Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

This is what I was talking about, both the same age.

First time EVER out of a pen. They had an absolute BLAST!!!! Poor babies!

Free dinner. "It's organic and I helped", lol.

How I keep the mulch in:

Fall is in the air!

Bator set up useing the humidified turned off to read humidity.
This egg is smaller than a ping pong ball, lol.

Just opened it so it's low.

The new double and a side by side to show how HUGE this thing is.

D6

D8

She refused to pose. Could she be a frizzle with the curley saddle and rear feathers. He said he had a splash frizzle and she was the only one. She has lost many feathers.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #32
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

All of it, gorgeous Sarah! Love seeing all the gorgeous photos of chickens in the leaves, pumpkins all around like everyone is showing. I have no idea what your splash girl is but she is sure pretty! oh and Go twin babies GO!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #33
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of prayers there. They are terribly difficult. I'm up for the challenge though. Prob gonna start peeping at night, so no sleep, lol. Well worth it, what a great blessing and beautifull thing it is!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I don't visit these parts often and if I do it is normally just to read. But I have a few questions.

We have 9 hens. 2 are 6.5 mths old (a lakenvelder and a golden sex link) and 3 are 5 mths old this weekend. (2 RIR and 1 buff orpington) We also have a buff orpington rooster that is also 5 mths old (thought he was a hen when we got them at 1 day old, oh well) We also have a RIR, a buff orpington and a barred rock that we bought as laying hens from someone else...which they are not laying, at least not all 3!

Anyway...I don't know who is laying and who is not. We get 0-2 eggs a day. I don't know when the littles should start laying! I KNOW the orington we got from the lady was laying because I saw her lay once (so cool lol) But now there is never an egg in the box she roosts in (she roosts backwards in the box lol)...it is the box we were almost guaranteed to find an egg in from her. So I am pretty sure she is not laying anymore.

Is there any way to tell who is laying and who is not? How old will they be when they start? And 1 roo to 9 hens...would that be ok? I don't want to butcher him but I don't want my girls getting beat up either lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

hm. well your lakenvelder should lay white/off white eggs so that should make guessing hers pretty easy. The rest would be brown I think so the only sure way to know among the rest would be to separate them. But my guess is that your two oldest are laying and the three youngest have not started but will any time now.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #36
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, The eggs we do get are funny colored...they are a really light brown on half and nearly white on the other half. Sometimes there are speckles of darker brown on the light brown side.

We have been getting 0-2 eggs a day for about 3 mths now...since we bought 4 'really good layers' from a lady. We haven't noticed any difference in the eggs except once we got one about the size of a ping pong ball and almost as round lol.

Will the lakenvelder eggs be like a brown/white? Will they be small eggs? She is a pretty small bird compared to the others.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #37
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, well ok what is your set up? Do you let them free range during the day and where/what are your nesting boxes?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Wow, well ok what is your set up? Do you let them free range during the day and where/what are your nesting boxes?
That's what I was going to ask. Are the free ranging? They might be laying elsewhere f they don't believe their nesting boxes are "theirs" yet.

Well, we are getting back to normal without a Roo. Many of his favourites had bare backs, poor hussies, and the feathers are already coming back. AND, we are inching our way up to full production (which is about 2 doz a day for us). Hooray!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Free dinner. "It's organic and I helped", lol.

How proud does he look?? Awesome! Very jealous of your incubator.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #40
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That boy just LOVES poseing with his "free" food! That's what he calls it, haha. He is very proud. His last day of school, well ps, is tom! Horray! Hope to have more time to man him up so to speak. He loves to harvest, but not to week, kwim. Gonna raise 2 good ol farm boys. They both get so proud of daily harvests and eggs. poor Cayden wants a cow or goat so bad. The allergist did say it would most likely do him well. Yipee! I would really enjoy that! So would the little fellers.

Shannon-That tiny egg was prob someones first. Sounds like something could be happening to the eggs. Rir's are supposed to be earlier layers, not mine! 7 mts old now! You have to look well at an egg when you see someone lay it, then you should know when you find another egg that looks just like it. Also, I take pics of the eggs a lot. I have them on the puter and can seriously zoom in. I can now tell the diff with many of the girls. 2 hens layed tan eggs. On the puter I saw one had tanish specks very evenly distributed, and the other had cream. They often will choose a fav box. Now there are a cpl of my girls that have identicle eggs and there is just no diff. Some, when candles, are way more porious than others. My cochins eggs are all porious. Some of the girls way more than others. It's really hard. I'd love to know who's not laying out there for sure!

How long have you had the new hens. I have had them lay right away and some wait a week. I have some now that still havn't laid. Well, perhaps they just now did because I'm getting more cochin eggs than I was. Now there is another issue, I'm not getting any of my tiny tan pullet eggs? Not sure what's up, unless they knew what I was doin with all the roos!

Oh, the hen to roo ratio should be just fine. Just watch to make sure he doesn't start being at hen batterer.