Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #101
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Autumn gardening chat * Oct-Nov 2012

question for you ladies. i have a mature strawberry bed here but since we are moving i will have to start over. we dont' have any idea when we'll be moving though. could be dead of winter or spring. so i don't think i'll be starting another garden this fall..

anyways, is it possible to pull the runners from my berry plants and freeze them somehow and then replant at the new house so i don't have to buy new plants??

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #102
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heck yea Meagan. I bought mine and didn't finish the bed for 2 months. Had them in the fridge like bulbs. I bought them and they were in the fridge therem. Dry out and remove tops, bundle, keep in a roomey paper bag. You could even try some mature plants to keep as well.

AFM Ray works nights right, I woke up to find a GIANT warty orange striped pumpkin on the couch, hehehe. It is amazeing! I begged for some last week and we just didn't have the money, and he wasn't impressed. His not said it was the coolest he had ever seen and he couldn't resist spending his dinner money on it for me! Oh I LOVE this man! I'll share a pic asap.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #103
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes I think some diy hoops are def going to be on my to do list. How cool abt the pumpkin! I couldn't get a decent sized one to save my life this year. We have just one that's small/average I'll have to take a pic of.

Meagan, What Sarah said, but I'd take the mature plants! Wait until they go dormant this fall, ease the crowns and as much of the root system out of the ground as you can and give them a little shake to take a bit of the soil off. put them in a plastic bag (open at the top) and stick them in your fridge until you're ready to plant them!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #104
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pic time again,

Got the bulbs in and added compost.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #105
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Holy moly you said big but I couldn't have guessed! That thing is a behemoth! (and awesome, I'm jealous!) your tree... could you put a little garden border around it so he doesn't mow it?

Ok so here's my photo bomb since dh finally gave me back the camera:

my window baby-basil. It's first true set of leaves got chewed by something but it's recovering well. Surprised how GREEN it is!

My volunteer lettuces starting to form curled heads. No bugs! Shocking!

Garlic emerging:

Onions:

raspberries getting new canes - WOOT!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #106
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

wow what an awesome looking pumpkin! so cool

ugh i am getting so antsy! i've been working late, taking kids to dr appts, or it's been raining and i have not gotten out to my garden in 2 weeks! plus, since it's getting dark earlier, i'm getting home from work after the sun goes down most days. by 10pm when kids are in bed and i finally have time, all i can really do is sit inside fretting about it, but it's dark and cold by then i still need to go pull dead plants, work in some manure, harvest turnips, onions, and carrots if they're done, and plant garlic! i'm worried i'm too late for planting garlic it sounds like a lot of you have planted it long since, and i just have not been able to get out there and do it. i looked it up, and it looks like there's a lot of dissenting opinions on when you can plant it. some info seems to suggest i still have time, but i'm just not sure. i'm hoping to get to it this weekend, because if i don't do it soon, i'm going to just have to eat it! and that will be some expensive garlic.....

Last edited by Liadan23; 10-18-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Liadan23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #107
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
wow what an awesome looking pumpkin! so cool

ugh i am getting so antsy! i've been working late, taking kids to dr appts, or it's been raining and i have not gotten out to my garden in 2 weeks! plus, since it's getting dark earlier, i'm getting home from work after the sun goes down most days. by 10pm when kids are in bed and i finally have time, all i can really do is sit inside fretting about it, but it's dark and cold by then i still need to go pull dead plants, work in some manure, harvest turnips, onions, and carrots if they're done, and plant garlic! i'm worried i'm too late for planting garlic it sounds like a lot of you have planted it long since, and i just have not been able to get out there and do it. i looked it up, and it looks like there's a lot of dissenting opinions on when you can plant it. some info seems to suggest i still have time, but i'm just not sure. i'm hoping to get to it this weekend, because if i don't do it soon, i'm going to just have to eat it! and that will be some expensive garlic.....
We haven't planted our garlic yet, mama. There's time.

That is an awesome pumpkin, Sarah!!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #108
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think you have right up until the first hard frost mama, don't worry! It'll be fine even if it sprouts before then.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #109
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay, great pics. Those lettuces have sure grown! Great! Thanks for sharing pics. I do like to look at others as much as I like to share. I'm really into photography.

I believe there is actually still plenty of time. I wanted to plant much later but my garlic was ruining. Had to plant.

So, changed my mind about the greenhouse. Ray said he's gonna just make me a nice little pvc hoop one!!!! Yippeeeee!

Guess what I'm doing with the bed frameing?.....Ready, a bitty coop! Got some railing removed today, all of them cut to size, took to extra scraps from the coop construction and split/cut to size (12") to raise the frame. Battery was dead in the drill so I got one piece of wire done on the top. BTW, I AM STEALING the table saw and sawzaw! WOOHOO I am in love. Mabye I should have been a carpenter? Oh I'm really in love. Ray said he would build it tomorrow and I refused. He's not allowed to touch it. My design, work, my baby. Hehehe. It's working out just great! I have some scrap plywood and vynal sideing I think I may use for a little shelter. Dunno yet. I also have to work out the gate system. Work in progress and I'm irritated it's getting dark and we can't go back out. I'm rearing to go! So dang excited. This will be my first 100% on my own from idea to finished project on such a large scale. I think I will have $0 to spend. Just things we have on hand and upcycle. It will remain moveable. I'm takeing pics of each step.

Thanks for the comments on the "great pumpkin". I feel bad he worked so long and didn't get to eat. It really touches my heart. So thoughtfull. <3 He said it sat alone for the whole week. He went on his break and stood it up to show how lovely it was. He decided if it wasn't gone by last night he would have to get it for me. I'm very excited to get seeds from this thing too! I'll have something really unique to add to my seed trade list!! And can't wait to grow some next year.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #110
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

aww Sarah ray is such a sweetie!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote