Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: *Autumn gardening chat * Oct-Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumismommy View Post
You're all too sweet. I don't know how I'm doing it at 8 months pregnant either. And this little miss has already dropped so low (mw's say her head isn't engaged so that's good). I just want to get this garden going and I know it's not going to be easier next year when I have a 3 yo and 1 yo so might as well figure it out now - lol!

My carrots and well everything else is growing - which is great. I had no idea what would happen with the carrot bed (one the dog dug up but she didn't go crazy on this one so I just patched up the rows and added some extra seed in spots) most of the sprouts are actually in the low part like the ditch part between the rows - she must've knocked the surface of the soil over. So that's where they will grow!

The beets sprouted up insanely fast. I'm shocked. I don't know why, maybe that's normal, but I was surprised indeed.

We are actually in the high 70's to mid 80's supposedly for the next 10 days so I'm super stoked - that means I can get my onions, shallots and garlic in!

I decided to add in some peat moss to the garlic bed and I'm just gonna see what kind of cheap mulch the nursery has or what they suggest and if I get no credible help ill go with straw.

Do you ladies mulch every fall/winter crop? I just don't get how they grow through it- or do I wait until the plants are substantial enough that I mulch around? No clue.

Baby shower this weekend and super excited - we didn't register for anything - just asking for anyone that wants to get us anything to make a freezable meal to stock our freezer with so I don't have to cook for awhile or REI gift cards for a double stroller. I'm not a greedy, gifty person at all, we didn't even register for our wedding, but I would loooove a full freezer and a little help with the stroller.

Hope you ladies are growing crops and having some fun doing it!
ahh... isn't the cool off nice? I do mulch, it just takes longer for it to break through or you can gently push some of the mulch away from the plants in the spring when they start to sprout. I actually cover the strawberries completely and then when spring comes I take off the top layer. Hope your baby shower was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
LOVE your indoor garden sarah! i haven't gotten mine finished yet. i have potting soil in the pots, but haven't planted. things have been crazy busy around here, dh has been working some side jobs that take up his evenings, weekends, and most of his nights. plus, in a 2 week span we had our dishwasher break, our dryer break, and the brakes go out on our car. the a/c is out on the other car, but we've decided not to worry about that until spring anyways, so i'm trying to do all the stuff by hand that i usually rely on machines to do, and hold down the fort on my own, plus still working full time. the garden....has taken a back seat

i do have most of the stuff pulled from the garden that i'm willing to pull right now. i have 2 green pepper, 2 tomatillo plants, and 1 yellow squash that have a TON of fruit on them still (figures, after barely getting anything from any of them except the yellow squash all summer. yellow squash always grows gangbusters for me no matter what). but the fruit hasn't been getting any bigger, or moving towards ripening for probably a week or so? we haven't had a freeze yet, but temps are starting to drop. we're supposed to have lows in the 30's this weekend (our lows have been 50's more or less for the last several weeks). not below freezing, but close. would you pull them? they are currently taking up the area where i'd like my garlic to go, so i'm itching to clear that space if they really just aren't going to finish that fruit up due to the cold, but i want to get what i can from them if possible since i got so little all summer

and aumismommy, lol at the 8 months pregnant gardening. that was me last spring. and i sympathize with you. it is not pleasant. i couldn't bend over, i had to sit down on the walkway and do it. i was out there pulling weeds like a madwoman the day i went into labor. my neighbors on all sides came out individually and told me i was nuts and was going to put myself into labor. i was 41 weeks, so that was, of course, my goal at that point. i wasn't even letting myself sit down then, just squatting, hoping it would get things moving. gardening is good for many things besides just food
It's always hard to decide whether to pull the last of the summer garden or not. I had to come to the conclusion a few years back that plants don't go by the calendar and they'd go until the frost got them. When I pull them now is when the fruits get really small or seem to sit forever unripened. The plants like the cooler temps for growth but then they don't ripen fruit as fast. At that point, I'm losing money watering for just a couple last tomatoes that may or may not ripen before frost, kwim? Plus.. it just plain sucks trying to get fall crops in when the wind is cutting through your coat and your fingers are frozen. But, one thing you could try is putting some black plastic over the soil around their roots to keep them warmer at night since plants grow the most at night.

I managed to get the last two raised beds moved to their place for next year, box, dirt and all. I planted the berry canes and garlic in one, my onions, a bit more garlic and eventually carrots in the other. Feels good to have that done! Now to get the potatoes figured out! I had snipped the tops of my strawberries and trimmed all the dead stuff off earlier this week and they are looking great! All of them have some new growth. I plan on fertilizing them one last time tomorrow to help give them one last push for good root and crown growth before the freeze. We're still getting some berries from the everbearing ones.

There's a chance that I may be inheriting my SIL's two 8x4 raised beds. They had to move in a hurry (long story) and the new house (rental) doesn't have a fenced yard so she's not planning on gardening there. I'm sad for her. She enjoyed it so much, her garden did far better than mine did this year! If we do take them, I will probably fill them with strawberries and potatoes. As nice as it would be to have a couple more planters to work with I am hoping she'll find a way to keep them. It's sad to see another gardener have to quit.

Tomorrow I still have to find that darn light fixture for the hens, and start getting the far back plot where the corn and vines will be next year cleared out of this year's vines and ready to be filled with mulch. Hoping the lovely weather holds. I'll get pics tomorrow, I worked until it was dark and long after.

oh, and I finished 18 pocket diapers for Wyatt and cut out 10 more... eep! Lordy, I hate putting snaps on, they make my hands hurt!

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm really sorry to hear about your sisters garden issue. Can she do multiple containers? Poor girl. hat really does stink! Gardening brings so much joy!

You have nice weather! We have had blistering wind in the low 40's and constant ice cold rain. I can't get jack done. I really needed to get a ton of potted bushes in the ground but it's too dang windy and cold to take the boys out there with me! What to do. They won't make it if not put in the ground soon. I should have done it a while back.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

It's 55 right now at 7am, and expected to be in the low70's all week. Love this time of the year but it's fading fast, winter hits with a vengeance the first day of November, usually. Frost, biting wind, snow. Usually an overnight change from pleasant 70's to daytime 40's. Gotta love the desert. That's the price we pay for having such nice fall/spring weather. There's no gradual change to the next season. Overnight it changes!

Yes, I feel bad for her. She had just done up the garden really cute. BIL had made her a little picket fence around it and everything. I don't know if she would do a pot garden or even if there's room. Dh and I helped them move last weekend. There's only one small fenced in area right off of one of the back doors for their dog. Nothing else is fenced. Rabbits in particular are really bad around here and as close as they are to the mountain they could also get visits from mule deer and bighorn sheep. They are waiting at least a year to see if the move "cures" their desire to move away from the desert. If they decide to buy this house I'm sure she will put in something so that she can have a garden again. I thought about potting some herbs to bring her. She has a little greenhouse window in the kitchen.

I SOOO need to get out to the garden to mulch and let the girls out but I don't want to be cold. *big baby* LOL
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Hey Sarah, I was trying to help my other SIL find a solution for the worms that are on her whole garden and I came across something that might help you with the worms you had. I always thought BT was harmful but after reading this I guess it's not what I thought it was. Anyhoo.. this is a organic dust that might save your crops next yr:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/safer-b...specifications

more info:

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...bial-pesticide

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-07-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That actually sounds like an excelent option! Thanks Liz! I'll have to bookmark that so I remember the name.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #26
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for those of you with unripe tomatoes, try putting down black plastic or a dark blanket on the ground. then lay your tomato plants down on top. unhook them from their stand or whatever they are climbing up and lay them flat on the ground. the extra heat from the blanket or plastic will ripen the remaining fruits for you!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great tip Meagan.

We have had non-stop rain, so mine are splitting as soon as they begin to blush. I have been bringing mine in as soon as they start to ripen. I have a flat box with a recieveing blanket in in. I placed it in front of a sunny window and just add to them. I remove as they finish ripening. I keep the blanket pulled over them. Keeps them from cracking with all this water.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

just pulled my last tomato the other day. it was just starting to turn red so i plucked it off and brought it in. there's nothing else coming up, so i'm trashing the tomato plants.

oh and my question about what to do with the squash and tomatillos answered itself this weekend we got a freeze after all. they're all dead. i picked the ones that were close enough to being edible and the rest i'll just have to let go. we'll get a batch of salsa verde and one more meal of yellow squash i think. green beans bit the dust too. they were a late planting, so i knew it was a crapshoot as to whether or not they'd make it in time. green peppers are still trucking along. one of them has no fruit on it, and i'm going to pull it, the other one is LOADED though. i'll leave it and see if i can't get another couple peppers. i'm sort of sad about the ones that died, but not really. now i can clear that spot out and plant my garlic!

for the most part, everything else is cold weather stuff (broccoli, lettuce, carrots, turnips, onions) and seems just fine. it's almost getting too cold to work in the garden though. brrr!! i need to hurry and finish up the garlic, work in the compost i want to have sit for the winter, and get inside! i'm putting off planting my indoor stuff until i get the rest of that stuff done so that i can get it before the real cold hits.

Last edited by Liadan23; 10-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you still have a good bit in the garden.

All my fall plantings look great, just growing so slow it has me concerned. Last nights freeze was a toughie, but surprisengly not a single plant was damaged. Go figure. The indoor plantsare doing great minus the dog eating the soil and seedlings. cayden accidentily snapped off one of the gourd vines. I think it will be fine though. Got tons done with the coop this am. Just so cold out. The wind is what's bad.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Just so cold out. The wind is what's bad.
seriously! the weather turned so quickly! i have sooo much stuff i want to get done outside, but i just can't bring myself to go out there. i know i'm being a big baby, but it's soooo cold! it's supposed to warm up a little bit here this weekend, but they're also predicting thunderstorms! gah! fall gardening at its finest i guess....

Last edited by Liadan23; 10-10-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote