Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #171
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Autumn gardening chat * Oct-Nov 2012

Lol, my make shift fence detured them for all of a week. What a joke!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #172
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Finally, finally, finally got our garlic in. It has been so very wet here, and the next week is supposed to be more sunny and mild. We finally got it in this morning. We planted 125 Music, 337 of our own first run Music II and about 150 of the second run. We have another 160+ peeled, but I was running out of space, so I am going to dehydrate them this week.

DH prepping the garlic. We got the call that his uncle (who also grows garlic here) was coming this morning. So, in an hour we prepped 770+ cloves.

The Music garlic, new to us, uncle purchased it for us.

Our first run.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #173
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Love it! Funny because I decided last minute to put more in last night. Got it done just in time. It was mid 20's again. Looks like it snowed out.

Kat, I asked a while back about dehydrateing garlic and the gathered thoughts was it was prob too smelly. How do you do yours?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #174
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Wow! Love it! Funny because I decided last minute to put more in last night. Got it done just in time. It was mid 20's again. Looks like it snowed out.

Kat, I asked a while back about dehydrateing garlic and the gathered thoughts was it was prob too smelly. How do you do yours?
We have never done it... LOL We have frozen crushed garlic and just kept the bulbs over winter. The uncle dehydrates, though. He recommends using a food dehydrator. He said to crush the garlic first, place it on parchment in the trays. He said to run it in the garage or elsewhere as it does get a bit strong. No, actually, he said he would run it right in the kitchen (he LOVES garlic), but his wife insists on it being in the garage. I am going to give it a try. We have a workbench in the garage, and a side door, so I will just run it out there this week. We are supposedly having some nicer weather this week, so I can keep that side door open to prevent the garlic from permeating the house.

Once it is dehydrated, he uses a coffee grinder to pulverize it. He said they went through a lot of coffee grinders before they realized that if they crushed the garlic first, it broke up into tiny pebbles and worked better. He has also used a meat grinder to break up big stones.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-05-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #175
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, look at all that gorgeous garlic! I have a couple more bulbs to put in the ground. I'm aiming for enough for 2 full braids. That's more than sufficient for us. I love it though, the smell is intoxicating. Like the basil, I can't resist brushing the leaves when I walk past so I can smell it.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #176
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

this is making me soooo excited for the garlic i planted this year. i've never done it before. i can't wait to try some next summer!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #177
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well my broc. looks great, It's grown a lot and has gotten a really nice dark green color. I'm hopeful it will do well! The red onions are beginning to sprout and my lettuce looks good, growing well. The volunteer lettuce is almost ready to harvest, can't believe how big it has gotten! This is the most success I've ever had with lettuce so I think I'm not even going to bother trying to grow it during summer anymore. Just all fall and early spring.

My strawberries are blooming a bit, I see some more green strawberries and I have one that is almost ripe. My heritage red raspberry cane has flower buds on it, wow! I might get a hand full of fall raspberries!

My window box of herbs is doing great, everything is sprouted now and growing well. Tomatoes even sprouted despite Riley dropping the whole pot on the ground and knocking off most of the topsoil. I almost gave up and replanted but something told me to wait. Sure enough, that evening a little tomato sprout popped up and a day later, another! This is a yellow plum tomato I got from wintersown, FUN!

Went out today and braved the high winds to try to get a lot of the leaves onto my garden plots before they blew away. Connor helped me get all the left over corn stalks and tomato plants onto the far plot.

I cooked up some of our peppers that I had frozen from the garden last night with steak for dinner and they smelled soooo good and were sweet. I'm sure missing my summer garden already! I know I'm going to run out of my goodies before spring comes again.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #178
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow girl! My garden is a gonner, lol. The girls found the goodies. No keeping them out now. Have to get a fence up before spring. The plants in the house are doing well. The toms are out of controll! Half way up the window height. One pepper, bell, has a bloom. No idea if they will produce?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #179
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Cool! My tomatoes are just sprouting, took for-ev-er to get them going. They sure will produce! Those plants are like our chickens, they need so many hours of daylight to get the signal to fruit and bloom. Get a sun -light bulb and one of your brooder lamps to turn on for a few hours in the early morning for them for supplemental light and you should have some goodies in no time! I'm excited for you, It's going to be probably christmas before mine will be big enough to flower.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #180
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i don't know if you all remember a ways back when i said that i'd gotten some access to free composted manure, but i finally got around to going out and getting it! yea! but, it's not as composted as i originally thought. it's hard to tell how old it was. the old lady who was there said that her granddaughter does a lot of it, and was confused as to how long it had been there (but it looked like this was their usual pile that they dumped the stuff cleaned out of the barn on. some of it was from that day, but i dug down and got some stuff that looked older. i just don't know how to tell. and i think she was just kind of old and confused ). there was also straw mixed in, but that seems all to the good. so even though i wasn't sure it was exactly what i wanted, i took it anyways, cause i want something to put on my garden over the winter to add some good fertilizer for next year. so, here's what i've done: i put a good layer of dead leaves on the garden that we'd raked up out of the yard, and then i dumped the manure on top (hopefully to help keep the leaves from blowing all over the place until they get good and matted down ). i didn't have enough to really thickly layer it. i'm going to go get more next weekend to put on my strawberry bed and on my new herb garden bed out front. i'm planning to get it all sit over the winter and then till it in in the spring before planting. is this going to be ok? should i get more to give it a really good thick layer? how much would you get? is this long enough for the fresher stuff to break down some and do some good to my soil without harming the plants i intend on planting next year?
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote