Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Want to use cloth pads but need help. Anyone?

Here's our mama cloth testimonial thread ... it's long but lots of good information.

Advertisement

GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Thanks ladies for all the input!

I'll definitely check out that testimonial!

Is there anything else anyone thinks I should know?
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

That they're awesome!!! Much cleaner, healthier, and more comfortable than throwaways and many women, including me, experience lighter, shorter, and less painful flow because your body is not having to fight chemicals.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV
Thanks ladies for all the input!

I'll definitely check out that testimonial!

Is there anything else anyone thinks I should know?
Hi i have not tried cloth pads but have been using a lunette cup for about 4 months. Really like it! Research it and see if its something for you.
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

A couple favorite brands of pads I love are Treehugger minky pads and just fussy bamboo velour pads with wool backing. Both of these companies have great fitting panty liners too It seems like a huge jump to go from disposables to cloth.... Dont worry though, its a lot better and more comfortable.

You asked about cleaning: After using a pad its best to rinse it out in the sink right when you are done with it. While rinsing, ring out the pad and make sure you get everything off/out of it that you can. I then put the pad in a hanging medium wetbag. Don't shut the wetbag though- these wet things need air circulation! Another option for storing used pads is in the diaper pail if you use one for diapers anyway. I just wash all pads in the washer on hot. I use tide sport usually or ecos. I do 2 washes so they get very clean. In the dryer they must be on low or medium low heat. Even the wool backed pads can be washed and dried as normal cotton- they are just fine so dont worry. All pads can easily be air dried as well.

Hope this helps! I store clean pads in a plastic container with a lid on it under the sink. The container is roughly the size of a shoebox and holds pads sizes 5 and 1/2 inches in length to 12 inches in length.... I also have a ladycup as well that I store in there.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

Also... Just something to ponder. I tried about 3 or 4 different brands of cloth pads at the beginning and was able to pinpoint exactly the brands I wanted more of. For me, Treehugger and Just Fussy were the best that I tried. That being said.... You could buy one pad from a few places and see what materials you like best. If you do not want stains tgrn I would suggest minky topped pads by Treehugger- they are awesome and so soft too!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisjoy View Post
Hi i have not tried cloth pads but have been using a lunette cup for about 4 months. Really like it! Research it and see if its something for you.
Hmm maybe I will look into that as well. I have heard others mention it before, it would be something to consider. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialGoodz View Post
A couple favorite brands of pads I love are Treehugger minky pads and just fussy bamboo velour pads with wool backing. Both of these companies have great fitting panty liners too It seems like a huge jump to go from disposables to cloth.... Dont worry though, its a lot better and more comfortable.

You asked about cleaning: After using a pad its best to rinse it out in the sink right when you are done with it. While rinsing, ring out the pad and make sure you get everything off/out of it that you can. I then put the pad in a hanging medium wetbag. Don't shut the wetbag though- these wet things need air circulation! Another option for storing used pads is in the diaper pail if you use one for diapers anyway. I just wash all pads in the washer on hot. I use tide sport usually or ecos. I do 2 washes so they get very clean. In the dryer they must be on low or medium low heat. Even the wool backed pads can be washed and dried as normal cotton- they are just fine so dont worry. All pads can easily be air dried as well.

Hope this helps! I store clean pads in a plastic container with a lid on it under the sink. The container is roughly the size of a shoebox and holds pads sizes 5 and 1/2 inches in length to 12 inches in length.... I also have a ladycup as well that I store in there.
Yes that helps a lot! I could use all the info. I can get. I'll definitely look into some of these brands, I may do what you said and test a few brands out first to see which I like best, before I make a final decision. Thanks!!
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

there are also many different fabrics to consider
I personally will only use minky or bamboo velour because they are so incredibly soft and make me feel pampered. I also love that minky is stain resistant.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
there are also many different fabrics to consider
I personally will only use minky or bamboo velour because they are so incredibly soft and make me feel pampered. I also love that minky is stain resistant.
I agree about the velour and feeling pampered which is great when you're feeling less than great. I have obv topped ones from Homestead Emporium. They're expensive (got them back when I had more money), but well made. I also had a friend make me some cotton velour liners. Both are backed w/ the same Malden Mills fleece. I have one minky one and it's stained. I don't rinse mine at all and just put the dirty ones in a small swing top trash can (doesn't close all the way, so there's some air flow). Since I hate stains, I custom ordered mine in marbled, dark maroonish-brown obv. This way, you honestly don't see stains at all. I wash mine w/ country save detergent but might switch to a cheaper option eventually. Since they were expensive and I love them, I hang them to dry most of the time but will dry them on low if I have people coming over and don't want them to see that I use cloth pads. I hang them on these and they work great. When I'm out and about, I have double-sided wet bags that I use. Got one from Happy Tushies and another from a DS wahm. This is all an investment, but I still use all of this regularly (including when I work out of the home and stay at a relative's house for a week) and have for the past 4 years or so. Good luck and enjoy. I only regret not trying them sooner. One more thing, I highly recommend wrap around wings that close w/ plastic snaps. I promise this is the last thing, pay attention to the length of the pads you're ordering. I luckily got mine through a custom order because the regulars were huge compared to what I need and am comfortable with.
Slave to my

Last edited by TypeAMom; 10-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Ordering some dark colored pads and pads with snap-on wings is a very good suggestion. I hate stains too, one of the reasons I always wear black panties at that time of the month. I will definitely look into the minky and bamboo velour, its been mentioned a lot, so it must be a pretty good kind of fabric. I'm getting excited, these cloth pads just sound sooo much more comfortable than disposables. I'm so tired of having to adjust myself, and feel like I'm wearing a diaper