Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #51
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 1 - Oct 7

I'm trying so hard to NOT turn on the heat. It's getting so cold here but electricity is so expensive. We pay around $400 a month for electricity, so I'm tryin to not use the heat so that we don't owe at the end of the year. It sucks though because my feet are cold!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes

What we do for food is I set aside $600 a month (family of six, I'm pregnant and therefor crave a lot of cheese which drives up the bill, and DH has to eat a LOT due to an extremely fast matabilism). The 10th of each month (first pay day) I make a meal plan for the entire month, plus first nine days of the next month. I add an extra three meals just in case we really don't want what we planned, and what I have found works best is not to plan on xyz on this day, but instead make a list and cross it off as we use it. Much more likely to stick to this! Anyway, when planning the meals I try to stick to stuff we can at least mostly make from what we already have, so I have to buy as little as possible for this. Then everything I need for our meal plan, enough pet food/cat litter to last the month, and anything we buy in bulk and are running low on (pasta, oatmeal, flour, sugar, rice...) gets purchased the 10th. I try to keep this under $300, which typically is not too hard. Then the other $300 I use to buy fresh produce each week as well as shop sales to stock up on things we normally use when they are cheap. Some months we have money left, other months we don't, it all depends on how many sales there are.

My advice for your Sam's Club/restaurant depot trips would be make this a different category on your budget. If you go every two months and typically spend $100, put aside $50 each month for that. That way you aren't using up so much of your grocery budget every time you go. It is up to you if you take this out of your monthly food budget or have this in addition to your food budget.
Thanks, that's great advice. I do meal plan, but while we have our csa I meal plan by the week based on what is in our basket. When its over at the end of October I plan on going back to a monthly plan like you said. We usually spend like $700 on food, this is the first month we are going down to $400...might be a bit ambitious! But I'm up for the challenge. I just want to see if I can make this month not be in the red for once, and actually contribute to our savings.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #53
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
So my car's KBB trade in right now is $2300 in fair condition or $2750 in good condition. We've put over 1k into it in the past year. New tires, new plugs, new belts. The sun roof leaks, the transmission doesn't work properly (would be almost 6k to replace) and the guys at my local shop won't even look at the sunroof to fix the leak. I'm losing it. I just want to cry. I have the money to buy a cheap car OR get the heater fixed. Not both. We've been debt free for like one month and now all this crap is raining down on us... of course, right after I splurged and bought new dishes and pans. Not that $175 would make a HUGE difference in this situation lol.
Have you looked at the going rate for your car on craigslist? Look at cities nearby as wel. I've found in my area that people apparently don't look at or care about KBB. My car is worth about $5k and it sells on craigslist for $10-12k! Maybe you could sell on there, disclosing the problems, and get enough to buy a working car?
tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I spent a little time crying in the bathroom, pulled myself together and started to clean the laundry room out so that a HVAC guy can visit our furnace comfortably. I am praying it is small, inexpensive fix, but our unit is 25 years old.

And I can live without a car for a while if it quits completely. We will have to drop out of homeschool co-op and I will have to learn to drive a temperamental stick shift. But sh!t happens and we need to be warm this winter more than I need to go places 5 days a week. We will save money and hopefully get a tax refund in February. If not, we will save up some more.
Keep on trucking mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja View Post
I'm trying so hard to NOT turn on the heat. It's getting so cold here but electricity is so expensive. We pay around $400 a month for electricity, so I'm tryin to not use the heat so that we don't owe at the end of the year. It sucks though because my feet are cold!
When I lived in Michigan I would heat up my rick sock (tube of fleece sewn together with rice in it, throw it in the microwave) and rest my feet on it with a blanket over to keep the sock hot longer. So much cheaper than turning the heat on!

Right now I'm struggling with keeping the AC off! It's OCTOBER! This is my first fall living in Texas so... my mind is blown. I turned the AC off and opened all the windows yesterday but it got sooo hot. I eventually turned it back on at night for us to sleep. But hopefully doing this during the day will keep our electric bill lower. It got sooo high last month.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #55
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

More experienced DRers, I have a question!

We currently live in an apartment. I can't WAIT to be in our own home but I know we really, really need to clean up a ton of our debt first. I'm just wondering what DR says about buying a first home. Do we have to wait until we're totally debt free (so we'll be about 60 )?

Given our amount of debt it will be a LONG time before we'll be free. DH should be graduating in 2 years and then our income should double but even then.. we have almost 100k in SL debt.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #56
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM

We currently live in an apartment. I can't WAIT to be in our own home but I know we really, really need to clean up a ton of our debt first. I'm just wondering what DR says about buying a first home. Do we have to wait until we're totally debt free (so we'll be about 60 )?

Given our amount of debt it will be a LONG time before we'll be free. DH should be graduating in 2 years and then our income should double but even then.. we have almost 100k in SL debt.
Here is a quote directly from his site. But I feel for ya! It would be really hard to wait until those loans are paid off.
The first thing you should do is make sure you are financially ready to buy a house. In other words, you need to be debt free with a fully funded emergency fund. Be certain you can afford a new home by asking these questions:

Can I make at least a 10% (preferably 20%) down payment? Can I afford a 15-year fixed rate loan? Can I keep the house payments at or below 25% of my monthly take-home pay?

If you answered "yes" to all three questions, then you can afford a house. Otherwise, Dave strongly suggests you wait to buy a home.

You want your new home to be a blessing, not a curse, right? Follow these simple guidelines and you'll keep Murphy and his 3 cousins Broke, Desperate and Stupid from moving in.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's been a few years since I did FPU. Does Dave suggest taking care of your current debts before dealing with charged off debt?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #58
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a feeling DR will be going out the window, for a bit (not forever). We found out we might be moving to Italy in 3 months I plan on purging A TON of things so that there will be less to pack/unpack. We really need to replace things like our couch, our dishes (we have ONE glass dinner plate right now lol), our pots and pans. So I will probably replace those after we move, just donate the old ones before we move. $$$. And we need to visit our parents before we leave (not visiting is out of the question). Obviously, way more $$$, as we need to fly to CA and FL (we might be able to drive to CA, we'll have to look at costs to see which is best, and also how much time DH can get for leave). And going to Europe (specifically Italy) is my lifelong dream, so we'll definitely need a nice vacation savings fund. I can't live in Europe for 2+ years and not travel! I'm pretty sure at least one trip to Germany and 1 to Greece are in order. Minimum. Lol.

I still have plans to SB after we move, but it will be less intense, I'm sure, since I will have a vacation envelope to contribute to now

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #59
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah View Post
It's been a few years since I did FPU. Does Dave suggest taking care of your current debts before dealing with charged off debt?
Yes.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #60
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1583 View Post
Here is a quote directly from his site. But I feel for ya! It would be really hard to wait until those loans are paid off.
The first thing you should do is make sure you are financially ready to buy a house. In other words, you need to be debt free with a fully funded emergency fund. Be certain you can afford a new home by asking these questions:

Can I make at least a 10% (preferably 20%) down payment? Can I afford a 15-year fixed rate loan? Can I keep the house payments at or below 25% of my monthly take-home pay?

If you answered "yes" to all three questions, then you can afford a house. Otherwise, Dave strongly suggests you wait to buy a home.

You want your new home to be a blessing, not a curse, right? Follow these simple guidelines and you'll keep Murphy and his 3 cousins Broke, Desperate and Stupid from moving in.
Exactly what I was going to quote Maybe you could look into renting a home for a bit, so that you have a yard etc. while you clean up your debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah View Post
Yes he does

AFM: I just sent another 350 towards DH's car. Little by little we are getting there
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote