Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #111
Chiromom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fitted Sew-A-Long

I'd love to join in too. I made my first fitted from a receiving blanket the other day and have another 8 I cut out. I'm using some birdseye prefolds I had for the soakers. I hope that they will do the trick, but if not I did make them lay in soakers. So I could always make some with better materials later. I am using the free DDU newborn pattern. I just finished sewing them tonight. Now I just need to get the elastic in, turn and topstitch, and finish with the outer snaps. What pattern do you suggest that has sized front snap diapers, free or bought? Once I get the hang of these I want to make some of each size for the different knits I bought. Also for a fleece soaker, what pattern would you suggest?

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #112
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolalex View Post
Has anyone used this pattern? Thoughts on fit, etc.?
I have. It's low rise and it is a hip snap not a side snap. I find hip snap nappies not as poofy as side snaps. I made an AIO and it has fitted both my girls very well. I actually love all of the Little Comet Tails patterns. She has a few nappy patterns.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #113
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I need to join in need to make some more newbie fitteds but it is still super early and I actually have none in nappies right now.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #114
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
It's low rise and it is a hip snap not a side snap.
I'm confused. What's the difference between hip and side snapping? I've never made any diapers with snaps.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #115
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Been busy the last couple days so I wasn't able to accomplish much. Tonight, I did work on two diapers that needed the crossover tab velcro added (must've forgotten it when I sewed them originally). I also cut out the outer fabric for one diaper.

Hopefully I can get more done soon! Babygirl makes it challenging to sew when she's on the boob, lol, not even counting the toddler keeping me busy throughout the day. Any other mamas have that issue?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #116
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiromom2 View Post
I'd love to join in too. I made my first fitted from a receiving blanket the other day and have another 8 I cut out. I'm using some birdseye prefolds I had for the soakers. I hope that they will do the trick, but if not I did make them lay in soakers. So I could always make some with better materials later. I am using the free DDU newborn pattern. I just finished sewing them tonight. Now I just need to get the elastic in, turn and topstitch, and finish with the outer snaps. What pattern do you suggest that has sized front snap diapers, free or bought? Once I get the hang of these I want to make some of each size for the different knits I bought. Also for a fleece soaker, what pattern would you suggest?
I like the Katrina Soaker pattern. She has patterns for all the sizes and even longies/shorties. The same pattern works on wool as well in case you find some cute sweaters you want to upcycle.

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #117
Chiromom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
I like the Katrina Soaker pattern. She has patterns for all the sizes and even longies/shorties. The same pattern works on wool as well in case you find some cute sweaters you want to upcycle.

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #118
djackson123
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm taking a break from fitteds until I get in some OBF I am ordering. Once that gets here and the fabric is prepped I'll start hauling through again lol. In the mean time I've ordered some fabric to make a quilt for the newbie and I'll work on finishing a blanket for my little girl. But I'll be checking in!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #119
sewmany
Registered Users
seller

I bought some knit fabric today for the 1st time. Do I need to preshrunk it like cotton?

Also j want to make a few newborn fitteds. What's your fab nb pattern?
http://www.facebook.com/thelittlegreenbird
sewmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #120
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmany
I bought some knit fabric today for the 1st time. Do I need to preshrunk it like cotton?

Also j want to make a few newborn fitteds. What's your fab nb pattern?
Always wash and dry your fabric how you would your finished product *before* sewing! Learned this the hard way...