Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
20 month old screams all the time

I feel like we're starting the terrible twos early. DS2 is constantly screaming. He was pushing something earlier and bumped into something. Screaming. He dropped something. Screaming. His sippy cup is empty. Screaming. I'm about to lose it.

I try not to give in when he screams for things like getting his sippy cup filled up, but dear heavens, the kid won't communicate any other way but screaming. He CAN talk, well a few words anyway. And he's capable of signing. He signs "more" and "all done" when he wants to. He knows how to sign "water" and "please" but doesn't use them appropriately.

Any ideas for minimizing the screaming?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 20 month old screams all the time

you make him ask with words or signs. You tell him 'we use our words' and wait until he stops screaming and uses some. Even if it's just "more" and pointing at the cup.

When DD was younger, she didn't use her signs right - shoot even now she says 'all done' and when you try to change the situation, she gets upset because she wasn't all done. She would go through all of the signs at once trying to make herself known. If I knew what she wanted (most of the time, I did), I'd acknowledge the fact that she was trying, show her the right sign/say the right word, and fulfill the request.

and you ignore the extraneous screaming. Like when he bumps and screams, either ignore or say 'ouchie!!' or something you like so that he finds a word to express what happened. If he drops something and screams, act like he threw it (aka, tell him to pick it back up - don't do it for him).

but yeah.. totally normal they are frustrated by their lack of communication skills. So we have to press them to try atleast instead of letting the screaming be enough.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 20 month old screams all the time

Totally normal.

My 20 month old started screaming in Target this morning, she is normally SUPER well behaved when we are out, but nothing would console her. When I asked her what was wrong she just said "not know" and went back to screaming.

Turns out she was hungry but didn't know how to tell me she wanted something to eat while we were in the store.

But she does the same thing at home if she bumps into something, someone takes her toy, I put her down when she wants to be held, etc. She's showing me she's not happy, but doesn't *quite* have all of the words she needs yet.