Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #181
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: *Autumn gardening chat * Oct-Nov 2012

That sounds awesome! I'm trying to work up to a foot deep since my soil is so poor. I forget, are you doing the back to eden garden like I am? If you are, I think he said 8 inches in the video.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #182
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You rock girl! Ray was saying yesterday how we need to go ahead and get some. I'd love to do the 8", but ours is so big I just can't immagine how many truck-loads that'd be.
I would think even if it's fresher stuff, it would be ready by then.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #183
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ok so here's my indoor winter plants.

My volunteer basil, remember this little thing?

NOW:

My tomatoes that I cannot pronounce the name of.
early ssubakus aliana

purple basil, onion chives

flat leaf italian parsley

I forgot to get a pic of it before I started prepping it for dinner, but I picked my head of lettuce in the strawberry bed today to serve for dh's birthday dinner, it was yummy!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-13-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #184
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awsome Liz. Very nice. Wish mine looked as healthy, lol. That basil has taken off!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #185
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
That sounds awesome! I'm trying to work up to a foot deep since my soil is so poor. I forget, are you doing the back to eden garden like I am? If you are, I think he said 8 inches in the video.
i'm not doing back to eden, although i've thought about it, but not right now. and my soil is actually pretty awesome because the guy we bought the house from has been gardening in this spot for years and years, and it appears that he did a lot of work with the soil. but, i used it hard this year so i want to make sure i put back what i took out

the indoor plants look awesome! still haven't planted mine this week i'll probably get to it. that's my plan anyways!

ok, i know this isn't veggies, and i ask a lot of questions but i'm hoping maybe you ladies might know more about flowers than i do. a flower has popped up in one of the raised beds in our yard. we didn't plant it, so it's obviously some perennial planted by the previous owner. it's low-growing with pretty green leaves and an unusual looking white blossom. the flower has sort of a rounded look to it, not lots of little petals or blossoms. it's sort of hard to explain. it started blooming in september and is STILL blooming as of today. we got a light dusting of snow this morning, that's how cold it's been. i am impressed and i MUST know what it is so that i can properly care for it and transplant it, since i want it in a different place next year. but it's seriously very pretty and such an awesome plant for blooming so late in the season. usually i use google to identify these things, but for the first time, it's completely failed me. i can't find anything that even looks close to what i've got. any thoughts?
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #186
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Hard to say without seeing it but the only thing I can think of that would look like that is bind weed. In which case he didn't plant it, it's invasive and related to morning glory.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #187
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No idea without a pic?

Your soil sounds awsome though, hehe!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #188
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

no it's not bindweed. i've got a pic in my camera at home. if i get the chance i'll post it later. sorry for bugging you all with it. it's just been driving me nuts! how many flowers can there be that bloom in november in chicago!? but google is silent on the issue...
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #189
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ooh can't wait to see! We have this amazing flower that grows wild here, Datura or thornapples. They're poisonous but the flowers are just amazing and they smell heavenly. I have seeds from a apricot trumpet flower (related to them) to plant in the spring and I keep meaning to stop to gather some of the datura pods on the side of the roads but never find time. Supposedly they make pumpkins grow bigger if you inter-plant them. The flowers are like 8" long!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #190
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How big is the flower?

And is it a bulb flower?

Quite possibly this one:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...081A&first=212

http://ayay.co.uk/background/nature/...ower-in-bloom/