Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #81
BonitaJean
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Fitted Sew-A-Long

I hope I'm not intruding, but this looked like a good place to ask for some advice on making fitteds. I've never made any, and need to get some done for our new LO due in January. What materials does everyone use to make them? I was thinking of flannel on the outside, microfleece inside, and then a soaker either sewn in completely, or maybe sewn at one end, and stuffed inside through a pocket hole, so it can pull out to dry faster, without coming unattached. Also what do you use for covers? I'm making my older boy PUL covers right now, but had a few people suggest polar fleece for the baby, would that really not leak?

Advertisement

BonitaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #82
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, girls. I made 4 today. Here are 2 OTB:

Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #83
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
Okay, tonight when Austen sleeps I'm going to cut diapers. The following night I'll put on snaps, the next night sew and do elastic and topstitched, then the next work on soakers.
If you don't mind, I'm gonna steal your plan... I don't know how many I'm gonna be able to get done tonight though. Maybe I'll set a goal of 5. If I get done more, great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
This is my plan of action since baby is still nursing pretty frequently and clingy during the day.
I feel ya on that! My little is not a fan of being put down now that the batteries in the swing are almost dead... Was gonna try to cut some fabric with her in the moby after the toddler was in bed. Didn't get it done,unfortunately.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #84
BonitaJean
Registered Users

My Mood:

These are soooo adorable! Do you mind my asking what kind of materials you use? I am needing to make some fitteds for new LO due in Jan. and don't know where to start.
BonitaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #85
10Newtons
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone use sherpa anymore? I have a couple yards that I might like to use....pros? cons?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #86
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut*
Thanks, girls. I made 4 today. Here are 2 OTB:
I can't read the tag on the butt from my phone! Does it say pappy or poopy? Lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #87
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaJean
I hope I'm not intruding, but this looked like a good place to ask for some advice on making fitteds. I've never made any, and need to get some done for our new LO due in January. What materials does everyone use to make them? I was thinking of flannel on the outside, microfleece inside, and then a soaker either sewn in completely, or maybe sewn at one end, and stuffed inside through a pocket hole, so it can pull out to dry faster, without coming unattached. Also what do you use for covers? I'm making my older boy PUL covers right now, but had a few people suggest polar fleece for the baby, would that really not leak?
Your ideas sound pretty good to me! I'm no expert though. Mine are made of whatever I can get my hands on, lol. I use flannel, cotton jersey, terry, microsuede, etc. No pul yet, so I can't speak for that.

As for covers, I've heard that polar fleece is water resistant, not waterproof. You can get pressure leaks or whatever you call them. I guess it depends on how you want to use them?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #88
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Poppy. Pappy is better than poopy, I suppose.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #89
mommy22IN
Registered Users
seller
seller

As for how I will fasen mine. I will be making them snapless (I have pins, snappi, and boingos for my prefolds) I also plan on making a few with velcro so I can send them to daycare too. Eventually I might get a snap press and make some trainers that snap for when when we potty train.

I really need to find time to work on my fitted, but with working full time during the week I have no energy. Tomorrow I have off, my kids are going to daycare so I clean the master bedroom... where my sewing area is too. Hopefully after that I will find more time to sew and be able to complete this fitted.
mommy22IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #90
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut*
Poppy. Pappy is better than poopy, I suppose.
Lol!