Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Look who joined our family today!

Chicks by bekkihill, on Flickr

We finally have our chicks!!! French Black Copper Marans, about 3 weeks old. We have five ladies - Marsala, Parmesan, Cacciatore, Teriyaki, and Barbecue. And one roo, General Tso.

We don't actually plan on eating them, though. Their eggs are just too gorgeous!

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Look who joined our family today!

AWWW! And the names!!!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm really excited! Just hoping they will warm up a bit. I think they're stressed from the travel, and living in an unfamiliar place. But the poor things are terrified of me!Any time I reach my hand in to change their food or water, they peep and run away!

Any tips on how to "socialize" baby chicks?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!!!!!!!

Just get them used to you sitting watching, them place your hand in there, perhaps with treats. Don't force it, they will get used to you. They will slowly start eat from your hand, then start to perch . You'll get there. Take it slow, they are new to you and prob not been handled much. Also, they are older. You'll do fine. Just go slow and consistant.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Congrats!!!!!!!

Just get them used to you sitting watching, them place your hand in there, perhaps with treats. Don't force it, they will get used to you. They will slowly start eat from your hand, then start to perch . You'll get there. Take it slow, they are new to you and prob not been handled much. Also, they are older. You'll do fine. Just go slow and consistant.
Thanks for the tips! I have been going down several times a day to talk to them. I put a few bits of their feed in my hand and hold it out. One chick ate a piece once. Sometimes I get pecked. lol

The woman I bought them from told me to just reach in and grab 'em, then cuddle them under my chin. It just seems cruel to chase them when they're running away.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be truthfull, I have had some that were just a particular persionality and didn't like me, still don't. Some I tried the grab them, but gently, and hold close to my body....never worked. They get less afraid of being held, but never enjoy it like the others. With them being older it will be a slow process, just stick with it. I have 2 now that still HATE me. The others in the brooder come runnin to see what I'm up to or play with my wedding band, lol. Some enjoy coming out and some it seems are traumatised by it. I just leave the anti-social ones alone, lol. I have the batch that just went out and 90% were actually kinda mean. One bit me again just changing the water in the coop/run. It seemed to be the ones that were australorp X. They are even feather picking. Little meanies.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well, I think the ones that are still the most interested in us are the ones we talked to frequently, not handled. So I guess like sarah was saying, the ones that are the most friendly are the ones we didn't force contact with. You should also know that in the "teenage" weeks before they begin laying, even the ones that may have gotten tame enough to come and sit on your arm will shun you and act as though they have never seen you before. After they start laying and the hormones calm down they'll return to their previous nature.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our French Marans tend to be meaner/ more stand-offish than any other hens I've had or dealt with, ESP the Black Copper! Even one that was super sweet as a chick (she had to live in my parents house for a while due to illness) turned meanie after a while! Lovely though =] when they get bigger maybe you'd like to trade eggs =] do they have feathered shanks?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great information!

Before I bought these chicks, I read that Marans are sweet and tame. Now I am reading mixed reviews. Uh oh! We will see! LOL

I am happy to trade eggs with anyone, and yes, they have cute little feathered legs.

Things are a little bit better today. I have been going down 6-8 times a day to check on them. Each time, I take a handful of fresh chick food and hold it in the brooder in my hand. Yesterday, most of them just looked, and one would eat a bit. This morning, they ALL gathered around and ate, jumped on my hand, etc.

Then as soon as I turned my hand to dump out the rest of the food, they all ran and cheeped like maniacs as if I was going to murder them. LOL Movements terrify the heck out of them! But it's progress!

They are living in a much different environment than before. They were initially raised in a tiny little brooder with DOZENS of other chicks, in a warm, sunny little glass room.

Now they are in a much bigger brooder with only six of them total. In a basement that has sounds. You should see them every time the freezer kicks on. They all FREEZE and look around like paranoid little nutsos. I can only imagine what they think when they hear my kids making racket upstairs.

One step at a time! If they don't want to be super social, that's OK. As long as they don't grow up to be mean. We will see!