Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Idea for minimalizing clothes?

I just put away all the 3T clothes from DD1. I noticed that there weren't many short-sleeve shirts left. So instead of buying more when DD2 reaches 3T, Ifigure I can just pick out 4T shirts and skip size 3T. It might not work well for pants, but does anyone else buy shirts and jackets in a size too large so they last for 2 sizes instead of just 1 size?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Idea for minimalizing clothes?

We do this with jackets... it seems like DD is always between sizes, and we really don't want to shell out for two sets of outerwear each winter!
I find that I'm sizing up anyway due to CD butt syndrome... we keep some smaller stuff on hand for "leaving the house in a sposie" days It extends the life of some stuff anyway.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do this for winter jackets, usually there is one year they are slightly too big, one year they fit perfectly, and sometimes I can get a bit more time out of them with Land's End's grow a long sleeves.

I also do it for play dresses for DD. The second year they are too short (for my taste) to wear alone or with just tights, but work great over leggings as a tunic top.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It works fine for jackets/coats and short sleeves, but long sleeves are troublesome to keep rolled up at that age. So unless it has elastic or ribbed cuffs, I don't do that with long sleeve shirts and most sweaters.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
It works fine for jackets/coats and short sleeves, but long sleeves are troublesome to keep rolled up at that age. So unless it has elastic or ribbed cuffs, I don't do that with long sleeve shirts and most sweaters.
That's what I'm thinking too. When she hits 3T next fall, she'll have plenty of hand-me-down long sleeves, and seh'll be able to put a 4T short-sleeve over top if she wants. Then by spring she'll have grown into the 4T short-sleeves, saving me the trouble/money/space of revamping the 3T wardrobe that DD1 just destroyed. Might be able to get away with every-other-size from here out with DD1 and DD2 except in some cases.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
smores
Registered Users

I do this with dresses. DD is so skinny - i am sure she will be wearing 6-9 month dresses as spring tunics next spring along with some hand-me-down 18 month dresses. I just bought her 18 month-24 month shirts and pants from the Kohls clearance last week and I think we are set for spring/summer!!
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I always buy coats, jackets, and boots in larger sizes so they will last more than one season. The reason being that they hardly ever get worn out, so I don't want to buy new ones each year.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote