Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How did you know?

This might have been asked before and if so I apologize

How did you KNOW you wanted/ were meant to adopt? Especially if you had bio and could have more bio children? In 2013 we want to add to our family and I think I want to TTC again but Ive always had adoption in the back of my mind as well. DH also seems open to it, though I am not sure how serious he takes me. I have thought often about adoption from the Philippines bc DH is 1/2 filipino. I then found an agency within an hour of us that has been working with the Philippines for 14 years. I was very surprised to find an agency so close when the list of agencies I found on Icab was pretty short. So what I thought about but didnt really think it could ever realistically happen, maybe could...

Advertisement

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill
This might have been asked before and if so I apologize

How did you KNOW you wanted/ were meant to adopt? Especially if you had bio and could have more bio children? In 2013 we want to add to our family and I think I want to TTC again but Ive always had adoption in the back of my mind as well. DH also seems open to it, though I am not sure how serious he takes me. I have thought often about adoption from the Philippines bc DH is 1/2 filipino. I then found an agency within an hour of us that has been working with the Philippines for 14 years. I was very surprised to find an agency so close when the list of agencies I found on Icab was pretty short. So what I thought about but didnt really think it could ever realistically happen, maybe could...

For me i never grew up knowing i wanted to adopt...i didnt know anyone who was adopted and no one in my family adopted. I grew up knowing i wanted to be a mom and i just assumed id get pg and have 3 bio kids. Well parenthood came to the us in a different way then i grew up thinking it would..after 3 years of infertility and 2 m/c...we decided it didnt matter to us if the child was bio or not..we just wanted to be parents...and that is how we i guess u can say knew we wanted to adopt...and as my siggy says..i thank god for our infertility everyday as we have the two most amazing kids that i couldnt love any more! I have no desire to have a bio child infact we are making it a sure thing we never do get pg..poor dh goes in soon lol.

Best of luck!

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!

Last edited by galesville1980; 10-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you know?

I grew up with my parents fostering. I loved it (mostly) so when our life circumstances led us this way, fostering didn't seem foreign. Also, my sister is adopted and I love her dearly and can't imagine life without her. Seems natural to add my daughter this way. There was a time when I didn't think this was the path I wanted, but God has made it clear this is the path.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies View Post
I grew up with my parents fostering. I loved it (mostly) so when our life circumstances led us this way, fostering didn't seem foreign. Also, my sister is adopted and I love her dearly and can't imagine life without her. Seems natural to add my daughter this way. There was a time when I didn't think this was the path I wanted, but God has made it clear this is the path.
LOL...pretty much ditto for me, actually I literally could have wrote this myself.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
MiriRose
Registered Users

Hi there, I haven't adopted myself, but I know others that have. It is a big decision, but it's a wonderful opportunity to make a difference in a child's life. It is too neat that there is an agency close to you that specializes in adoptions from the Philippines! There is a website that you might find helpful to check out as you consider possibly moving forward ... it's called I Care About Orphans, and is a ministry of Focus on the Family (where I work). Hope this helps! I've said a prayer for you and your husband. God bless you.
MiriRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always wanted to. My mom babysat a little girl who was adopted, and I was a nanny for two adopted children in college. DH lived with a family that fostered kids (though he wasn't fostered, but was living there while training for figure skating), so he was sadly only familiar with the ugly side of fostering. It took a long time to get him to come around!

My oldest is bio, and my youngest is bio, and we adopted in the middle (though the adoption was finalized after DD2 was born).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
NSB
Registered Users
seller

We adopted because my pregnancies were SOOOO horrible, I just could bear to go through it again. Not fair to me or the other members in my family that would be "without" me for 9 months. I was definitely not done at 2 kids, so my only choices were surrogate or adoption. Money wise, adoption seemed like more of a sure bet, so we went that route. However, I would have never adopted if I didn't "have" to. It complicates your family. Don't get me wrong, I would do it over again a million times over for my DS. I love him more fiercely than I have ever loved another (I guess *differently* would be more politically correct since I have a DH and 2 bio DDs, but I love him SOOOOOOO much! LOL) But I still need to deal with the fact that he had another before me (even though we have had him since birth) and we have an open adoption with visits once-twice per year, so I can't even stick my head in the sand and pretend that they don't exist.
Think long and hard before you do it "just because" and make sure your DH is on board 100%, and not just doing it for *you.*
Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSB View Post
It complicates your family. )
I dont have any bio kids so maybe you mean complicates your family cause you have bio kids...for that I can not agree or disagree.
But if it is just adoption in general..we do not find it complicated at all for us...our open adoption is as perfect as you can get...we wouldnt want it any other way!

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

I'm not sure. I think it is a an on-going thought in the back of your mind that one day either manifests its-self or not. I'm sort of right where you are mama!

Hugs, and hope that you find what you are looking for!

xoxo,
Samantha
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
crunch!910
Registered Users

It has been something on my mind since pre-teen. I have watched "Adoption Stories" on TV, and it reduces me to happy tears. I hold so much respect and admiration for those that foster or adopt from the foster care system. My sister had completed foster parent training, and again, it tugs so hard on my heart strings. I hold so much admiration for her. I hope one day I can be half the person she is and give hope and love to a c hild in need.

If my second child had been a VBAC, we might be leaving the door open for more bios. Might have. But, it was a failed VBAC. I do not intend to have a 3rd csection and another attempt for VBAC would be a joke. Plus, I hate being pregnant. I'm sick as a dog. I have no desire to EVER be pregnant again. I think that is the push needed for me to make the final decision to have no more bios. And I feel quite complete when I look at our little family of four. I love being the mother of two boys. Couldn't even imagine adding a third child, especially a baby, anytime soon. Plus, right now if a surprise happened, it'd be catastrophic for our family. I don't do hormonal bc, dh hates condoms, and I don't feel that NFP/FAM is reliable enough to permanently prevent babies for the rest of our lives, so snip snip it is! DH has an appointment this Thursday to get a physical, then from there he's being referred to a urologist and scheduling his vasectomy.
Still, the idea of fostering, and possibly fostering to adopt, tugs on my heart strings. Whenever we are financially stable, own our home, and the boys are old enough that I feel comfortable to dive into foster parenting, I so hope my husband feels called to join me in that journey.