stuff planned if we don't freeze our bums off.

Hope everyone is having a better halloween than us. ope we all have a safe fun night. Happy halloween momas.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #310
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sorry Sarah. She was a cute baby. Don't give up hope that it could happen again, after all you got one right? The HS sounds wonderful and have a good time. I hope you meet some mamas you connect with and you all have a great time. Have a great holiday! See ya in November.