Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Users
Flats Sizing??

So...after a day of using padfolded FSTs and Flip covers, I'm hooked. So trim and no leaks! However, I'd like to invest in some "real" flats. I love my FSTs, but they aren't the softest. So...if I plan to padfold exclusively, what is the best brand/size? My DD is 10mos. and about 22lbs. I like to do a very simple padfold (fold in half, fold in half, fold in thirds). Thanks, mamas!

Southern Mama, Dog Lover, DUKE Fan
ArmyWifeBethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Flats Sizing??

I use regular old bleached Osocozy flats for padfolding. They're awesome.
Julie, wife to Nick, SAHM to sons Rayne (9/27/01) and Lucifer (11/26/10) and non-custodial stepmama to my daughter, Leslie (3/28/96)
nahrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I like Diaper Junction flats. IME the unbleached ones run a little smaller and softer than the bleached ones. I'd probably go with the small flats if using the small setting on the flips; probably the large unbleached flats if using the medium or large setting.

Someone else may have a different opinion on the sizing; it is somewhat a matter of preference on how they fit.

GMD (Green Mountain Diapers) also have very high quality flats; I haven't used them recently though so I can't comment on the sizing.
Happy my soldier is home!
mom to B
and A
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Users

I use Swaddlebees and love them. My LO is 5.5 months and 19 lbs and on the middle rise of all the one size covers and Flips. I'm able to fold them in half, in half again then in thirds and they fit absolutely PERFECT in my Flips. I love Swaddlebees flats because they have the serged edges that make them lay completely flat without any bumps, so the flat when padfolded is PERFECT. They also have new bamboo flats which I have OTW to try out. I don't use anything but Swaddlebees. Now, when my LO grows to the largest rise setting I may have to change the way I fold them, but for now they work perfectly.
Valerie ~ Single Student Mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12) and who recently relapsed into cloth diaper addiction after 8 years clean!
momgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I like diaper rite large unbleached flats. I am waiting on some swaddlebees and I am very excited about them!
Sheagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have Osocozy flats and I like them just fine. I folded a 5 layer bamboo/mf blend into them and pinned them, covered with a wool soaker and they did fine for overnight. I also have Ikea "burp cloths" and they got all quilty and awesome and are great as flat as well. But they're not stretchy like Osocozy.
alala13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Users

For that age I would go with larges just for the extra absorbancy. You could do either though, but if you do smalls you will probably be doubling them up soon. I like GMD the very best, but their also higher than most. DR are okay, but they don't seem like they're going to hold up quite as fantastically as my GMD, and they're not as big. And their edges roll like crazy. Doesn't bother me much but I know it drives some people insane. I also have some osocozy but they aren't as soft, IMO. I would love to try an Ikea flat, since everyone raves about them, but haven't go to. You could also use blanket flats. Whatevery brand you get I would recommend getting the unbleached ones because it always seems like they are softer to me.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote