Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #81
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Natasha-Sounds like your enjoying the lo's!

I read today that the length of the sunlight has an impact on molting. Also something about their second fall/late spring?

Found this info to speed up the molting process.
Poly-tonine A Super booster No.1 and some other water soluble tonics.
A big rec for the protein seems to be catfood or chick started with calcium added.

Poly-tonine A Super booster has antibiotics in it, I don't feel ok giving them medication I don't feel they need. Just wanted to let you know, it's not just a supplement but a medication.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/co-op-poly-...-no-1-can.html

We will do the cat food thing though.

Advertisement

vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #82
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, they slip that crap in everything. It become difficult to research every last thing. Dumb companies. I found the name of it on a site that called it a molting booster. That sounds more like a medication to me, not a suppliment. I'm glad you pointed that out! I think I'd choose the catfood too, haha!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #83
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Got the pics uploaded. We put the wood back in in the walk up and under the perches. I loaded it dow with hay, got a light in, and put as much of the thick cardboard up as I had. Have to find more. Also built the waterer warmer.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #84
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

sarah do you still have lots of ventilation in there? I know that I feel like I should go close up every crack in my coop from the human mama standpoint but everything I've read on BYC has advised against it.

Observed mr. cranky pants being a very good boy today, he gently helped Rudy (who was desperately trying to get a twig off her mouth) pull it off and then when I was walking on the treadmill by our big picture window he jumped up on the patio chair right in front of me and began furiously scratching. I thought he was standing off in a dominant fashion but after a while he knocked the top cushion off and under it was a big kissing bug! Extra oats for him tonight. LOL!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #85
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sad day yesterday. Our little twisty beak chick disappeared. I went out to check on the chicks (we let them free range and check like every hour or so) and 10 were hiding out in the coop. I found two more hiding in this little area between the fences and our little brown girl was no where to be found. I just know it was my neighbors stupid cats. They just feed feral cats and let them breed under their trailer. I've been checking on the babies like every 15 minutes today. We can't lock them in b/c of our setup...the hens wouldn't be able to lay their eggs. I am probably going to call animal control on the neighbors. I just noticed a new litter of kittens starting to come out.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #86
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz, we have the stairwell open where they come up the ramp, and then the roof has vent at both ends. I still have to close it up more, but those parts will stay open for good vent. I don't want condensation issues for them.

And yay for Fred!!!!!

Hilary-I'm so sorry sweetie! We have Daisey May in the dog pen insite till her spay date. I can't stand un-neutered or spayed cats being allowe dot breed and become ferral. It's cruelty to me. I'm so very sorry hun.

AFM- Wow! We went to load up the kids in the truck, carseat swaps and such, went to leave and it wouldn't start! The battery clamp broke. Had to rig it with some vice grips to make it to town, then the new one wouldn't fit. MADE it work, off to go get chips. Filled the run this time, under the coop, and replaced the nasty hay with chips as well. Then off to put the temp fence around the front of the garden. Poor Ray smacked the metal post and it hit rockbed, hammer bounced back and busted his lip wide open. Loosened a tooth. So now he has a huge lip all bruised up and gashed too. I feel just awefull.he had worked that night adn was unable to get but only 1 hour of sleep. Then every thing I ask help doing get's him in a pickle.

I took some new pics of the coop to bettter show the setup, just have to get timeand upload. NOW I can let them freerange all day! They went through 1.5 bags of 50 lb feed since we bought it the 4th. What the heck am I to do. The new girls are still in the state of mind food=eat. They wount stop! They are gorgeing. I know theya are still under weight, but at this rate it's just makeing poo. I have that nice huge feeder. Should I just feed then daily or what?! Gahhh! I'll see how the free rangeing goes.

Today is day 21 at 6pm tonight! May start to hear peeps!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #87
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They are pippin! One has got a little hole started, and I can hear the others.

I wentahead and pipped a hole in each end of the double. Both er breaking! There was almost no blood, but I left it at that and wrapped it in a wet washcloth and put it back to let the vessels dry out and give them time. I'll take pics of each part of the process, then I'll upload!

Get this!!!!!....................... One is yellow and one is black! Not really twins, lol. I'm guessing one is more australorp and one more booboo chicken!
Ahhhhh! How exciteing.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #88
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah you must post pictures ASAP, that is so amazing you were able to hatch twins! Awwww.

I had the opportunity to buy and incubator for $30 but it was a 1 1/2 hour drive and hubby didn't want to....he rained on my parade. I would have gone by myself but I had no idea where I was going and I don't like driving in traffic.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #89
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh no, what a deal! I just checked and the yellow is doing fine, the little black one didn't move, but it's too early to tell just yet. I'm amazed they actually made it this far. I'm seriously praying they both make it. The issue is thta the blck one was on the air pocket side, so the hole is bigger and more membrain than I wanted is exposed. Therefore, more vessels. It has bled a little more on the washcloth. I unwraped it to half way so they could dry out some. If it's still alive, this should help those vessels. I'm on pins and needles!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #90
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, meant to add....I like the idea of doing a clutch now because they will be ready to lay by april or may. Spring!