Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
wood burning stove for cooking and heating

does anyone here cook on a wood burning stove?where did you buy it at? does it work well??

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wood burning stove for cooking and heating

We got ours at coop. LOVE it. When we moved it came right along. It's hooked up in our out building/barn. We spend a lot of time out there and enjoy taking taters and porkchops down there to enjoy cooking together. Been doing this for a while and it's become tradition. I have quite a few cast iron skillits and pots we prefur. I also boil the chicken water on it and use it for heat out there when it's cold se we have a place to run in and warm up. I don't think I could ask for anything more, it's very simple and inexpensive.
Some pics of the original setup. Not close to the walls because it gets so stinkin hot.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

We have ours right in our main room - I love it... But it is much bigger then the one pictured above. Check craigslist - sometimes you can find a decent one on there. Like a real oven/stove one - not just a fireplace.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have one and I'm hoping to try it out if we lose power with this storm. We got it for heating but opted to get one that can be cooked on.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We decided on an inside woodstove when we just built our house. We've used it a few times and LOVE it. It's a Yotul Rangely...it was a splurge for us but dh is a firefighter and was careful to get good stuff (we had a house totally burn down a year or 2 ago because he used Menards double wall tubing and the interior wall failed), also, it's super heavy and dh didn't want to change it out later. We also got the Wintergrill, and have cooked baked potatoes on it so far. We just cooked chili on the top part of it today, and made beef jerky a couple of weeks ago. So Good!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
We decided on an inside woodstove when we just built our house. We've used it a few times and LOVE it. It's a Yotul Rangely...it was a splurge for us but dh is a firefighter and was careful to get good stuff (we had a house totally burn down a year or 2 ago because he used Menards double wall tubing and the interior wall failed), also, it's super heavy and dh didn't want to change it out later. We also got the Wintergrill, and have cooked baked potatoes on it so far. We just cooked chili on the top part of it today, and made beef jerky a couple of weeks ago. So Good!
You menards double wall tubing failed.... oh no... I'm pretty sure that is what we have in our house! We just moved in but all the flooring and other updated stuff was from menards. I do like your stove though - every nice!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Lehman's has some gorgeous wood stoves, both for heating, and for dual heating/cooking. Estate sales or farm auctions are also good places to check.

We never really cooked anything on our woodstove when we had one. I did potato soup on it a couple times and it was really good. That slow cooking all day made everything go to mush on its own, which was wonderful. I had to keep adding water to it throughout the day, though, as the water would evaporate quicker than on the regular gas stove. But, our woodstove was not meant for cooking on. If I had had a grill thingy for the pot to sit on, it would've worked better, as the pot wouldn't have been right on the stove.

My in-laws have the cookstove out of my FIL's grandma's house (I think it was his grandma), which is impressive, I think, as my FIL is almost 70. They don't use it at the moment, though.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used one when we lived in the Amish house 2 years ago...We cooked on it, baked in it, and it was amazing! Definitely had to work out some kinks, but TOTALLY doable!

Ours was from Lehmans...but when we moved here to our cousins farm, he has 3 of them that are older models, that he just picked up at different flea markets/word of mouth here in the country

The key to it, is always keeping something smoldering...that way, when its early in the mornign and you need coffee perc'd right quick, you can just toss a couple logs in, and the stove will fire right up! This is also how we kept the house heated at night...stocked it packed full, and then "locked it down", so the wood just smoldered all night long...by the morning, there were still a couple smoldering logs, and when we opened the vents and added more logs, it would fire right up! LOVED IT!
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh! And we did have a long/narrow wood stove in the house before that one...it had a flat top, so I would slow-cook soups and stews on there...I think I did eggs once, but it just took awhile. If you were gonna go that route, TRUST ME...get some cast iron pans and dutch ovens! They would hold the heat and distribute it evenly
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I double the cast iron! That's all we use on it. LOVE dinner night on the wood stove.

My big dream is to have one of those really old gas stoves/ovens that resimble the wood. It'd be my taste yet function would be much easier. I have enough room in the kitchen for one. Oh I can dream.

We have plans for a super nice one with the stone/tile sides and a window front, with the cook top. It will take us a while to save up for it though. It's a big investment. But our power bill here goes from $130-$350 in the winter. Huge jump hun? Sad. Hour home isn't well insulated. It's set up though where all the rooms open up to the lr. So we would only have to use it for heat by leaveing the br doors open. It would really pay for it's self! Plus I prefur to cook on it when time allows. The food is so much better. Especially foods that need a crunchy outer. Like stir fried veggies. havn't gotten the hang of bakeing in our little double top. It's plenty big enoughto do the job we need though.

When we spend the day outside in fall/winter, like yesterday, it's awsome to run in and warm up.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote