Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread

thanks ladies. moving cause dh got a new job that is unionized and per regulations he has to live within a certain distance of headquarters. so, that's pretty much the reason.

i just finished my kitchen reno and i really really love it now and i don't wanna move!! it's not fair at all

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
Hey real quick...have any of you made pumpkin pickles?? I had them once when a co worker brought them to work and had me try one. DELICIOUS!! If anyone has a good recipe I would love it if you are willing to share.
oo! Never made them but I'm sure they are good. I found this website. You have to scroll down to see the rest for some reason.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/i...r-pumpkin.html
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Good morning Mamas!

Today I need to drop off cinnamon playdough and pumpkin streusel rolls i baked to help raise money for our favorite children's hospital.
Then i really need to finish sorting fall clothes and putting away summer keeps (with 4 kids to do it for, it is such a process! I do not know how my mother did it).
After i clean the house, mail out the homeschool scholastic book club catalogs to other mamas, and do a fall crafy with the kids, a couple ladies are coming to pick up milk and then i told the boys we could walk down and see Rosie's new calf and name her.
Then Papa said one of them can help him at the elevator (with 3 boys that care, this is always a hard decision as to who will be his helper today).

Amish meatloaf (similar to shepherd's pie) for supper tonight. Still haven't been to the grocery for a long time, but the apple orchard also sells local veggies and so i can hold off another week 's store trip if i can live wothout my froo-froo creamer (which ran put today)... we shall see...
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eh...not into much today. It's still soaked outside and muggy. Ds and I tidied up the house then went to the thrift shop to drop off some donations and things this morning. Of course I decided to take a walk around and came out with a nice long dark blue shirt with small white dots (It's looks so dainty...and vintage), a jean skirt, and a pair of pjs for Ds with larry the cucumber (He LOVES veggie tales ) on them. $10 is all I spent. Dh thinks the buttons on the blue skirt are too big and makes it look a little too vintage so I'm going to take them off and put new buttons on it. Then we came home, ate lunch, tidied Ds's room and he went down for a nap and I've been vegging out for the last hour. grr.

This afternoon I am going through piles of junk (papers piled on the bookshelf, desk and table). Shouldn't take long at all. I'm not feeling very sentimental about junk today. Then I need to fold 2 loads of laundry from yesterday and toss in a load to decrease my list for tomorrow. Need to make some wipe solution. We were using cloth with just water and some disposables here and there. I think they are the source for Ds's diaper rash all the time now that I've gone through so many different types of diapers trying to find one that he doesn't get rashy from. And all along I'm almost sure it was from the chemicals in the wipes. Then after that's done, HOPEFULLY I can work on sewing if time allows before Ds wakes up. I have a pile of 4-5 shirts to be taken in, 2 dresses to be taken in, 1 dress to be mended, a shirt to be hemmed, a few pairs of jeans/pants needing mended, some diapers that need fixed, a few things that need upcycled, and christmas projects to work on and now new buttons need added to that skirt. These will get worked on over the next few weeks as time allows.

One of these next days while Ds naps and once it's dry enought I'm getting the tiller out and tilling up the garden...It seems everything is done and I have big plans for this spring!! Dh gave me reins on what we do with our garden this coming year since this year he didn't listen to me at all and planted too much or too little of what we needed in some areas.

We are going to visit gram and pappy tonight for dinner so I don't have to cook. I love that they do this for us once a week.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

MSS-Did you make pumpkin pickles yet? Thoughts on them?

Chloecat-house news? I cant imagine having to move with children!

Dh is done harvesting this year. He washed and put away the corn picker and "alligator" (elevator) as my 2 yr old calls it.

I injured a chicken while moving the pen and so we had to butcher it early. It was my first time butchering a chicken and it went well. My dh would much rather pay someone else 2.25 to do it for us though! He will butcher a whole cow, but thinks a chicken is a pain in the butt. Haha. Next spring i will be raising Freedom Rangers. I have heard they are much hardier and the cost is about the same because they eat less, but take more time to reach butchering weight.

Yesterday the kids and i picked our last bag of apples for the year. Apple butter is in the crockpot and i have plans of apple pies (anyone know how they freeze?), apple baked oatmeal, and lots of lunches.

Better go wake up dh so he can go milk the cows, then i need to take care of chickens, feed children (loce having muffins in the freezer, readyto pull out). Moving some furniture today, making freezer meals, and keeping the children alive... gotta love being a woman. I am hoping to finish 2 scalloped,fabric banners i saw from a blog. I have vintagey fabric all cut and ready to sew up. Fun decorations for baby girl's birthday coming up. The other is for my sil's baby, to put around her bassinet in the hospital when she is born.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 10-06-2012 at 06:18 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just got home from a trip to phoenix arizona to see my mom for her surpise 50th birthday. went well, but now i have just 4 days till my house is going to be shown!! yikes!!

i did the last of the "projects" this morning and from here on out it will just be daily cleaning that needs done.

i was talking to my father on the phone telling him how i need to get lots of cleaning done this week and he of course has to point out the obvious.... "you know you have to keep your house clean all the time now. it's not just this one time you have to clean" SERIOUSLY DAD!! what kind of a moron do you think i am and how dirty do you really think my house is!!! he drives me crazy sometimes and it's a good thing i didn't hang up on him! lol

so, per dads' rule i'll be cleaning like fly lady for the rest of my life!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dani-Thank you for the recipe. It looks exactly like what I was looking for.

raisingcropsandbabies-I haven't made them yet but I'll post how they turned out as soon as I do. I might run to town tomorrow to pick up the few items I need.

We drove by another acreage last night. I wasn't even interested enough to set up an official showing. The price of ground has skyrocket here and sometimes it so discouraging. But we'll keep looking. I guess it means the right place just hasn't come along yet.

I still haven't gotten outside to get the rest of the tomoato plants pulled yet and I really need to do that today. They look so sad.

I did make it to Hancock Fabrics on Sunday and got flannel to make all of the kids pj's for Christmas. Now I just need to get started on them.

Can anyone tell me what you do with your strawberries at the end of the year? I just have a few plants in a large planter. I didn't want to put them in the ground knowing we would be moving, but I did want to get a few plants started this year.

Hope everyone has a great day!!
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe you can keep them in the garage or basement over winter. since they arent' in the ground i don't know if they'll handle the freeze well?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

raisingcropsandbabies- we butchered probably 30 some chickens one year. Blah. It was rainy and cold fall week when we were doing it so my fingers froze!!! lol. I don't mind it so much. Dh and I caught them and Dh killed them. FIL would skin them and removed the innards. Dh and I worked on cleaning up the innards. I hate fighting with the innards though. They are so much more slippery in chickens than other things!! I'd much rather butcher a deer, pig, small game animal over poultry or water fowl...lol

Meagan- I'd be a mess if I were you! Haha, Good luck!!!

Mysweetseven- Let me know how they turn out!! I'll be getting some pumpkin from my GrandFIL soon. I think it'd make a great christmas gift to can and hand out. I think I'm giving out applebutter this year. I plan to make a special batch out of the next group of apples I get. I thought I was finished canning and freezing BUT I got more apples and have more coming. This batch goes for applesauce and the next applebutter and sauce. MIL picked the rest of their peppers and gave me two fivegallon bucket fulls to cut up and freeze. **sighs**

Today I feel so...busy. I washed all of Ds's toys and need to rinse them. He's been sick and I wanted to kill all germs. I need to wash up dishes from supper last night, breakfast this morning and brownie baking. At times like this, I wish I had a dishwasher!!! I need to wash bedsheets because both ours and Ds's were peed on in the last 24 hours. I have 4 loads of laundry and diapers in the bedroom in baskets and piled on the floor to fold from the weekend and yesterday. I have a load of towels and 2 loads of other clothing in the laundry room piled up. Hankies, napkins, dish cloths, dish rags, hand towels and wash cloths are in the washer, jeans and barnclothes in the dryer and those 2 loads of bedsheets piled up to be washed. The floors desperately need vacuumed. Trash needs loaded onto hubby's f250 so it's off my porch and one step closer to the dump. (I did another purge and now we have nothing that we don't need in the house!! )

So how do you get human and cat pee out of a mattress? Anyone know? After someone peed in momma and daddy's bed and momma soaked up as much as possible with towels then put baking soda on it, the cat decided to mark her territory as well in the same freaking spot. Cat pee is so much worse than human pee!!!!! It wasn't much b/c I caught her as she squatted so I soaked it up again, put baking soda on it again, let it sit, vacuumed it up, scrubbed the spot with dish detergent water on a sponge and after it dried a little I sprayed it with lysol spray. It smells better but still like pee. Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

try a full dose vinegar soak. vinegar should neutralize the pee and as it dries will take the smell out. you can try that special stuff they have for cat pee too. can't remember the name of it??? Nature's miracle or something like that i think