View Poll Results: First child speech skills:tv watching opportunities
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 46 36.51%
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 35 27.78%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 24 19.05%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was very restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 15 11.90%
Other, because there's always an other. 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

DS1 was at home full time, never in nursery or in day care. TV on pretty much 24/7. A very early talker. On his first birthday he took a bite of his cake and said "I not wike it."

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Not very verbal, and no tv. He progressed normally with language and he has a great vocabulary now
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz2002
My daughter was delayed and we only allowed her to watch baby signs for about the first 18 months. Doctor said it was probably because she could still communicate to us without talking since she did sign language.

By 24 months though she passed what she needed to know and then some. Just all clicked. Now if I could only get the silence back on some days...
Signing with babies has been proven to encourage speech development so dont worry, you did her no harm by signing with her. Her delay likely would have happened regardless of the signs. When babies use sign language they are activating the same areas of the brain as spoken language but the motor skills involved in speech comenlater.

As to tv in general correlating with speech delay i believe i read studies suggesting that it affects social behavior and im sure this was measured by speech somehow. I know that tv in young children has been linked to attention disorders and more violent behavior when compared to peers who do not watch tv. This obviously doesnt mean that it will affect every kid who watches tv but if you believe the rules of statistics tv watchers are more likely to have these behaviors.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
As to tv in general correlating with speech delay i believe i read studies suggesting that it affects social behavior and im sure this was measured by speech somehow. I know that tv in young children has been linked to attention disorders and more violent behavior when compared to peers who do not watch tv. This obviously doesnt mean that it will affect every kid who watches tv but if you believe the rules of statistics tv watchers are more likely to have these behaviors.
yes, that's why I prefaced it with being wholey anecdotal - not research-wise
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Haha sorry i missed that! I suppose ill answer the question too fwiw. Dd has cerebral palsy so she has been followed closely by speech therapists since birth. At 23 months when i asked for testing she tested above average for receptive language(by less than 6 months), at average for expressive language and scores were abysmal for articulation. She continues to struggle with articulation. She had no desire to watch tv until about 18 months? she was a velcro baby and just wanted to do what i was doing and be with me. I think right around then she started watching signing time and that was all she would watch for a long time i think until she was 3 when she got into dora a little. She started signing consistantly and approximating speech around a yearish and has been a constant chatterbox since. I dont usually have tv on for myself and she watched maybe 30-60 min/day. I had no idea what to vote so i just voted other lol.

Last edited by newmommy13; 10-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is very verbal & always has been. The sitters she's been with do have TV on during the day & we let DD watch kid shows in the evening w/ no real restriction. I don't necessarily connect the two, though. DP & I are talkers. We talk to each other & to her all the time. Likewise, the previous sitter (who had DD from 8wks to 28 mos) talked a lot & her kids are bright & they're talkers as well. I think, for DD, is was more about being constantly exposed to talking, whether it was on TV or IRL.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I always have had it on for background noise. I didnt put kid shows on for dd1 until she was 2. Until then she couldnt have cared less what was on it anyhow. The recommendation is no tv until 2yrs and if its on as back ground noise it can confuse a child and actually delay speech....having said that I dont talk a lot(which is suppose to help with speach even if youre talking to the wall while the child is in ear shot lol) but I did read to her a lot! She didnt have a million words at 12mos or anything but when I had her evaluted(for walking but they do it all) at 18mos she had the langauge skills(expressive and receptive) of a 2.75 yr old.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

We are a NO tv until 3 and then EXTREMELY limited tv for the kids after 3 (ODD is 7 and only gets to watch tv on the weekends and only during the younger kids nap). She was advanced in speech (not just my opinion) and is now advanced in reading. I don't know if it had anything to do with the no tv but I talked to her all the time from day 1 (partly because I was home alone with her all day and had nobody to talk to LOL)

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't do a lot of TV in the mornings due to overstimulation on MY part--3 kids under 5 makes a lot of noise without the help of TV. It is not by any moral or other objections to TV. I just can't stand the extra noise.

Our early morning routine to get DD1 and DS up is to put Sesame Street on Netflix in my room, then carry them and their clothes to my bed. They wake up a lot more plesantly to TV. Then they go downstairs, eat breakfast (no TV), then one last potty and get on the bus to kindy and developmental preschool.

In the afternoons, we watch Disney movies during rest time.

My kids love Barney, World World, Super Why, Sesame Street, and most of the other PBS shows. We watch them on Netflix. We very rarely watch "real" tv.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ds1 watched zero Tv before 2 (and now at 6.5 doesn't watch any Tv/movies at all), spoke in complete, complex sentences by 18 months, and was part of the control group for a longterm neurological study of premie development up to the age of two (he was tested every six months until 2 years, then again at 3 and at 4 and will be tested once more at 10), and they reported they had never had a child score as high as he did in verbal ability. his brother, ds2, is 18 months, also has never seen Tv, and says maybe 10 words. each kid is different, even in the same environment.