View Poll Results: First child speech skills:tv watching opportunities
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 46 36.51%
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 35 27.78%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 24 19.05%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was very restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 15 11.90%
Other, because there's always an other. 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

My twins saw no tv/videos/etc until they were about 18M. Then they started watching 1 program a day. At about 20ish months we got dvd players in the car, so they also got to watch while in the car. I'd consider both of them late talkers. So much that we did a speech evaluation through EI, but they both came back normal.

I chose limited/no TV because I consider it that, but now that I typed it out it sounds like they watched a lot watching one show a day plus something in the car.

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter had 100 spoken words by her first birthday and she had never seen a TV. I realize that is somewhat unusual so I didn't take your poll (I suspect TV would not have made any difference). At 4 her speech is still pretty amazing with limited tv. She uses advanced words and concepts correctly. Her world is expanding though, and it isn't just me and the TV anymore.

Incidentally, my son is 15 months old and MAY have said his first word yesterday, "key." He may also have just been clearing his throat.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

I voted for not very verbal and restricted TV. I should have read the first post before voting b/c this is based on my second child, but there's almost 11 years between the two, so I still think it counts.

My first child was in day care during the week, so there was no TV there, but we would typically watch at movie or TV at night and she was early with everything.

I think the personality differences between the two also account for this. My first was overly trusting and social with strangers, and my second takes a while to warm up to people.

Another note: now that we've started signing more at home (thank you, Signing Time DVDs!) DD2 has really started talking more. I think with the sign and the couple syllables she can get out we can understand her more so she tries more often.

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD was VERY verbal and watched no TV. We did do signing with her (just me signing, not the videos) and also read books. LOTS of books. I mean we read, and read, and read and read. I've never seen a kid who loved books so much. I think her advanced verbal skills were due to me reading to her all the time, talking to her about everything (there's no one else to talk to when it is just you and the baby! Gotta keep sane somehow, LOL!) and signing.

My DS was no where near as verbal. We still did no TV and but he was not as interested in books at all. We did sign with him which did help immensely with his ability to communicate, though.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd rarely watched TV until she was ~22 months, and we still restrict the amount of TV she watches (she's 2.5 now). I would call her an early talker; she definitely was using short sentences earlier than her friends.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
3GirlieMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: YoliMama
seller

My Mood:

We never had the TV on with my first DD but we did baby sign and she has always been extremely verbal. She barely likes to watch TV now and she's 7. My 2nd DD took a little longer and TV was restricted completely until after she turned 2.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first has always been a chatterbox-- spoke early, large vocabulary and has not really ever stopped talking. I could not pay her to watch TV when she was little. She had no interest. I was desperate for her to watch TV by the time her brother was born.

Now, of course, at nine, she is desperate for TV.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 is a late talker, but he was born early and severely jaundice (almost to the point of brain damage) so he has been on the later side of development with nearly everything. We don't have TV, but he's allowed to watch movies, and we don't really "restrict" but we obviously don't let him watch movies all day either (not that he would want to.)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Shaunam
Registered Users

We watched plenty of TV and DS was a very late talker.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
chillimom
Registered Users

well, I was one of those moms who was all "I'm not going to let my kid watch TV", but DD watches a ton of TV and is extremely verbal. It was always on when she was an infant due to DS who is autistic and wanted it on all the time (he doesn't watch it much but likes the background noise I think). By the time DS moved out and DD was a year, she was already using over 70 words and starting to use 2-3 word sentences. Now, at 26 months, DD speaks and understands as well as the average 3 1/2 to 4-year-old. She knows her alphabet, can identify about half of her letters by sight and tell you the sounds they make, can count to 20, knows all her colours, etc. TV definitely hasn't hurt DD, and has definitely helped with the counting and letter identification. She only watches Treehouse or shows like Sesame Street and Dora on NetFlix though.

An example of DD's speech just now (she's in the bath), "Where's the letter's mom? They're in the whale's mouth" (all her foam bath letters inside her big blue and white bath storage thingy, then she dumps it) "oh, look, the whale spit it out mom, now there's letters everywhere. Poor whale, he's hungry!"

FWIW, I don't think TV made DD verbal - I was a very early talker and was hyperlexic as a wee one (reading by 3 years old). Plus, DH and I talk to her and read to her all the time. Also, our background in working with kids and adults with disabilities has made us quicker to pick up on speech/communication attempts and respond than some parents might be.
chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote