Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
mattress questions

DD need a new bed. She's barely squishing in the toddler bed, her bed changes to a full size. I'm having a hard time talking dh into some kind of organic option and I'm not really sure what my options are.
I don't think dh really has an issue with it being organic, but he knows enough by now to know it usually mean it's more expensive.

So I guess my questions are..what are my options? If there is a happy medium maybe dh would compromise on? Oh and would we be able to find something like this locally or buy online?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What are your concerns that you would like to go organic? If it involves the fireproofing chemicals, some companies, such as Sealy, do not use them (you'll want to confirm that, of course, because things change).
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: mattress questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
What are your concerns that you would like to go organic? If it involves the fireproofing chemicals, some companies, such as Sealy, do not use them (you'll want to confirm that, of course, because things change).
I had to comment on your DDs' names. I originally wanted to name DD3 Rosina and call her Rosie, and we decided on Eliza and call her Ellie! How cute.

As far as mattresses, I did the research a while back and it was disheartening. There's all natural rubber mattresses, which aren't *too* expensive. For me and DH, I did a bunch of research on futon (not the cheap couches but the legitimate Japanese style of sleeping) and most of those are made with cotton batting, and some might have wool on top to hold it together. Wool is a good fireproof material. I do remember finding one mattress that claimed 'made with soy foam' or something, but upon further research I found out that it's not natural or safer at all. And remember, even if you get a cotton or wool mattress or it's made with natural materials, doesn't mean it hasn't been sprayed or coated with other stuff. Do thorough research.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
I'm not even sure. I just know that since it's something she spends 10-12 hours on, I don't like the idea of it being covered in chemicals, ya know.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

If you can sew, and a japanese style futon is an option, they are easy to make and then you know that they arent sprayed with anything. Our whole family sleeps on these and for 4 mattresses, it cost us around 800 in materials. They are definitely firmer than we were used to, but within a week or two we adjusted. And just recently, DH went on a business trip for a week and said the mattress in the hotel really hurt his back. The firm support of a futon is much better for his back now that its adjusted. We wont go back to any other style mattress...i feel so much better knowing exactly what my kids are sleeping on.

As for sealy, im not sure how thats possible. Last i checked, it was illegal to sell matresses that arent fireproof. Even the organic ones are sprayed. Id love to see that info.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247
If you can sew, and a japanese style futon is an option, they are easy to make and then you know that they arent sprayed with anything. Our whole family sleeps on these and for 4 mattresses, it cost us around 800 in materials. They are definitely firmer than we were used to, but within a week or two we adjusted. And just recently, DH went on a business trip for a week and said the mattress in the hotel really hurt his back. The firm support of a futon is much better for his back now that its adjusted. We wont go back to any other style mattress...i feel so much better knowing exactly what my kids are sleeping on.

As for sealy, im not sure how thats possible. Last i checked, it was illegal to sell matresses that arent fireproof. Even the organic ones are sprayed. Id love to see that info.
Our Sealy rep (my parents own a furniture store) said they are not sprayed, they use materials that naturally melt instead of catch fire. That was a few years ago that I talked to him, but here's current info from their website:

http://www.sealy.com/About-Sealy/Env...Footprint.aspx

Last edited by The Fancy Pansy; 10-10-2012 at 08:14 AM.
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Naturepedic is the best brand I could find regarding 100% safe materials but also not sacrificing quality (besides futons--never checked those).
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Ah ok. There are some companies that have fireproof fibers woven into the fabric. So they're not technically sprayed with the traditional fire retardants, but they're also not chemical/carcinogen free. I haven't researched Sealy specifically (they don't disclose their methods, like many other companies, so there's no way to get 100% credible info on it one way or the other), but natural fabric won't melt, so there must be something else going on. I think antimony and boric acid are what is traditionally used for this purpose? But like I said, there's no way to give a credible source on that.

I know that the temperatures and time frame required by the government for fireproof testing exceed the natural fibers' ability to withstand fire. There are some organic mattress companies that require a prescription to purchase because they don't comply with that.

Here is the info from CPSC on their testing:
Quote:
The test method is a full
scale test based on the NIST research
discussed above and in the NPR. The
mattress specimen (a mattress alone or
mattress and foundation set, usually in
a twin size) is exposed to a pair of Tshaped
propane burners and allowed to
burn freely for a period of 30 minutes.
Quote:
12. One of a Kind Exemption ( 1633.13)
The standard allows an exemption for
a one-of-a-kind mattress set if it is
manufactured in response to a
physician’s written prescription or
manufactured in accordance with
comparable medical therapeutic
specifications. This provision is
unchanged from the proposal and is also
present in the 16 CFR 1632 mattress
standard.
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr06/mattsets.pdf

They use propane gas, so here is the temperature info on that sort of flame:

Quote:
Ignition Temperature
920-1029F
Optimum Flame Temperature
3500F
From what I've read, it seems they use the optimum flame temp here because most of the info cites apprx. 2000 degrees celsius, which is about the same, although I didn't see any temperatures listed in my skimming of the CPSC info.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

Ignition temperature of the natural materials used in mattresses (apprx, in Fahrenheit):
Wool: 1100
Cotton: 410

I'm definitely comfortable with wool for my family, but you can see that it won't hold up to a temperature of 3500 for 30 minutes. As far as I'm aware, it's the most fire resistant natural fiber, so if that true, anything meeting these safety requirements won't be a natural/proven safe fiber. If there's a different fiber I haven't heard of though, please correct me....I'd love to know of another option so I don't have to do all that sewing again when they grow into twins! But right now, that's the option I feel safest with. (given that the prescription mattresses are incredibly expensive)

Last edited by harmoni247; 10-10-2012 at 10:50 AM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They primarily use synthetic materials, which do melt.